Looking after yourself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
The main reason we hadn't been down to visit her before (apart from the lockdowns) was that she would still go and see all her friends and do her painting classes and so on and we were maybe over paranoid about mixing with that. Last week was planned with those jobs in mind, we knew what we were going to do an that we wouldn't be going out anywhere - she went to a pub quiz and a panto. Same for the cooking, we planned in advance what we were going to have and had a lot of stiff like rice and couscous already weighed and ready to go. She has always been the same though, just seems incapable of showing any interest in anything and it does feel deflating.

Forgot that the charging lead for het iPad had broken and left a bit inside of the lightning port so you just had to get it in just right for it to charge. She no longer uses her PC so it was quite important. That was the first job to see if I could get the piece out or take it for a repair. Spent 45 minutes fishing the bits out but got it done. Gave it to her and got "have you got a new lead for it".

Have also spent time setting up stuff to make it easier like voice controlled lights for the ones that are in awkward places where she cannot get to switches. So Echo, lights on/off controls them. Been there an hour or so and then got "the lights don't work". On one the bulb had blown which she had replaced but it still didn't work. When the bulb blew it took out the fuse in the plug - maybe she just didn't think of changing that. That was one of the lamps that uses a connected plug-in socket. The socket wasn't there! Eventually found it in a draw in a storage cupboard. She never touched it apparently. Need to set up some cameras to spot the technology moving poltergeists!

I know it sounds like I am moaning, but the Mrs was miffed by it too. We are really trying to help her. She has trouble getting up stairs so we said why not get a stair lift installed. Nope the seats are uncomfortable. If it helps you go up and down stairs a minute or so isn't that bad. Same for the garden, it is a real mess and now that she is less mobile not that safe. We have suggested getting gardeners in to plan it and make it useable for her. It really would need a lot of working digging and building that the younger me could do but not now. That would be too expensive!!! 😡 She has more than enough money to get it done and it would help her. We suggested that she gets one of those push frames that you can also sit on for when she goes out. Took her to the shop (this was a while back) spent about 1.5 hours looking but none were quite right for her. The day after we got home she and a friend went to a place and she found the perfect one. Yep, exactly the same one we had already looked at.

OK, one final story. I know what hip pains is like. Until I got different meds it really was agony. So Mum started getting hip pain, went to the doctors and so on. Apparently despite medication the pain was severe. It was gradually getting worse and she was in a lot of discomfort. She got to see a consultant, had all the x-rays and tests and was put on the list for a replacement him. So around May 2019 she was due to have it done. There was a mix-up so it didn't happen. In Sept 2019 it was scheduled to be done. We went down so and took her for the pre-op check-up. They explained that it was really risky but she said the pain was that bad she wanted it done. So the next Monday we take her to the hospital for the op. My wife was with her for the pre-op stuff and the surgeon sat her down for a chat and she said the pain was bad and wanted to go ahead. The surgeon, with my wife there, said as you know the operation may not be sucessful because of her age and on top of that he thought that it was risky because of other health issues. Nope, she still wanted to go ahead with it as the pain was so bad the risk was worth it. He reiterated to confirm things that 'as you know the hip replacement may not be successful but there is a 90% chance that she may not make it through the operation! At that point she decided not to have the op and we went home.

On Wednesday the Mrs was going to the Tutankhamen exhibition that was on in London. Which was fine as I would stay with Mum and if the op had gone ahead seh would have been in hospital anyway. Wednesday morning mum was complaining of having back ache all night. So Iz went off to the exhibition. Apparently the pain mum had got worse so we called the 111 line - not emergency but if you have concerns. So off she goes to hospital in the ambulance and I followed in the car. Spent 8 hours getting tests and examinations and the couldn't find anything. Doctors seemed a bit sceptical about the cause and the symptoms became pretty vague. So back home we went.

Next day she went to lunch with her friends and on the Friday she went out for a pub quiz thing. The hospital day was never mentioned and the hip replacement has also been forgotten about and the pain gone! A miracle!

Honestly think it is something like Munchausen's syndrome. Seems to fit all the descriptions. When she wanted a lot of her paperwork stuff sorted (at the time for the hip op) there was a 2 year cycle where something would happen like an ulcer, or knee pain, or the hip pain that would involve the doctor, loads of tests but ultimately nothing happens and it isn't mentioned again. We found boxes of tablets for the hip pain that were unopened. Some of her friends have been very ill and it feels like she needs to have something wrong for the sympathy.

OK, that is it! Helps to get it down in writing so if you got this far thanks for listening and it isn't a cry for help or sympathy. 😊

The main reason we hadn't been down to visit her before (apart from the lockdowns) was that she would still go and see all her friends and do her painting classes and so on and we were maybe over paranoid about mixing with that. Last week was planned with those jobs in mind, we knew what we were going to do an that we wouldn't be going out anywhere - she went to a pub quiz and a panto. Same for the cooking, we planned in advance what we were going to have and had a lot of stiff like rice and couscous already weighed and ready to go. She has always been the same though, just seems incapable of showing any interest in anything and it does feel deflating.

Forgot that the charging lead for het iPad had broken and left a bit inside of the lightning port so you just had to get it in just right for it to charge. She no longer uses her PC so it was quite important. That was the first job to see if I could get the piece out or take it for a repair. Spent 45 minutes fishing the bits out but got it done. Gave it to her and got "have you got a new lead for it".

Have also spent time setting up stuff to make it easier like voice controlled lights for the ones that are in awkward places where she cannot get to switches. So Echo, lights on/off controls them. Been there an hour or so and then got "the lights don't work". On one the bulb had blown which she had replaced but it still didn't work. When the bulb blew it took out the fuse in the plug - maybe she just didn't think of changing that. That was one of the lamps that uses a connected plug-in socket. The socket wasn't there! Eventually found it in a draw in a storage cupboard. She never touched it apparently. Need to set up some cameras to spot the technology moving poltergeists!

I know it sounds like I am moaning, but the Mrs was miffed by it too. We are really trying to help her. She has trouble getting up stairs so we said why not get a stair lift installed. Nope the seats are uncomfortable. If it helps you go up and down stairs a minute or so isn't that bad. Same for the garden, it is a real mess and now that she is less mobile not that safe. We have suggested getting gardeners in to plan it and make it useable for her. It really would need a lot of working digging and building that the younger me could do but not now. That would be too expensive!!! 😡 She has more than enough money to get it done and it would help her. We suggested that she gets one of those push frames that you can also sit on for when she goes out. Took her to the shop (this was a while back) spent about 1.5 hours looking but none were quite right for her. The day after we got home she and a friend went to a place and she found the perfect one. Yep, exactly the same one we had already looked at.

OK, one final story. I know what hip pains is like. Until I got different meds it really was agony. So Mum started getting hip pain, went to the doctors and so on. Apparently despite medication the pain was severe. It was gradually getting worse and she was in a lot of discomfort. She got to see a consultant, had all the x-rays and tests and was put on the list for a replacement him. So around May 2019 she was due to have it done. There was a mix-up so it didn't happen. In Sept 2019 it was scheduled to be done. We went down so and took her for the pre-op check-up. They explained that it was really risky but she said the pain was that bad she wanted it done. So the next Monday we take her to the hospital for the op. My wife was with her for the pre-op stuff and the surgeon sat her down for a chat and she said the pain was bad and wanted to go ahead. The surgeon, with my wife there, said as you know the operation may not be sucessful because of her age and on top of that he thought that it was risky because of other health issues. Nope, she still wanted to go ahead with it as the pain was so bad the risk was worth it. He reiterated to confirm things that 'as you know the hip replacement may not be successful but there is a 90% chance that she may not make it through the operation! At that point she decided not to have the op and we went home.

On Wednesday the Mrs was going to the Tutankhamen exhibition that was on in London. Which was fine as I would stay with Mum and if the op had gone ahead seh would have been in hospital anyway. Wednesday morning mum was complaining of having back ache all night. So Iz went off to the exhibition. Apparently the pain mum had got worse so we called the 111 line - not emergency but if you have concerns. So off she goes to hospital in the ambulance and I followed in the car. Spent 8 hours getting tests and examinations and the couldn't find anything. Doctors seemed a bit sceptical about the cause and the symptoms became pretty vague. So back home we went.

Next day she went to lunch with her friends and on the Friday she went out for a pub quiz thing. The hospital day was never mentioned and the hip replacement has also been forgotten about and the pain gone! A miracle!

Honestly think it is something like Munchausen's syndrome. Seems to fit all the descriptions. When she wanted a lot of her paperwork stuff sorted (at the time for the hip op) there was a 2 year cycle where something would happen like an ulcer, or knee pain, or the hip pain that would involve the doctor, loads of tests but ultimately nothing happens and it isn't mentioned again. We found boxes of tablets for the hip pain that were unopened. Some of her friends have been very ill and it feels like she needs to have something wrong for the sympathy.

OK, that is it! Helps to get it down in writing so if you got this far thanks for listening and it isn't a cry for help or sympathy. 😊
it does help to put it all on paper or screen, well we listen man! I know its not a cry but it helps to share situations where you basically cant do anything about them :/ feels unfunished and like pushed to the corner. You do lovely thing for your mum, and its nice that you dont give up no matter how irritating it must be, and im sure it is. Keep it tight man 🫂

how is the lamps and stuff, im looking to automate my home (room) a bit more, i also forgot u guys have the best plugs with fuse and stuff.
wow a 90% chance is quite insane, i guess its indeed a big opperiation close to vital organs and veins.

how is the lamps and stuff, im looking to automate my home (room) a bit more, i also forgot u guys have the best plugs with fuse and stuff.
wow a 90% chance is quite insane, i guess its indeed a big opperiation close to vital organs and veins.
The plugs we used for her are from WeMo which are Echo and Apple compatible but there are many more now that rae a lot cheaper, smaller and have more compatibility. We have a few here that are used where you cannot get to a socket easily or for something where a timer is useful. For lights we use Hue as they just work really well though some bulbs are a bit spendy but have lasted OK. Ones that you don't need a hub are more convenient.

The hip op is relatively low risk and routine but she has 'allegedly' underlying risks like heart that really bump up the risk. We advised against it but it was literally last minute before she backed down.

OK, that is it! Helps to get it down in writing so if you got this far thanks for listening and it isn't a cry for help or sympath
Also a audiobook would be a Option. 😳

You know, if I wasn’t going there with a friend I would absolutely do that
you could moan together...
sexy exercise GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Riot_co
@glenwilson: I suspect your mother has a twin in my mother :rolleyes:

She is now 94 yrs and the moaning and complaining is getting worse every year. The only way I can get ~ neutral comments is if I bring wife/son/daughter with me but if I go there on my own... My dad (who passed away 2009) was quite the opposite, they sort of balanced each other. He was almost always positive and cheerful despite various health problems the last five years or so of his life.

Some examples:

Mum (M): Why don't you ever call me, I've been waiting and waiting.
Me (S): I've tried more or less every day but you never answer, probably due to a flat battery or you're sleeping.
M: You know how much I like to get a call.
S: Yes but...

S: Oh, haven't we had a lovely and sunny weather the past week?
M: No, it was windy one day.

S: Hello Mum, I brought you (bag full of fruit, chocolate and other stuff she asked for and some nice surprises)!
M: Haven't you bought XYZ?
S: No, you never mentioned those and I asked you to please let me know if there was anything else - no problem.
M: Yes, I told you.
S: Sorry Mum, you didn't but I'll bring it next time.
M: You never listen!
S: (sigh). Look, I got you some tasty Italian bisquits with almonds; I know you like them.
M: (grumpy face) I already have lots of bisquits like that.
S: No, not this kind; I checked last time I was here.
M: (not looking pleased).

I can of course empathize with the agony of being very old, having aches and pain, losing friends, feeling lonely etc. but my brother (who gets the same tretment) and I try our best in making her life better and still...

Reactions: glenwilson
I think you could be right! Those sort of conversations sound so familiar! The variation is.... Mum: I asked for frozen peas. Us: we got you frozen peas M: but I always have Tesco peas (because she orders from Tesco), Us: but you asked for frozen peas and we said we were going to Sainsburys and Sainsbury don't sell Tesco peas....

My Mum is 93 and in generally good health despite what she thinks. I wished I had videoed her doing her blood pressure test. The look of disappointment when the result was normal (as in very good for her age) even after doing it five times was priceless.

• Love
Reactions: Riot_co
The plugs we used for her are from WeMo which are Echo and Apple compatible but there are many more now that rae a lot cheaper, smaller and have more compatibility. We have a few here that are used where you cannot get to a socket easily or for something where a timer is useful. For lights we use Hue as they just work really well though some bulbs are a bit spendy but have lasted OK. Ones that you don't need a hub are more convenient.

The hip op is relatively low risk and routine but she has 'allegedly' underlying risks like heart that really bump up the risk. We advised against it but it was literally last minute before she backed down.
I've been looking into smart things (especially switches to be build in wall that have the ability to switch my existing lights. and i would like to code some things my self so i can for example make it turn on when it senses im in the room. and make some rules etc

OK, had a stupid sinus infection for a few weeks. Followed most of the advice that I can. Usual stuff, nasal sprays, paracetemol, snorting salt water but nothing has really helped. It isn't bad but you do feel a bit run down and yucky. One other piece of advice was making sure that you drink enough.

So, I made a conscious effort to drink a lot more water for a few days. Have to say that this actually helped the sinus infection significantly. However, the downside is water in, water out. Must have been up every hour during the night bursting to go. Going out shopping became a strategic planning exercise on where the loos are and the distance between them! Anyway, infection appears to have gone and I have been thoroughly detoxed with all the water! 😆

We finally succumbed to the plague despite being really careful (OK paranoid). Just didn't see the point of taking risks and getting ill if we could avoid it. Suspect it was at the museum the other week as that was the only place there was a significant amount of people.

The Mrs tested -ve despite having all the same symptoms I have had. I had 1 really bad day when I had chills, fever, aches and a few others. The Mrs is having a similar reaction as she had just after the vaccine. It isn't just the covid that is affecting her. She has been having various significant abdominal pains which she has been through a lot of tests for. Need to disable Google on her devices as she always thinks the worst no matter what All the tests and scans were negative but she still has the pains. Doctor has been good but they seem to think well it isn't any of those things so that is OK. Anyway, she may need to go back.

Worst part has been losing taste. I know I am drinking coffee but just doesn't taste like it. Also could do with a long sleep. At the moment it is sleep for an hour, awake for a couple, sleep for an hour and so on. Feel Ok in the morning but as the day goes on just get fatigued.

Hopefully we should show signs of improvement soon.

My Mum, after 10 days is still showing positive and has had no symptoms.

Just coming up to a month after getting IT. Finally got most of my taste (well food anyway) back. Can actually enjoy coffee and beer again. Lost most of my sense of smell when I was about 18 and sort of hoped that may return but nope, that is still the same. Feel a lot better but still have an annoying cough and cold-like symptoms. Still times when we go shopping and just feel f*cked afterwards (and not just because the prices they are charging). Still get nights of insomnia like last night. Feel tired and fall asleep but wake up 20 minutes later and clock watch for about 2 hours before sleeping for 20 minutes again.

Apart from that feel OK!

Users who are viewing this thread