Looking after yourself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Watch? Not worn one for about three years now. Probably useful if working. Feel some features of Apple watch like fall detection and heart rate stuff would be good for my mum - could give me notification of anything happening so I could order a new car/PC/etc :D
same here. had no watch over years but now i like it. very nice features and a decent price. also rechecked the results with other tools and they are quite accurate.
Amazon product ASIN B08FT1C58Q

Nice looking device.

I had a thing that tracked your walking and also did the time and heart rate that was about £20. Wife now uses my Pulse which also does an O2 reading and that is 7 year old.

To go back to the corona topic it's very hard at the moment where I live everybody is under tension because the governement is sleeping on the corona topic everybody makes their own rules.
Many people in my bubble are having a lot of grudge against each other and some are argueing.
Some few have escalated and on the other hand more stuff has gone right what was long time ignored, because of speaking all out what was not said before and it was not so bad after all.

What I wanted to say take it by heart but dont take it too serious at the same time. Its hard times here at least and its after all not worth to throw it all away.

Take care!

Hope you keep OK @Steffos666.

The Mrs was speaking to her hairdresser the other day… Since about Christmas until last week we have been in a stay at home situation (they seem reluctant to call it a lockdown). Non essential shops were closed etc. The hairdresser got covid. She thinks that she got it from her son, who got it from his girlfriend. Her husband then got it. Her parents then got it and her brother-in-law (a covidiot denier) got it and his family - these also ignored the self-isolate bit too. Some showed no symptoms but one of her parents ended up in hospital for a while on a ventilator. Given that it was stay at home and there was meant to be no in-person meetings between households it shows how easy it is to spread and could have resulted in more serious consequences.

When you look at places like New Zealand that are effectively back to normal now (and have been for a while) and other countries response like the UK it is worrying how poor some of the responses have been. A healthy paranoia is probably going to be needed for some time with regard to mask wearing and distancing. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Last edited:
I can understand that if people want the choice not to have the vaccine then they also have to accept that there will be consequences in terms of travel and other things. What I don't get is the denial of it, I think some of that is down to the Former Guy across the pond and that is political stupidity especially the anti-mask stuff. I thought that generally over this side there would a few deniers but not the volume that there is.

Also instead of aiming for zero covid, especially being an island and after taking control of the borders, they just went for "control" but with people still arriving on planes legally that was always going to fail. A few people trying to get across the channel in a boat and you have the navy, air force, and probably a submarine ready to take them out :)D). Mainland Europe was always going to have a harder time controlling things.

Im all vaccined up with the second jab last week. I had never experienced such a painless injection in my life, first and second, didnt feel a thing and no side effects of any kind (y)
The one place I hope gets all covid sorted is Turkey. 3 journeys cancelled so far and have another booked for september 🤞both me and the wife miss it.
Getting the rods out next week for a spot of fishing in Dorset, hope I can still remember how 😂

I'm getting my first vaccination next week on Tuesdays. That should make me a lot more relaxed than I currently am.

Reactions: glenwilson
Ordered a home test kit that we can get for free. Will be interesting and will hopefully put my Mrs worry to rest. These things should have been available last year.

Ordered a home test kit that we can get for free. Will be interesting and will hopefully put my Mrs worry to rest. These things should have been available last year.

Same as in Germany first they were not avaiable and later the governement did not care to give us some. My wife now has to get 2 a week at her job thats law here at the moment

So a negative test is really a positive and a positive test is a negative.

Just thought it would be worth having them as things open up a bit more. No point wasting them if we don't really go anywhere.

I have the kit
1 plastic test tube
2 plastic bags
3 test thinggy
4 fluid
5 test swabs
6 box with hole to hold test tube upright

Place test tube in hole, empty 1 fluid measure into it, use swab on throat and nostrils, insert swab into fluid, squeeze test tube with swab in it to pass stuff from swab to fluid, remove swab close test tube top, get a test thinggy
and squeeze fluid onto it (top of test tube has a hole for the droplets) leave for 30mins (no more no less) and thats it.
Each test thinggy has a QR code and you have to relay the test to the NHS (positive or not). The test result is similar to a pregnancy test thinggy. Place the used lot into a plastic bag and bin it.
You then get conformation of the test by msg/email.
Fairly straight forward, the hardest part is the gagging when the swab touches the throat 🤢

• Love
Reactions: glenwilson
I find the nose worse than the throat, as soon as I turn it my eyes start streaming.

I also like how they text and email you the result that you just gave them 🙃

Mine arrived this morning and I was just going to write out clearer instructions so that is useful. Need to find a window between coffee and beer to do it. Might wait till Thursday when I have more time. Sounds like it isn't a perfect test but if these had been around in quantity last year - automatically sent to everyone/household that would have helped.

My wife has a secret stash of those. She rations them, probably doesn't want me too happy! 😄 The Mrs is an avid reader who literally has a thousand+ books and usually has two or three on the go at anyone time. So yesterday she went to the library for the first time in over a year. Also a local charity bookshop had reopened. The house is now +20 books (6 from the library). Was probably more excited than if she won the lottry!

But then I got these yesterday in Aldi (who do a good selection of beers usually cheaper than elsewhere).

A9A89D8A F23D 4616 BC2F B2A15905592D

If you fancy a laugh then this might help. Four well known crime authors talking about some of their worst book events. You don't need to know who they are to find this funny. There are many online events recently and the Hay Festival is also soon. Not the same as going but they can be an interesting diversion.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: General_Misery
First test done. Up the nose was OK but the back of the throat was bad. The instructions above helped a lot as the leaflet ones are a longwinded. And yes texting back the result you just gave them seems just daft..

• Wow
Reactions: General_Misery
Got my vaccin - rather unexpectedly - yesterday.

I subscribed to a list for "leftovers", so if a scheduled person didn't show up at your centrum, you would be called. Thought by myself, why not. Didn't expect much of it, but i got a sms that there were leftovers. So I confirmed... And got a pfizer.

No side effects yet. Little bit of headache, but not sure if it's related at all. It think it's because of the "picon vin blanc". :)

Users who are viewing this thread