New PC (perhaps)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
General_Misery

General_Misery

NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Halmstad - Sweden
My trusty old pc from 2010 is feeling more and more sluggish; no surprise of course.

Current PC spec:
Corsair 16 Gb DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz
Intel i5 2500k
GeForce GTX1060 3 Gb
ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE 3 GEN
Samsung SMBX2335 23'' monitor 1920 x 1080
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500 Gb (will keep this and use as a second HD)

Connected to system is a slow brain-to-triggerfinger bio system in urgent need for an upgrade :rolleyes:

I'm not a techy so thinking of buying a new PC and budget is ~ 1500 Euro/£ + cost for new monitor (maybe).

Should I wait for a while or buy soon considering new launches?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless there is something new a few weeks away that is really worth waiting for then I would start looking now. Also if there is something new coming out then old stock of previously top of the range will be cheaper. I need to upgrade my motherboard, processor and RAM so will look for something that should run Microsoft Flight Sim as that seems to be the worst game for hardware at the moment as a guide for minimum spec. Look forward to seeing what you get. Let me know what you get for the trigger finger brain upgrade as I need that too! :D

Happened to me - needed a new iPad so got one. Two months later a new one comes out. Yes it is a bit more shiny but then I could have waited until next year for an even better one. And so on. Buy when you need it or you will end up always waiting.

Reactions: General_Misery
The only reason I might wait is the low stock on certain cpus/gpus and psus which might raise prebuilt prices. (though I don't know if it is)

Last edited:
Thanks.

Re. potentially waiting: not considering buying the latest stuff but the then older but still good stuff usually drops in price so... 🙂

The new 3000 series gpu's have revolutionised the performance per buck, but the situation with supply has only benefitted the scalpers out there and keeping the prices of even the 2000 series high. If it was me I
would wait and make do with the gpu you got now until it settles. Upgrade the rest first not forgetting the psu to handle the new stuff and the gpu later.
My $0.02

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mTVXMv A few ideas. Haven't included a GPU as the 3070s are sold out. I managed to pick up one before they cleared out. Absolutely cracking card and highly recommend waiting for one for the price/performance. (2080 performance for around 500 quid before prices got inflated!) You could also change the cpu cooler and would need some case fans. That would be a solid setup and in around your budget once a few tweaks applied.

Fierce.

It might be me, but the $140 for an OEM key of Windows 10 Pro seems a bit much. In my region (The Netherlands) those keys go for like 20-30 euro (approx. 25-35 dollar), would save you some money for some other goodies ;)

Reactions: lakaelo
I got my Windows 10 (s) by joining Technet for a year. Got everything they did (and have done) for that subscription and you got a few keys for each version and so on. They have stopped it now.

Or you can get it free if you know someone who works or is in education

You can still upgrade from Win 7/8 to Win 10 somehow.

Cant you just use the HDD it is installed in now and then go on the windows reg site select new hardware installed and register it all then transfer to new HDD.
Thats what I did with mine, new computer with the old/same windows 10 pro license.

Reactions: The_Hellr1der

Users who are viewing this thread