Perfectly Functional But Embarrassingly Tacky

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
My wife has started doing colouring books as a distraction and relaxation thing and it seems to be helping. However, leaning over the tablewas causing a backache. I suggested buying an easel but before doing that I thought it would be worth trying something to see if it was worthwhile. After a quick hunt around the garage I found some scrap wood and made that thing below.

The idea was to test the angle etc. So after a couple of holes drilled, two screws screwed and some fun with a nail gun and hot glue and duct tape behold the masterpiece! It actually seems to work OK and helps. I said I would go and get some decent wood and make a proper version that was finished properly but apparently my wife is perfectly pleased with this.

Then she mentioned it to my mum who does watercolour painting. Now my mum wants one. Trouble is I now have to go and buy the wood to make one for her as there isn’t any old bits in the garage I can use. We do have a nice teak dining table though, maybe a peice of that wouldn’t be missed. :)

21449DA1 49D3 45D7 8789 35E2B63131CF

So far so good. The Mrs hasn’t noticed the hole in the middle of the panel yet. I am just hoping that she doesn’t put anything on that area covered by the table cloth as it may disappear. I think she totally believed my answer the what are you sawing question when I said ‘just some bread’.

Started construction of a new one and a mini version for my mum.

Well you did a good job tho, I used to have something like that in school, when I had to do some construction drawings, it's very useful tbh,much easier to work than on a horizontal - flat table, so yea, I guess you could even earn some cash from it , you start selling that stuff, ofc you put the price bit lower than those things which are made by some companies ;) :D

Reactions: glenwilson
I would be too embarrassed to sell that but the next version maybe :)

Made my tool box about 25 years ago and is still very functional so the stuff I make usually lasts. Would really love to have a proper workshop with everything to hand and available.

BA491ED2 8034 491D A829 110CE151D427

Yes it is a PSB 18. Nice device but the batteries were utter shite. Even from new they just would not hold a charge - probably why it came with two of the things. Got a replacement battery from a third party and that has been really good - saved me from buying another drill/driver. Also have a couple of circular saws one hand held and another chop saw. Also not in the picture is a Bosch electric plane and belt sander. Had the router, sander and jigsaw for ages - had tried other makes before and they either broke or fell apart but the Bosch stuff seems to last.

I do enjoy working with wood. Shelves built on a frame have also in the garage have been up for about 25 years and the garden decking must have been about 15 years ago and is still as strong. So what I make may not be delicate and pretty but it does stay together. :)

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
Pretty much, as much as I ever started to work with that stuff, well firstly with drills, later on with grinders etc. , like when I was 12, I remember that we've always had Bosch. I know we have one old, very old angle grinder, maybe it's even older than me lol, also Bosch, it has like a orange line on the side with white text,not using it anymore, still works tho, kinda keeping it as a memory...
And yea, the batteries aren't rly the best thing ever, but I have 4 batteries with 2 chargers, so I don't loose time at all hah ^^ But it survives a lot, first time we used the psb 18, it fall down from a 12m high roof :v

This is a smaller version that my Mum wants. Not finished yet but as we are down to London at the weekend I had to get some work done on it. The one for my wife has been primed and is ready for more finishing work when we get back. Might go for a carbon fibre wrap for hers.

FBF060FE 4CBB 42A5 8623 FA10C9ECCACE

You could surprise her with that and a skateboard......She'll be over the moon...:giggle::giggle:

Great idea, multi-functional device. Just add some wheel trucks and she can skate to her painting and drawing classes!

I will alert the hospital to get an operating theatre ready and have a couple of hip replacements in stock! :)

Reactions: RIZLOID

Users who are viewing this thread