Matt paint for metal - suggestions?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
General_Misery

General_Misery

NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Halmstad - Sweden
We have some chairs with matt black metal legs/frame and some have some small scratches that I’d like to cover, see pic below. Thus, don’t need more than 10 ml or so but have been struggling to find an appropiate paint.

Any suggestions including type of brush?

Thanks.

FB20DA7B 2986 4BC3 8A33 38451657B672

Nail polish, unless you wanna repaint the full chair then you need to use metal paint but that means fully sanding it and stuff. Or powered coat it

We have some chairs with matt black metal legs/frame and some have some small scratches that I’d like to cover, see pic below. Thus, don’t need more than 10 ml or so but have been struggling to find an appropiate paint.

Any suggestions including type of brush?

Thanks.

View attachment 12882
If you are anyway near as "good" at tinkering as me then march to a store and just buy new set of chairs. 😅

homer simpson GIF

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo and RIZLOID
I would go for something like a lacquer paint (similar to nail varnish as Cap suggests) as they dry quick and are very hard wearing.

You can get a lot of black paints that you should be able to match - Tamiya LP-3 is matt black is about £1.80 here so would think about €2 ish. Model shops may stock them but you may need to mail order. Also get some lacquer thinners for thinning and brush cleaning. These are quite thin so you may need to put a couple of coats on. Though really designed for airbrushes they do brush really well and self-level so you have to really work hard to get brush strokes.

Load the brush up and the use it to fill the area rather than paint it in. Love these paints as you can paint something and very quickly it is touch dry and within an hour it is tough.

LP-1 is gloss black
LP-5 is semi gloss (satin)
LP-3 is matt

You could mix them to get the finish you are looking for.

You can get acrylic paints but they tend not to be so hard wearing.

Though you can get rattle cans they are harder to get a consistent finish for something like you need.

If you have a place that does car paints then you could get something matching there. Spray (carefully) the paint into a small cup and use it with a brush.

Last edited:
Instead of paint why not cover it with something like
Also protects from future scratches :unsure:

Many, many thanks to all of you! 👍🏻🙏🏻😀

I’ll investigate further based on your various suggestions.

Footnote: it’s hard to assess the properties of the paint from the pic but it may be more satin than matt… 😉

Users who are viewing this thread