June holiday in France

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
A bit late I know but here are some pics from the holiday in France earlier in the year. The first five are of Cité de Carcassonne, one of the Cathar castles. The next three are Rennes-les-Baines which has become more well known because of books by Dan Brown and Kate Mosse. There are many theories about the place and the priest who became very prosperous for unexplained reasons. The final picture is from abbey Saint-Papoul.

Attachments

• France 2014 (56 of 306).jpg
    France 2014 (56 of 306).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
  • France (2 of 11).jpg
    France (2 of 11).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
  • France (3 of 11).jpg
    France (3 of 11).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 15
  • France (4 of 11).jpg
    France (4 of 11).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
  • France (6 of 11).jpg
    France (6 of 11).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 16
  • France (7 of 8).jpg
    France (7 of 8).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 20
  • France (7 of 11).jpg
    France (7 of 11).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 15
  • France (9 of 11).jpg
    France (9 of 11).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 14
  • France (11 of 11).jpg
    France (11 of 11).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
Lovely and impressive pictures indeed, Glen.
Thank you very much. :)

Cheers. Need to work at landscape photos as they always look like holiday snaps (which I know they are). Trouble is I like to enjoy the views rather than peering through the viewfinder on the camera. I'll need to look for a book for the holiday flight.

Re : June holiday in France

Great pics Glen !
Have you come there by plane or with your car !?
Carcassonne is more than a castle : a complete citadel !
Have you visited other Cathar castles ?

I've visited some when I was ~10yo, when I was fascinating by castles and military art, like all other little boys !
Religious art !? How to say !??... OMG : I can't say it !... Blasphemies !!! (I don't have any God ...)

Here in Bordeaux, castles are not military ! They are wineries !!!...
We have a citadel too (Blaye), a "modern" one, built by Vauban.
You have Montesquieu's castle too (La Brède), 15km from my home !... Waiting for you !...

Where were you in 1990, when I came to Perth with my school, eating fish' n' chips, visiting Bell's distillery and the Loch Ness !??

Re: Re : June holiday in France

Great pics Glen !
Have you come there by plane or with your car !?

We flew to Toulouse and hired a car. Stayed in an apartment that you could see the castle from. Loved the area as there was good restaurants and loads to see within a small distance. The only problem was that we were self-catering and as we arrived on Sunday nothing was open. But that was OK, we survived until Monday (when we found out it was a public holiday and everything was closed)! We did visit many of the local Cathar castles mainly because my wife is into all that shi, er stuff. Not really my thing (if it doesn't have an LED, battery, or screen I'm not interested :) ) but still found the area and history fascinating. Been to France a few times recently and have found it to be a great place to visit plus we do our annual stock up of beer and cheese in December via the Tunnel (£20 return).

Like most of our travels we like to do some of the touristy stuff but also venture away and see more of the culture and sample the food. Not saying you shouldn't see the main sites but there are usually fascinating things to see off the beaten track. We aren't really people for just laying on a sunbed and getting burnt. Next week we are off to the US and initially going to Washington DC to see all the usual sites/sights and driving down to Alabama for a week in a cabin Moose-Tracks Mainly there to just relax but there is also a museum in Huntsville Permanent Exhibit Galleries & Theaters | rocketcenter.com after which we are back to Washington. Before we fly back we will be going to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center | National Air and Space Museum which is by Dulles airport.

The main issue I have is knees that are totally f***** so I'm not able to climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every byway... but we still manage to do a fair bit! When we were at the Badlands National Park last year there was a guy in an electric wheelchair which he "controlled" with a joystick because he had very limited use of his limbs through illness. I say control because more than once he was on three wheels going round corners! His wife would lower the chair out of their van and he was off. He was fearless in that chair and would be exploring places you would not believe. It is people like that which spurs me on to make the effort to see things despite my knees being painful.

I was working in 1990 in Edinburgh as a code monkey. If you are up here again do the whisky tour in the highlands but make sure you are not driving! We have done that and as my wife doesn't drive (I'm the permanent designated driver) when we get to the tasting part of the tour I usually hear "I'll have that as you are driving"...

Last edited:
Re : Re: June holiday in France

its really a big citadel. just had a look at there page and i like it even more.

Cité Médiévale | Office de tourisme de Carcassonne

unfortunally it is away over 1000km/10 hours with car so i think this will be a nice spot if we plan to buy a motorhome in a few years.

Laka, you can rent one of them.
10 hours with a car : afraid !??....

I love road trips, especially with bikes and hate tourist trails, crowd, ... don't really care about museums, cultures and arts (past and dead things...), ... only natural sites (Nature better than Humans for beautiful things...)
So many sites to see in France or in Europe, I don't care America, Africa and Asia. Oceania ? Yes !!!...

The closest I could come to you glen, is the Isle of Man, ending May or early June !...

Lovely pictures my favourite is the sixth one, it has atmosphere looks almost monochrome/sepia but those windows boards that are red really make the picture..
You made some alterations in lightroom on that one looks very good, great picture
Looks deserted almost like a ghost town

Cheers Andy. The picture you like was actually out of the iPhone 5S without any Lightroom tweaks (had to check the exif data just to make sure) f2.2, 1/2160sec, ISO 40, Focal Length 4mm (equiv to 30mm) - was only resized in Lightroom! Sometimes you can be lucky and just get the right light at the right time.

We were also lucky that it appeared to be quite quiet when we were there and especially that village.

Lovely pictures my favourite is the sixth one, it has atmosphere looks almost monochrome/sepia but those windows boards that are red really make the picture..
You made some alterations in lightroom on that one looks very good, great picture
Looks deserted almost like a ghost town

thats my fav too. looks a bit like a painting. nearly unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread