Marmite!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Its the most disgusting taste on the planet...I mean up there at the top of disgusting....and then they spread it on bread....:eek::eek::eek::hungover::hungover::dead::dead:

When my kids were born hospitals used to give the new mothers a bag of samples...a couple of nappies small tub of cream etc. and there was always a small tub of Marmite.
Well..I tried it out on all my kids and their reaction was that WTF face that tells it all....none of mine can stand the taste of the gunge.o_O

When I was in England for the first time, I was eager to taste that traditional British food spread.
Phew.
I never tasted anything like that in my life – a dark, pungent mélange of salt and yeast.
Very, very much salt and very, very much yeast, to be exact.

Well... I didn’t know that my palate could experience shock and... err... a trauma ... suffice it to say that I never ever touched it again. ;)

Our house... distinctly split in two:
Wifey and Tedd - yum yum in my tum. Tedd sits with a jar and dips his hand in :eek:

Redd and I - WTF face :confused::eek:(n)

Although you can rub it on a poor cut of beef to amplify the flavour of the beef, then it's 'ok' I find.

I used to live close to the town where it's made... if you want to traumatize yourself visit Burton Upon Trent and park anywhere in a .5km radius of the factory :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

It's amazing especially on toast with melted butter

Yes! It is awesome that way. I get it in dealer sized tubs. None of those namby pamby little jars for me. Isobel always has one of those “looks” when I get the tub out. The disgust couldn’t be worse if I was eating unicorn steaks. It is vegetarian though and as it says does make a good addition to a stock for risotto.

When a I worked at the brewery, spent yeast either went to Marmite or for cattle feed.
341EE740 DA66 4C9B B22C DBFE07284270 DA39C7CD 4B9D 4B60 BB3B 4723CD1F74DE

Need to try this. Glazed doughnut with Marmite and cheese and then toasted!!! All three (of four) basic food groups. If only the doughnut was coffee flavour it would be 4/4!!! :D

8FA119EE EB6E 4B35 8ABA 4E9EF7D0180E

Cheesy red pepper dip! Originally found this in the US and have managed to perfect a version of it.

Ingredients: 2 cups of grated cheese (about 200gms), 250gms of marscapone, 75mls mayonnaise, 1 large red pepper, finely chopped, 3gms garlic salt, 3gms cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and you are done. Leave for a few hours and the ingredients start to work together. If you like things with a bit of heat add some chilli to it.

70397765 D139 446B 9C0B 2E4A7E2159E9

Cheesy red pepper dip! Originally found this in the US and have managed to perfect a version of it.

Ingredients: 2 cups of grated cheese (about 200gms), 250gms of marscapone, 75mls mayonnaise, 1 large red pepper, finely chopped, 3gms garlic salt, 3gms cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and you are done. Leave for a few hours and the ingredients start to work together. If you like things with a bit of heat add some chilli to it.

View attachment 4422
Now you're talking(y)

No sticky brown gunk that smells like my dogs rear in sight, Daddy likes that :p

I was in Canada when I first tried the Australian version of this, which is called "Vegemite". There apparently is a mud war going on about which is the "real" one :D

I was half drunk when I crashed on a friend's couch and because we were hungry, he made something to eat. I had Vegemite spread on toast with butter, but only in traces, so thin that it barely colored the melted butter brown. I thought "This---is---heaven!" as it gave back some of the minerals that the "beer in / beer out" cycle took with it :LOL::LOL:

So apparently the trick is to start with homeopathic doses and work your way up - if you get to know it spread it so thickly that you see tooth marks in the bites, no wonder you dont like the taste haha.. I always have a pot/a tube of it in the kitchen and I love it, but Glen... this bucket o_O:eek: you and that stuff - it must be real love :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have tried vegemite but wasn’t keen on it. Probably a bit like Coke v Pepsi, Burger King v McDonalds etc. It is what you like. I don’t hate Pepsi or McDonalds but prefer Coke (I admit I did work for them) and BK. My wife is rather generous with Marmite which is OK. The tub is from Costco and costs a lot less than supermarket Marmite otherwise a subscription on Amazon for Marmite would be needed!

Users who are viewing this thread