Lunar Eclipse

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
yes you can see them on the picture of the severinsbrücke ;)

Really nice photos. Would have been nice to see.

Our view of the eclipse is below. There have also been some bright nearly overhead passes of the ISS (see photo below too). There are two passes tonight one about 22:13 and a second at 23:50 ( exact times will depend on where you are).
It is easily visible with the naked eye and looks like a really fast plane going west to east.

UK times are here but adjust for European times as required.

ISS - International Space Station Passes UK Summer 2018 -
04025309 CB70 4FFE B709 EC2758E5DD07

Well i thought that the pictures would be way worse when i packed the camera :)

girlfriend gladly did not complain about me making the photos since it took quite a while because of 30 seconds exposuretime to obtain low ISO value ;)

Even more interresting have been all the impatient people that where walking back and forth cause they thought they would see the moon earlier then - and they didnt even see it as the sun was going down and you could see that you were unable to see the moon because the heaven was still too bright from the sun;)

and i thought i am impatient :D

I would have been proud of your photos! Despite there being time restraints for the eclipse you still need patience and confidence to get results like that.

Long exposures can be real pigs to do and get right - I can’t think of any that I have tried and been truely happy with. For long exposures, you really need a tripod, or a solid structure to put the camera on. Small bean bags are useful and easy to carry around. I am really thinking of getting a Platypod (a flat plate with 3 adjustable feet and a ball head) that is very versatile and easy to carry about.).An electronic realease or use the self timer really helps avoid the shutter push and if you are using an SLR use the mirror lock mode too as the action of the mirror moving up can also give a shudder. At least with digital cameras you can check the result after each attempt and try again. Film was about having a lot of faith in what you are doing and the settings you used. I would never have considered doing a wedding with film.

I am getting past the age where I can carry 20kg of camera kit wherever we go. With cameras in phones becoming very good quite often you don’t need a stand alone camera except for events where you need much more control over exposure and other settings.

Sadly i missed the eclipse thanks to the massive black clouds we had on the sky. got a bit of thunderstorm too.

I ended up in Hospital, and still not sure what's going on with my health, gotta visit few more doctors tomorrow. But I managed to take a pic
37878859_1617991101642922_6732486237208182784_n.jpg

I would have been proud of your photos! Despite there being time restraints for the eclipse you still need patience and confidence to get results like that.

Long exposures can be real pigs to do and get right - I can’t think of any that I have tried and been truely happy with. For long exposures, you really need a tripod, or a solid structure to put the camera on. Small bean bags are useful and easy to carry around. I am really thinking of getting a Platypod (a flat plate with 3 adjustable feet and a ball head) that is very versatile and easy to carry about.).An electronic realease or use the self timer really helps avoid the shutter push and if you are using an SLR use the mirror lock mode too as the action of the mirror moving up can also give a shudder. At least with digital cameras you can check the result after each attempt and try again. Film was about having a lot of faith in what you are doing and the settings you used. I would never have considered doing a wedding with film.

I am getting past the age where I can carry 20kg of camera kit wherever we go. With cameras in phones becoming very good quite often you don’t need a stand alone camera except for events where you need much more control over exposure and other settings.

Well my nikon d7000 serves me well since 5 years now and an old tripod from my father that he does not need anymore :) i bought a remote release for less than 10 euros at amazon ages ago and used it the first time at friday :) before i had only seen expensive nikon originals that cost 100 euros and i would rather save that on a second lens
(instead i used a rubber band and lego to use the bulb mode and press down the release and punched away the lego when i thought the sensor was long enough exposed)

before i had an old analog slr from my father as well - did long exposures in night and it worked but the problem was that i couldnt develop the pictures on my own so i had to stick with cewe crap at the local schlecker back in time(germans will know ;)) and oh damn did they do a bad job

overall they looked ok analog and it was indeed an adventure until you got the final photos

and thanks for your kind words about the quality ;)

Reactions: Redd Tedd
I ended up in Hospital, and still not sure what's going on with my health, gotta visit few more doctors tomorrow. But I managed to take a pic
37878859_1617991101642922_6732486237208182784_n.jpg
that looks more like a big fat slice of chorizo.

These are gorgeous pictures indeed, Steffos, many thanks for sharing. (y)

A trip to the countryside provided the best view and we were delighted to see the shining bright white light of the moon transforming into a fascinating orange-red hue.
There was a little girl standing nearby with her parents and we accidentally overheard her saying: “Oh dear... when does the moon finally bleed?” :)

Well my nikon d7000 serves me well since 5 years now and an old tripod from my father that he does not need anymore :) i bought a remote release for less than 10 euros at amazon ages ago and used it the first time at friday :) before i had only seen expensive nikon originals that cost 100 euros and i would rather save that on a second lens
(instead i used a rubber band and lego to use the bulb mode and press down the release and punched away the lego when i thought the sensor was long enough exposed)

before i had an old analog slr from my father as well - did long exposures in night and it worked but the problem was that i couldnt develop the pictures on my own so i had to stick with cewe crap at the local schlecker back in time(germans will know ;)) and oh damn did they do a bad job

overall they looked ok analog and it was indeed an adventure until you got the final photos

and thanks for your kind words about the quality ;)

There are times where branded items are worth the money for compatibility and sometimes quality. I got some wireless flash triggers years ago when I was doing headshots for corporate websites and I still have them and they were a fraction of the cost of the big name triggers. There are decent alternatives to brand name lenses - Sigma for example. These are generally as good but can be less expensive because they are not constrained to a single brand. I made a rotating mount of timelapse out of a £2 IKEA kitchen timer. If it works...

I would swap to Nikon to be able to get one of these: APO 200-500mm F2.8 / 400-1000mm F5.6 EX DG - Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd. Not very practical but you would win any mine is bigger than yours competitions. :)

I have used TriggerTrap a phone app that you can use for automatic camera triggering based on movement, time and so on. I also have a remote trigger that wasn’t expensive for a branded accessory. I have always had Pentax cameras but wish that I had gone Nikon as it would cost about £10,000 to replace just the lenses I have. Getting good glass is better than a new camera body. I still have and use lenses that are 40yrs old. My Pentax 50mm f1.4 is still useful and the Tamron 500mm stills gets a run out every so often too. Older lenses are manual focus and take longer to use. I really need to experiment with the LensBaby I have.

Good equipment helps but you still need to learn photography basics and practice to improve your skills.

Seeing your long exposures has definitely inspiredme to try long exposures more and for star trails but we have a lot of light pollution so will need to travel to somewhere dark. Looks like there may be a clear sky for tonights ISS passes - could be a late night!

Actually managed to get an image of the International Space Station tonight!!! Taken on my phone using the Nightcap app. Approximately 2 minute exposure with phone mounted on a gorillapod and using headphone as trigger.

CC3CB36C 9AD2 461D BC37 ECD87A4FBBB0

These are gorgeous pictures indeed, Steffos, many thanks for sharing. (y)

A trip to the countryside provided the best view and we were delighted to see the shining bright white light of the moon transforming into a fascinating orange-red hue.
There was a little girl standing nearby with her parents and we accidentally overheard her saying: “Oh dear... when does the moon finally bleed?” :)

I would also have enjoyed to see it from a less light polluted place :)

But I can totally understand that girl :) I think that whole blood moon metaphor is pretty silly ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

--- Post updated ---
LMAO!!!! Once again someone brings tears of laughter to my eyes.

Not sure what the small thing is. Could be a geostationary satellite as the exposure was about 2-3 minutes.

Well but indeed you should fix your phone

Reactions: glenwilson

Users who are viewing this thread