Mushroom risotto

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Actually took a while to get good at making risotto.

The stock.
A few days before start collecting veg peelings and any unused bits and put them in a stock pot with water. Depending on what we have may add an onion and a potato or anything else that may be close to going in the bin. Also add a little salt and pepper. Then bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour to create the stock. Allow to cool and strain (keeping the liquid of course and discarding the veg!

The Mushrooms
We can get about 1kg of organic mushrooms for about £2.80 but mushrooms that have been reduced in the supermarket work too. Make sure they are clean and start to cook them in some oil until they are soft but not mushy. Cooking them first adds to their flavour and you can freeze them at this point and they will be ready to use whenever you need them. I add so Lea and Perrins to enhance the flavours.

The risotto.
  1. Get a saucepan and heat the stock in it and get that warming up.
  2. In another pan put some olive oil and a diced onion and cook until the onion is soft.
  3. Then add 50gm per person of risotto rice and allow that to cook for a minute or two
  4. Gradually add 200mls of wine. We just use cheap stuff as we only have cheap stuff! I have also used beer and cider instead of wine. For beer and cider you will usually have some left over so it is important not to waste it and make sure it tastes OK.
  5. Once the wine has nearly gone add about half a ladle of your warm stock. and allow that to be absorbed by the rice.
  6. After about 10 minutes add any liquid that may be with the mushrooms from when you cooked them.
  7. At about 15 minutes test the rice to see how cooked it is. Usually find that it still has a little bite to it. If that is the case add the mushrooms.
  8. Continue adding stock to make suer it doesn't dry out and every few minutes try the rice to make sure it doesn't get over cooked.
  9. When the rice is almost cooked, add 50gms of butter and about 50gms of grated parmesan cheese. This just helps make it a much richer risotto.
  10. Keep cooking and adding small amounts of stock until the rice is cooked. I usually find this is when the rice is still firm but doesn't have much bite to it. Also, keep it moist enough so that it doesn't become a stodgy mess.
  11. Serve. You can add some more grated parmesan at this point if you want.

• Whilst cooking taste the liquid to see if you need to add salt or pepper.Doesn't need that much and will also depend on the flavour of the stock.
  • When cooking the onion you can a few anchovies. These will disappear once you add the rice and stock but will add to the overall flavour - you may not have to add salt when cooking if you use these.
  • Though simple you do need to constantly watch the cook to avoid it drying out and getting stodgy, under or over cooked.
  • Cost will depend on the price of mushrooms but if you buy the rice and make your own stock then it could be around £1.50 for two plus about 30 minutes of your time.
  • Instead of mushrooms you can of course use other things. I have used asparagus/spargel - cut into smaller 2.5cm pieces and add about 10 minutes before the rice is cooked

Riot_co

Riot_co

NRU Member
31 Jul 2021
Croatia
Actually took a while to get good at making risotto.

The stock.
A few days before start collecting veg peelings and any unused bits and put them in a stock pot with water. Depending on what we have may add an onion and a potato or anything else that may be close to going in the bin. Also add a little salt and pepper. Then bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour to create the stock. Allow to cool and strain (keeping the liquid of course and discarding the veg!

The Mushrooms
We can get about 1kg of organic mushrooms for about £2.80 but mushrooms that have been reduced in the supermarket work too. Make sure they are clean and start to cook them in some oil until they are soft but not mushy. Cooking them first adds to their flavour and you can freeze them at this point and they will be ready to use whenever you need them. I add so Lea and Perrins to enhance the flavours.

The risotto.
  1. Get a saucepan and heat the stock in it and get that warming up.
  2. In another pan put some olive oil and a diced onion and cook until the onion is soft.
  3. Then add 50gm per person of risotto rice and allow that to cook for a minute or two
  4. Gradually add 200mls of wine. We just use cheap stuff as we only have cheap stuff! I have also used beer and cider instead of wine. For beer and cider you will usually have some left over so it is important not to waste it and make sure it tastes OK.
  5. Once the wine has nearly gone add about half a ladle of your warm stock. and allow that to be absorbed by the rice.
  6. After about 10 minutes add any liquid that may be with the mushrooms from when you cooked them.
  7. At about 15 minutes test the rice to see how cooked it is. Usually find that it still has a little bite to it. If that is the case add the mushrooms.
  8. Continue adding stock to make suer it doesn't dry out and every few minutes try the rice to make sure it doesn't get over cooked.
  9. When the rice is almost cooked, add 50gms of butter and about 50gms of grated parmesan cheese. This just helps make it a much richer risotto.
  10. Keep cooking and adding small amounts of stock until the rice is cooked. I usually find this is when the rice is still firm but doesn't have much bite to it. Also, keep it moist enough so that it doesn't become a stodgy mess.
  11. Serve. You can add some more grated parmesan at this point if you want.

• Whilst cooking taste the liquid to see if you need to add salt or pepper.Doesn't need that much and will also depend on the flavour of the stock.
  • When cooking the onion you can a few anchovies. These will disappear once you add the rice and stock but will add to the overall flavour - you may not have to add salt when cooking if you use these.
  • Though simple you do need to constantly watch the cook to avoid it drying out and getting stodgy, under or over cooked.
  • Cost will depend on the price of mushrooms but if you buy the rice and make your own stock then it could be around £1.50 for two plus about 30 minutes of your time.
  • Instead of mushrooms you can of course use other things. I have used asparagus/spargel - cut into smaller 2.5cm pieces and add about 10 minutes before the rice is cooked
GREAT instruction, ty, some really nice tricks there for risottos <3 BUT i noticed main ingridient missing, to take a sip of good beer after every step :p makes risotto oh so much more yummy.

for me stocks are biggest problem to make, but as im older I started to appreciate its importance in risottos, it ads sooo much flavor its amazing!

Reactions: glenwilson
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
You are right about stocks. Trouble with homemade ones is that can vary a lot depending on what you put in them or have to hand. If I make too much just bung it in a freezer bag and put that in a square plastic dish - just makes it esier to have in the freezer than an awkward shaped bag.

The only stock we ever buy is a shellfish stock that is used in the prawn/brandy/pasta recipe.below.

Someone on here suggested using stock to cook ordinary rice in and that is really good too. Adds flavour to plain rice but isn't overpowering.

Prawns and pasta
For sauce:
  • Chopped shallots
  • Garlic
  • Herbs
  • Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Tomato paste
  • Brandy (flame off)
  • Shellfish stock

Cook sauce ( soften the shallots first ) then add herbs and tomato paste and cook for a while, then add the brandy, a few decent glugs and flame it off, then add some shellfish stock, cook until you get a thickish sauce and then sieve it.

Start pasta cooking - we tend to use tagliatelle.

Cook prawns (until just coloured) then add some of the sauce to flavour and finish cooking.

Add sauce to a pan and drain and add pasta when ready, then serve pasta with the pawns on top.

Reactions: Riot_co
Riot_co

Riot_co

NRU Member
31 Jul 2021
Croatia
Yeah I thought of doing small portions then freezing them. Wife often cooks chicken soup so i thought to get into the action to make stock from it. I know its not veggie one, but chicken should work fine.

that pasta sounds yummy. I only made prawn risotto and that much more simpler than this, but imm wiling to try the brandy thing, i never did that before. I presume its special kind of brandy or just household brand? Could any strong alcohol do?
But first im doning bread pudding, thats on menu this saturday probably, oof im drooling already.

glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We only use veggie stock (apart from very occasional shellfish) as the wife is vegetarian (sometimes has seafood though). Any good stocks will work.

Reactions: Riot_co

Users who are viewing this thread