Lemon Curd

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Been making some lemon curd to take down my mum at the weekend. All you need is:
  • 4 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice (3 lemons if they are large unless you like VERY sharp curd)
  • 200g/7oz Caster sugar
  • 100g/3½oz unsalted butter cut into cubes
  • 3 free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg yolk
Put the butter, sugar, lemon zest an juice in a dish and heat that over hot water. Whilst that is happening, lightly whisk the eggs. Once the butter has melted gradually add the whisked eggs to the mixture and whisk it together. Cook over the hot water until it is thick which should be about 10-14 minutes. Allow to cool and add to a sterilised jar.

IMG 2326 IMG 2327 IMG 2328
IMG 1147

I love citrus fruits! Will try that. Do you think its gonna work with lime too?

Yes it will - you may need a little more lime juice as they tend to be smaller. Not tried it with limes but have added them to my shopping list. Once made it lasts quite a while.

To sterilise an old jar and cap, wash in hot water. Just before use fill with boiling water and put the cap in a dish with boiling water. Leave for about 2-3 minutes the carefully drain the jar and lid (it will still be hot) and dry with a piece of kitchen roll.

Not tried this but you can also do it in a microwave: In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the caster sugar and eggs until smooth then stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter (can microwave it to soften it). Then cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.

Reactions: tousledmonkey31
Your mum will be overjoyed at the sight of you... and this jar of lovely lemon curd. :)

Thanks for the recipe, Glen.

Just tried the microwave method. This took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

The main things to note are:
  1. Cut the butter up into small chunks or nuke it to get it soft before adding the rest of the ingredients
  2. that you do start to see the egg scrambling in the mixture but carry on if you do.
  3. It took about 7 minutes to microwave. It did it for a minute a time but next time I would do 30 seconds a time stirring in between.
  4. Once it has got thick pass it through a strainer to get the lumps of egg out.
The microwave method does save some washing up but I will stick to the other way as I don't get the eggs cooking. Tastes pretty good though. If you can get some cheap lemons or limes, already have the sugar and eggs it is quite economical way of making curd especially when you see hand made curd for about £5.

IMG 2329

Users who are viewing this thread