jumpy ping

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
R

Rebirth

25 Jan 2013
I have totally no idea anymore what else I can do :c Bf3 starts to become more and more unplayable for me for the sole purpose of insane ping jumps.
my ping will be around 20-40 ms for the most time, and than suddenly rise to 900+ and drop back again. (also packet losses are not out of the ordinary either D: )

What i've done so far:
- opened all necessary ports for bf3
- resetted/restarted router
- plugged my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable
- looked past page 20 on google to find an answer for my problem
- asked my friends with the same provider who live near me if they had the same problems (no cigar)

any suggestions? :/

It annoys the living shit out of me to find my self crashing into the ground while I'm at 500m altitude, or all that chocking and running backwards during while i'm playing infantry.

Same also on other games? It might be the router is just old and bad and needs to be replaced.
I'd do the following:
Run speedtest.net and pingplotter in win environment
Try same on laptop
Check router controlpanel if broadband speed fluctuates
Try some tracert commands to see if it's local or dns server from isp

Possible problems:
Spyware/virus/trojan/rootkit
Registry error
Full hdd or pagefile?
Router gone bad
Isp dns issue.
Windows needs reinstall.
Mem acting up.

Call isp customer sevice too and find out if they can see something weird on their end to your ip.

First thing I would check is Antivir and Firewall, try to switch off both when youre on BF3 and see if there is still the ping problem, if not then you know what it was...

so here is my pingplotter data, which kindoff complies with the tracerts i've run on cmd... (Except this one gives a nice graph to show everyone :p)

As you can see, massive ping spikes

Also, I think the same problem would also occur on other games. but then again, I only actually play battlefield. (and runescape... but that doesnt actually need good ping)
My broadband speed doesnt flucuate too much as far as i've seen. It is pretty much constant at 60 down and 5 up.

I'm positive it is not caused by spyware/virus/trojan w/e
our other computer utterly fails at even recognizing ping (it has an old network card and I don't really look much into it as my parents mostly use it)
our other laptop actually as a fairly steady ping ( stead at 20-30 on wifi, with some minor jumps to 80 ping (i've run it for about 20 minutes, highest value was 96)
our router is one of those router/modem all in one thingy and its fairly new (about 1/1.5 years old?)

Also how could i get to know if it is a registry error or a dns issue?

behold, my great annoyance:

10qb0cx.png

phone up your ISP and ask them to do checks on your values for SNR/RX power levels for both upstream and downstream, assuming your ISP has fibre optics otherwise probably ignore what i just said :)

once i had to manually set my dns servers as the isp had several and one of them was very dodgy i manually set it to two working ones which helped, but you must know which ones to use and if it don't work set back to auto.

another time i had lag for 5 months. turned out isp had added NAT protocol to one of their dns servers without informing anyone about it and it caused major lag for any gamer having to go through that specific server. Called them and they fixed it.

once the isp had made another error which was totally their fault with failing to set ip to get logged in at a crucial network or somethign like that.

to fix registry errors CCleaner.. or registry easy. but i'd go with ccleaner. make backup of registry before fixing all errors and if any problems after the fix just doubleclick the backup file to get it set back.

the laptop is ok so it sounds like a local issue on the desktop ones. Have you tried renewing IP or reseting winsock?
start - cmd - ipconfig/release - ipconfig/renew
start - cmd - netsh winsock reset -> then renew ping with line above.

have you run spyware scans? do you have any toolbars or unwanted progs installed? try by all means also the pbsvc.exe but if the other comp that also has high ping it's not a pb or bf issue.
try www.trendmicro.com and try their free housecall scan.. it's pretty extensive and does find much some others don't. housecall launcher has to be dled to comp for scan.

has the isp got any service announcement on their site that could say there's some temporary service that affects the network?

once i had to manually set my dns servers as the isp had several and one of them was very dodgy i manually set it to two working ones which helped, but you must know which ones to use and if it don't work set back to auto.

another time i had lag for 5 months. turned out isp had added NAT protocol to one of their dns servers without informing anyone about it and it caused major lag for any gamer having to go through that specific server. Called them and they fixed it.

once the isp had made another error which was totally their fault with failing to set ip to get logged in at a crucial network or somethign like that.

to fix registry errors CCleaner.. or registry easy. but i'd go with ccleaner. make backup of registry before fixing all errors and if any problems after the fix just doubleclick the backup file to get it set back.

the laptop is ok so it sounds like a local issue on the desktop ones. Have you tried renewing IP or reseting winsock?
start - cmd - ipconfig/release - ipconfig/renew
start - cmd - netsh winsock reset -> then renew ping with line above.

have you run spyware scans? do you have any toolbars or unwanted progs installed? try by all means also the pbsvc.exe but if the other comp that also has high ping it's not a pb or bf issue.
try www.trendmicro.com and try their free housecall scan.. it's pretty extensive and does find much some others don't. housecall launcher has to be dled to comp for scan.

has the isp got any service announcement on their site that could say there's some temporary service that affects the network?

Well slap my ass and call me nancy, resetting the winsock and renewing IP actually did it i believe (i've been playing for 10 minutes now, and only peaks are caused by speedtest which is kinda obvious and even then only did it go to 150ms)

thank you a tousand times geno :)

-edit: it definitely fixed it. I managed to play without dropping randomly into the ground :D

Thanks to you I can make the nru servers unsafe for everyone again :D (also the bbuk servers btw... I only go there for tdm though... nru still needs a tdm server :p)
Thank you alot again geno :)

Last edited:
Cool you found the issue and got it fixed. Sometimes the network needs a refresh by doing that.

Enjoy your games.

Edit: oh and if you use ccleaner at least twice a month check the box that says "dns cache" rest at default.

Last edited:
Re-opening this issue again... I reset my ip and winsockets etc etc. and when I take my laptop to university and bring it back, the jumpy ping is there again.
Do I have to reset my ip and winsocket everytime or is there a way to keep this permanently?

thanks in advance :)

sorry cant help and geno is unfortunately not around anymore :(

Users who are viewing this thread