"new" Top Gear

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Watching some of the really old Top Gears (for research only) you still get the impression that the Clarkson, May and Hammond actually get on together and whilst from different backgrounds and are different ages they still have a common enthusiasm for cars. Evans and LeBlancfeel like they are paid to work together and are reading scripts.

The guys on the extra show seem to have the same kind of enthusiasm as CMH and can talk about cars and when in studio talk about the cars as normal folk do. Yes they may need to loosen up as it is awful being in front of TV cameras (I was on a BBC TV quiz show once).

All the challenges so far have not been entertaining at all. If they do a Christmas Special I can imagine it would be something like...

Catch plane to USA.
Drive along Vegas strip (at night to make it a challenge) and try to not get given strip club leaflet
Catch plane home.

Lol! They must have watched it.

Best comment I've seen is: "Watching and listening to Chris Evans is about as enjoyable as a vasectomy carried out by Edward Scissorhands."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Newspapers here seem to be reporting that LeBlanc will walk if Evans stays (they are due to start filming next series in September). Apparently Evans behaviour isn't that great by being rude to staff and the other presenters. And, that Evans is peeved because the other new guys are getting praise.

Not watched today's episode yet.

We have loads of repeats of the older series (and they are also on Netflix) I have watched them again there is a lot of entertainment value. Yes some you can skip through but in general if there was nothing else to watch I would be happy. With the new series the only segment I would watch again is the Aston Martin Vulcan. I'm struggling to even remember what was in some of the earlier episodes.

Though the Grand Tour will probably be car biased I guess they may have more freedom of subject matter.

Last edited:
ui, great portraits. lol ok, mine would be even worst but this is also not one of the best artists. :)

think the new episode will be uploaded today so i will have a look. that evens must be a right idiot i right also here in the news so it can´t be such wrong. guess after new top gear is on air and all the "irritations" about the old topgear the show will be changed to the next seasons. call me stupid but i think the only chance to stay this show on air and save the "brand" is to make it to a real car show. maybe with some real journalists like the guy from the extra gear.
than you have to see if they going this way as a car show based on information and real testing and the presenter(s) will get some more character, personality and growing up with the show so you can open it a bit more with some "trivial" segments like challanges.

the current way, put some actors, stage hogs?!? ( the german word is "Rampensäue" ), on air to imitate the 3 boys is just awfull.

Found the portraits on Twitter. I'm rubbish when it comes to painting and drawing and suspect my efforts would be worse!

Having LeBlanc as the lead presenter with the others from extraTG would probably be a good balance. You need people who can work together in any team be it in a game, at work or on TV show. If you get one disruptive person the whole team can fail at the task.

Inventing new challenges was already going to be hard and as we have mentioned the ones in this series don't involve cars or vehicles in a primary way. Even if we had a decent budget, coming up with something that was original would be hard. They could do some of the old challenges with the view of this is how we would do it. Though CMH probably didn't do all the work on any cars they had (May and Hammond are probably able to do some of the work) the results did reflect their individual characters. I just cannot imagine Evans getting his hands dirty or of having an idea how to do something.

The London/Venice challenge didn't say why those cars were chosen. In the CMH challenges there would be some time spent on why they were chosen and even if they didn't get the cars themselves you still felt their arguments had some weight behind them.

Though there are plenty of YouTube car channels it would be a shame to lose Top Gear.

Reactions: lakaelo
Watched the latest episode and it was a bit better than some of the others as it was more about the cars. However, the stars in the car thing just seems like a chance to plug their films or books. Yes they used to do it before but it didn't seem quite as blatant as they are doing now. There still isn't anything to make me watch them again. Still seems to be a bit lacking and think it should be the two other guys from Extra and LeBlanc.

Just watched the last Top Gear and Top Gear Extra and there seemed to be less Evans than normal and thought that episode was generally better than the previous ones. TG Extra was quite good too and I thought when they were chatting towards the end it seemed unscripted and natural so maybe that group will be better going forward. LeBlanc is a bit stiff doing the studio link segments but when in the Porsche and just chatting he was fine. LeBlanc and the two other guys would be a decent team and with Sabine as an extra. Did wonder why she was calling the "good" Chris a monkey though.

Must be one of the only TV shows to have a larger studio audience than TV audience!

For us Sabby adds some German comedy value. :LOL::oops:

Apparently viewing figures for the last one was 1.9mil.

Had Top Gear on in the background while doing housework and suddenly heard the F word. Went back, and sure enough Hammond drops the F word a couple of times (series 22 episode 4 at about 58 minutes whilst doing the Land Rover dam climb). No beeping or anything. Have also heard it in a couple of other episodes (S19/E5/2m30s) on Netflix. Just surprised me as there doesn't appear to be any age restrictions on it and as it could be classed as a family programme (albeit with some adult humour). Just wondering if this is the same in other countries with Netflix.

To keep on topic, there is nothing in Series 23 that would make me watch any of the episodes again. As one comment I saw, "The Grand Tour trailer is better than the whole of the Chris Evans series". Have to agree!

Attachments

• Netflix.jpg
    Netflix.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
Finally got watch the whole of the first Grand Tour.

Overall a decent first effort. Really liked the beginning that supposedly cost £3m. The studio bits look as though they need to get used to a slightly different format. Other than that it was Top Gear trying not to be an exact copy of Top Gear. Felt the video quality was very good and even my mum enjoyed it and was planning on watching the rest of them.

Reactions: lakaelo

Users who are viewing this thread