new windows install

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lakaelo

lakaelo

NRU Heed
time is come to setup e new windows install because my system is going to be more buggy every day.

also the ssd´s are quite cheap at the moment so i found some 500gb samsung for around 200.- euro. this means also i can sort off some of the old stuff running in my system ( 2x 120gb SSD, 1x 250 HD ) and put all togther into the new 500gb one. all other stuff is running into a synology backup server.

but be save to have more mess as needed i will swap the data over with windows easy transfer. never used this so i ask about some experiences with easy transfer or any other suggestions / programs ?

I have used something called (I think) disk clone which simply clones a disk from one to another. The new SSD can be in a USB caddy or within the PC. The disk clone software boots like DOS from CD and you then clone one disk to the new one. Unplug the old one and replace it with the clone and it should just reboot as before. I've also used the windows system restore where you first dump the existing drive to a file and then restore to the new drive. Make sure you create a recovery disk BEFORE doing anything or you will be thoroughly, er, f*****! Had success with both routes. Disk Clone wasn't that expensive and there are probably a few different things that do the same thing.

I would be tempted though to reinstall windows fresh though. If you go that route make sure you have working backups of data, deactivate any software like iTunes, Photoshop and so on before doing anything. Also make sure you know the Windows key. Be prepared for a lot of updates though. Took a day and a half to install Win 7 SP1 and then do all the updates even with 150mbps!

I would be tempted though to reinstall windows fresh though. If you go that route make sure you have working backups of data, deactivate any software like iTunes, Photoshop and so on before doing anything. Also make sure you know the Windows key. Be prepared for a lot of updates though. Took a day and a half to install Win 7 SP1 and then do all the updates even with 150mbps!

for sure i will make a fresh install. for that i made a 4gb dumb with easy transfer. hope this will save all the userdata with all the main settings. if this work i have "only" fresh win7 install with updates, i hope. but how i said, never used this. don´t love all this clone stuff because you always clone your trash and broken parts with that and i guess you make it worst and not use all the freshness from a new install.

Have used the Windows data thing but to be honest I would just copy all user data to a safe place, do the install and then create any users you had and copy data back. Or have data on a second drive so you don't need to copy.

Once you have done the clean install and set things up, then do a clone or a whole drive back-up and that will give you a flea copy should you need it in the future. If needed just restore from that clean install (after backing up any data of course).

Ideally put only system on one SSD, frequently played games on one and various crap on the HD. At least that's what I'm planning to do...

Ideally put only system on one SSD, frequently played games on one and various crap on the HD. At least that's what I'm planning to do...

that is what i did after christmas. runs pretty good.

system on 128 GB SSD
games on 256 GB SSD
everything else on 1 TB SATA Drive

that is what i run acutally.

1x samsung 120GB ( system )
1x samsung 120 GB ( origin )
1x 750GB western digital HD ( for other stuff like actioncam movies, other games )
1x 250GB western digital HD ( business stuff )

1x 4TB RAID synology NAS server for backups

because SSD is just "cheap" at the moment i will not buy a 256GB SD because the 500GB only cost 50.- € more. so decrease the system like this.

1x 500 GB SSD for system and business stuff
1x 120 GB SSD for origin

think i don´t use more because i see how i use my HD space actually. lot of stuff is only temporary on my pc and will get deleted or storaged into the backup server. so i think 2 SSD are more as enough for my usage.

also the business stuff will thrown out from this pc because i will seperate this more. so i just put this into the "work-cloud". this crap runs on my laptop, ultrabook and a tablet so i don´t need it on my gaming pc anymore.

beside that new system i thrown out my old 850W power supply and replace it with a 530W bequit.

i am going to downsize my system lol

Is that RAID 0 (also known as scary RAID) or RAID 1 (striped)?

I've started to use 2.5" HDDs for some data where speed isn't a requirement because they use less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread