Lawnmower advice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We currently have a petrol powered lawnmower that is running OK and does the job but the actual frame/chassis is rusting and starting to crack. If I could get a replacement chassis I would swap everything across but they are not available as a spare part and any on eBay have the same issue - rust.

So, what to get next. Both the front and back gardens have “flat“ 🤣 areas but also drops of about about 1.5m at about 45°. The petrol mower is about 30kg so is bit of a pain doing the slopes.

Would probably go for a wired electric mower as I don’t want to faff around with another battery and battery charger. Not against cordless but if I had loads of tools that could also use the same battery that would be fine. Not against a hover mower but have never been that impressed by them.

So, looking at reviews for mowers they seem to vary so much. You see the best 10 mowers to buy and then check the reviews and they are awful. Looked at big name mowers and the same thing, reviews are either ⭐️ Or ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️. Llama or goat are not really practical before you suggest them. 🙂

I think our main requirements are:
1. Wired electric
2. Collects trimmings
3. Not too heavy
4. Lightweight if possible
5. Easy to store

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for brands or machines that they may have or have used to help narrow it down.

i had to have the same the same decission last year. we had a good mower and it was working well for the last 10 years but than you could see the end. lot of rust but also parts falling off or breaking.

was also thinking about a wireless accu version but that is not pracitcal. most of them just working for small areas like 200-300m2 and you have to run to get it done in time till it needs a reload. so a accumower for our garden would be annoying expensive.
same as a robotmower. would like to have one but with all our flowers and garden edges it would be a mess to install this barrierlines everywhere. so also dead.
thinking about a lown mower tractor so i can sit on that and just driving around....dead because its also too expensive and to be honest, sadly the garden is too small for it.

so we are back to a "normal" petrol mower again but still with drive. so its easy to use.
i really can recommend the discounter offers. no clue how you have it in UK but here its easy on lidl online. very good prices and quality brands.

Can’t find anything in either Lidl or Aldi in stock at the moment as it is getting to end of the season. petrol mowers without drive start at about €200 here with self propelled being 250+.

Seen some electric ones for about £80 that seem reasonable. Guessing our “lawn” is about 180m2 in total so electric wouldn’t be too bad and a lot lighter for our old folks bodies to handle. 🙂

Can’t find anything in either Lidl or Aldi in stock at the moment as it is getting to end of the season. petrol mowers without drive start at about €200 here with self propelled being 250+.

Seen some electric ones for about £80 that seem reasonable. Guessing our “lawn” is about 180m2 in total so electric wouldn’t be too bad and a lot lighter for our old folks bodies to handle. 🙂
is there no online shop at lidl uk? btw can see any. its ways easier here in germany because every big discounter like rewe, lidl, norma and so on, having also a big stock of online products, even when they don´t have them in the local shops.

Nothing in online Lidl that I can find at the moment - mainly back to school and beer. Aldi have one but not available.

the answer to me is obvious :) get a real lama already, glen its about time :ROFLMAO:

I refer you back to the original post!! 🦙 🐐 🚫 😎

Admittedly getting a llama would be a virtuous circle. It would eat the grass, shit on it, which would make the grass grow. Dried llama guano can also be used as a fuel which would be useful too. llamas are pack animals so would be useful to go shopping with and should be allowed in the shops as it would be my emotional support animal. They can run at up to 35mph but would they get a speeding ticket? Would need to learn how to knit and use the llama 🦙 wool. They live for about 12 years after which llama 🍔 and roasts for quite a while.

You can get a llama for about €130 and vet bills are about the same as any other pet.

Thats weird, my son has that same mower but it takes a battery pack (cordless)

I dont know how good it is as Ive never used it, I know he bought it recently and I saw it in a covered area of his garden where I go and have a sneaky smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread