Networks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Yesterday there was a question about WiFi extenders and power line adapters.

I have used both recently so here is my two pence worth.

Our house has plasterboard internal walls so as the router is placed roughly in the middle of the house we get decent coverage throughout. The set-up we use is:
  1. IP provided modem/WiFi/router running in modem only mode.
  2. D-Link Router for WiFi and ethernet connections
  3. Three Passive switches for ethernet cabling
  4. Second WiFi/Router used for connecting server to ethernet and for providing WiFi to the garden.
I have used a WiFi extender for the garden which worked well for most uses. Ping for gaming on iPad was an issue though in multi player games. I have used power line extenders previously but in our house it is easier to run ethernet cables and the circuits in the house are a bit weird as they don’t always connect. Power line does give a much more consistent connection under some circumstances than WiFi and WiFi + extender.

Most devices in the house are cabled to enable video streaming from the server, mac mini etc. The exception is the Apple TV which can do 350mbps over wifi but is limited to 100 over ethernet.

In my Mums older house with brick interior walls power line works really well.

Obviously peoples houses or accommodation with be different. For PC gaming I would suggest that power line connection would be a better more stable option as a pair of units can be got for about the same price as a WiFi extender and are easier to set up.

The problem I've found with powerline and gaming is latency :(

Have to admit I have only played using a direct ethernet connection apart from when there was no broadband and had to use my mobile internet.

Any system that has to do something like with powerline or a wifi extender must, in theory have some additional latency compared to a direct cable connection. Ultimately it will depend on the best compromise for the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread