Looking after yourself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Since the beginning of the Covid outbreak we have been shielding my old mum 88, disinfecting everything including mail and shopping items before she touched them.
She then had a fall at home injuring her ribs and taken to hospital. After 5 hours in
A&E she was sent home with a diagnosis of bruised ribs.
2 days later she was back at the hospital with very low oxygen intake due to taking very short breaths because of the pain, so then they discover she has 3 broken ribs was kept in and put on oxygen.
In a space of 7 days while at the hospital she caught Covid, got a lung infection and sadly
passed away on monday. My brother had visited her in hospital and has now been tested positive and his girlfriend too. My sister who my mum lived with and her husband are waiting for test results but have no symptoms so far. I had an appointment to go and see her for yesterday (tues. 1 day too late).
My first reaction was of anger blaming the hospital which I still feel but not as strongly now.
It just goes to show that even after all the efforts you put in, it only needs one split second for your world to be turned upside down with this Covid shit.
I saw Covid as something in the news that didnt really concern me but its not as easy as that.
So all of you out there especially fellow dinos, take extra care as this shit doesnt take prisoners.
Stay Safe
Riz

• Sad
Reactions: General_Misery
Since the beginning of the Covid outbreak we have been shielding my old mum 88, disinfecting everything including mail and shopping items before she touched them.
She then had a fall at home injuring her ribs and taken to hospital. After 5 hours in
A&E she was sent home with a diagnosis of bruised ribs.
2 days later she was back at the hospital with very low oxygen intake due to taking very short breaths because of the pain, so then they discover she has 3 broken ribs was kept in and put on oxygen.
In a space of 7 days while at the hospital she caught Covid, got a lung infection and sadly
passed away on monday. My brother had visited her in hospital and has now been tested positive and his girlfriend too. My sister who my mum lived with and her husband are waiting for test results but have no symptoms so far. I had an appointment to go and see her for yesterday (tues. 1 day too late).
My first reaction was of anger blaming the hospital which I still feel but not as strongly now.
It just goes to show that even after all the efforts you put in, it only needs one split second for your world to be turned upside down with this Covid shit.
I saw Covid as something in the news that didnt really concern me but its not as easy as that.
So all of you out there especially fellow dinos, take extra care as this shit doesnt take prisoners.
Stay Safe
Riz

Fuck that blabla I mean we dont really know each other but my dearest condolences (if that is how you say that in british) and get well soon to the rest of your familiy.

Reactions: lakaelo and RIZLOID
My deepest condolences Riz, I wish you all the best. Nobody deserves such a turn, especially after being so careful for so long.

Reactions: RIZLOID
I am really sorry to hear that and my condolences to you. If you need to talk or just chat we are here.

Not seen my mum who is up in that sort of age since March and unlikely to see her for some time. She has extended bubbled with someone who has just passed with cancer but I always feared that she would be at risk because of her friend going to hospital for treatment. Hospitals are going to be a hotspot but I feel for anyone working there because of the lack of support they have been getting. Anger should be directed at our government for the way they have, and still are handling it.

We are definitely paranoid (in a positive way about it) and clean door bell, letterbox, quarantine mail for a few days before opening, clean bins after collection, and so on.

My deepest condolences Riz, wishing you and your family the best.

Me and my parents can't work from home, so I've been super careful around by grandparents. Still paranoid that something like this may happen 😔

My condolences to you Mr.Duarte, i hope your family will recover fast and get well soon.

Oh Riz, I am sincerely so sorry and saddened to read this. My condolences to you.

It is undoubtedly a very difficult time that we are currently living. We need to remember the good aspects of life to stay up.

I wish you the best for you and your family Riz. Take care.

Last edited:
With the prospect of vaccine on the horizon which should hopefully enable us to go back to some sort of normal we were thinking about what we miss most.

There are obvious things like being able to visit places, travel, visit my mum. To be honest our lifestyle is pretty simple already as we don't have any close relatives left and despite loads of cousins we have never kept in close contact with most of them mainly due to divisive grandparents and most of them just seem weird. For example, when my dad died (nearly 40 years ago), I got in touch with one of his sisters to let them know about the funeral and she was 'well that is inconvenient, that is my bingo day'!

The thing we miss most is not just going shopping without the paranoia of keeping distance from people and being careful. Avoiding touching things that you don't need to and all the stress that goes with it. It is silly things like seeing a busy aisle in a shop and avoiding it rather than have to work your way through the crowd. When this is over I can imagine that some things will remain like being careful and using antibacterials more often. But losing that constant fear of others will be nice.

And not having to wear a mask too! 😷

Reactions: dcyper
Will people shake hands again when meeting business partners for instance?

I think things like that will return but hopefully hygiene and the use of sanitisers will become standard which should help with flu and colds. Tourists from a lot of eastern countries already wore masks when visiting edinburgh for the various festivals so I can see that continuing especially if it means you can make people avoid you in shops! 🤣

First we all have to be vaccined and in Germany its only 2 million doses in the first wave for 82million people.

Lets see who is the first here to get the chip of mr microsoft^^

As much as I would like to have the vaccine sooner than later there are people who need it more than I do. People who are in contact with others (doctors, nurses etc. those in transport, shop staff and so on) should be near the top. At risk people next and so on. We follow the rules and are very careful about hygiene, social distancing etc 😇 and limit the amount of in-person shopping we do so there is less need for us to be high on the list.

Anyway, as soon as we get chipped it would need an update and would refuse to work! 😆

I can understand if someone has done research and genuinely doesn't want a vaccine (not saying they are right but that would be their choice) but most anti-vaxers probably don't read the labels of the food and drink that they are consuming.

Plus, CV-19 side affects seems to include disfunction in that department that their other blue pill product may not cure!

Users who are viewing this thread