Planter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
After installing the drain I had 2m of pipe left over so improvised planter was created. Cut some holes in the pipe, painted it and then added some plants. Strwaberries, chilli and tomato plants. Probably won’t get much off them as the birds and squirrels have had a feast in the past and the weather doesn’t normally help.

ECFA2824 A569 4E78 BFEE A638B78DB3A9 F60954C6 2C79 4196 BA78 41CA0103EB3B 02E337A0 9203 4EFE 962E AB819FF63196 A4C1F6C4 238D 48AA 9583 F0B8F77855EB

I've seen stuff like that being sold here for 20-30€, but yea, the pipe is bit bigger and the holes are all the same with some oval shape. You did a great job and for sure it didn't cost you this much, make some pics in few Months so we can see the end product ;) (if the animals don't eat it)

I've seen stuff like that being sold here for 20-30€, but yea, the pipe is bit bigger and the holes are all the same with some oval shape. You did a great job and for sure it didn't cost you this much, make some pics in few Months so we can see the end product ;) (if the animals don't eat it)

The pipe was £11 for about 3.5m and the terracotta paint was £6. W e have a lot of plant pots in various colours so the paint was to tart them all up and make them look a bit more consistent. Hopefully we should get something off them! The holes were cut with a jigsaw and an old blade but then I found my hole cutter! Have another length of pipe which we may try some herbs in.

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
I have always admired and respected people who design machines that make things like pipes or food and so on.

However, I think the real heros though are those that have to keep the machines running and fix them when they break. When I worked at Coca-Cola the engineers who repaired the production lines when something failed were always under pressure as lost product meant lost £/$/€. They had to get the line running even when spare parts were not immediately available.

Too many things are unrepairable nowadays. Being able to repair something not only keeps that thing functioning it also helps save resources and energy used in manufacturing.

Reactions: JiggaK
OK, still some pipe left over. So this is the 2.0 version.

First saw through the pipe. Then heat it up with a (surprise) heat gun and use a screwdriver to get the hole started. Then heat it up again and use a bottle to increase the size of the hole and form the opening for the plants. This method helps stop the compost coming out when filling it up.

On this version there are only six holes for plants. The top portion is big enough to put a plastic bottle in with a trickle feed adapter for water and it is long enough that it can be positioned without a pot, it can be placed in position.

Next step is to paint it.

3C1734CA C5E4 45F6 84AB A3A2AE2C9C37 093FB452 3809 4D09 BB21 1F3766BDA729 7CDFE820 C3ED 4E1C ADD4 65F51D7DE2A6 773BD731 DB87 4D3A 8E5C 15EC4162CE13

Reactions: lakaelo
The 2.0 planter works well but the heating of the plastic must have made it brittle and before we could put anything in it, it was blown over bt the wind and snapped in two. If i did another one I would stagger the cuts.

Super glued it together and seems ok. A super glue tip is to slightly moisten both surfaces as this helps the glue to stick and activate. That is why your fingers get stuck together so quick - the moisture helps the glue.

Users who are viewing this thread