More Welsh Castles

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Would normally post a few castle pictures but the internet around on my phone just chuckles and says you want to do what? The cottage has internet but I'm pretty sure there must be someone converting what I type and sending it via morse code!

Will upload a few when I get home. Some of the castles around here (the very pointy bit of Wales at the bottom left corner) date back to around the 11th century.

Reactions: lakaelo
We're already looking forward to seeing them! :happy:

Reactions: glenwilson
Nice castle, I see they are installing double glazing......it will look great when its finished......:LOL:
Sorry I could'nt help myself...(y)

Reactions: glenwilson
The first picture is what we used to call a mobile phone (you were mobile and used it to phone :) ). Didn't think there were any left that worked. This one still works but has seen better days. The second pic is of Pembroke castle and the third I'm not sure of.

IMG 2984 IMG 2993 IMG 3045

Attachments

• IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    715.8 KB · Views: 0
Magnificent pictures, Glen, thank you very much. :)

i am always excited from the oppsosites at this castles. you can see a old, half broken castle ruin and the surrounding lawn is nicely cutted, some decent benches and so on. all looks so well groomed.

maybe i am wrong but i think i never saw this in germany in this perfection.

i am always excited from the oppsosites at this castles. you can see a old, half broken castle ruin and the surrounding lawn is nicely cutted, some decent benches and so on. all looks so well groomed.

maybe i am wrong but i think i never saw this in germany in this perfection.

Maybe that is why so many Germans seemed to be around when we were there! :) Some (castles not Germans) can be quite neglected which is a shame.

The older and more remote 11th century castles were often dismantled to use the stone for other projects nearby. More recent castles in prominent locations tend to be more intact. Wales had about 600 castles of which 100 can still be found (in various states of repair) and is often called the castle capital of the world.

List of castles in Wales - Wikipedia

There are also some nice abbeys around too. When Henry VIII dissolved many of them they too ended becoming quarries for other buildings nearby. Whilst I'm not religious I can appreciate why they chose the locations and the peacefulness of the surroundings. The same for the castles too, it is nice to just sit and imagine what the place must have been like in the past.

IMG 3007 IMG 3041 IMG 3056

Users who are viewing this thread