Home Office/Gaming Setup help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Akhara

Akhara

Send Noots
NRU Member
14 Feb 2021
Deutschland
Hello hello,

my gf is currently working from home a lot and she is usually sitting at the desk where I have my gaming setup. I have two monitors connected to my PC as well as a mouse and a keyboard and my headset. All of this is connected at the backside. She is using her company issued notebook and usually disconnects my mouse and keyboard from my PC and then connects them to her notebook (which I have absolutely no problem with). She uses an HDMI cable to connect one of my monitors (she doesn't have enough ports to connect the second one), however this doesn't involve unplugging it from my PC. Same goes for my headset, which she usually doesnt use. This of course means that whenever I want to use the PC, I have to disconnect the mouse and keyboard from her notebook and plug them back into my PC. Which involves a lot of crawling under my desk. Which is not pleasant.

Now since this will become the norm in the future for us, I started thinking about solutions which allow both of us to use the mouse, keyboard as well as both monitors without the hassle of always having to replug the equipment. At work, all of our notebooks are connected to docking stations via USB-C and all the peripherals (M&K. monitors, ethernet etc.) are connected to the backside of the docking station. Now this is pretty neat because I can plug in my notebook via USB-C, use it like a regular PC and unplug it to go somewhere else. I can also just go to a colleagues place, plug in my notebook und use it as if it were my place.

I would prefer not having to buy a second M&K just for this when I already have all the equipment, so I have been thinking about doing something similar at home. This would also have the upside for her that she could use both monitors as well as my headset, which is of quite a better quality than her company-issued one. However I have run into a few problems/questions:
  1. My PC doesn't have USB-C and I don't know whether docking stations exist that would allow the same functionality through USB-3 connection.
  2. Basically, my PC would be connected to the docking station permanently while my gf (or me when I am working from home, which is rare but happens sometime) would only plug in her notebook when she is working from home. Preferrably, this would now involve having to unplug the PC to do this.
  3. How would this setup (All my peripherals -> Docking Station -> PC) affect my gaming experience? Would this cause any sort of noticeable lag/delays or something similar?

Any advice would is welcomed, always crawling below my desk is getting seriously frustrating.

Or if you have a better idea how to fix this situation (besides breaking up or not allowing her to use my stuff ;)) please let me know :)

Edit: This is what I currently use at work: ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock | Lenovo UK
40AY0090EU-1000x1000.png
thinkPad-Universal-USB-C-Dock-1000x1000.png

Last edited:
I haven't had time to read all this yet but for

My PC doesn't have USB-C and I don't know whether docking stations exist that would allow the same functionality through USB-3 connection.
Yes certain dell docks have USBc and USB3. They seem to work with everything I've tried so far (non dell) so I assume there must be other companies that do the same

I know those docks way too wel from work, but the issue you have for yourself I do have for 1 person ;). So here my setup:

2 Monitors conected to my gaming rig via DP and HDMI to a docking station, but that could also be a inexpensive USB-C hub. Monitors will switch automaticly to the other input else the buttons will do fine.
Mouse, keyboard and Audio DAC connected to an USB 3.0 switch (4 in, 2 out), no issues found so far with increased delays.

Only reason I have a docking station is because I got it form my company. Else I would just buy a decent USB-C hub wth HDMI, USB etc. to connect to the laptop.

if you have question you know where I hide.

Wireless mouse and keyboard and use a different HDMI input to one of the monitors? That is what I do for my Mac Mini server now which is somewhere under the desk, switch input on the monitor and you are ready to go. Unplugging/plugging always has the risk of damaging a socket or plug.

My mum offered to buy us a cabin for the garden - one of those garden office things that I could use as a man cave but the Mrs vetoed it. I was thinking of implementing Article 50 over that decision. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Riot_co and lakaelo

Users who are viewing this thread