Holiday photo backup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Taking about 10 64Gb SD cards on holiday which should be more than enough for photos but video takes up loads of space. Planning on taking quite a lot of video and time-lapse sequences so that can fill memory cards pretty quickly. Yes, you can buy more cards but for the rest of the year you don't need that many SD cards.

Initially I thought I would take a laptop but the only one I have now is an old Dell device which is rather chunky and weighty (even without the power supply). I then thought of taking the Raspberry Pi with and external drive but then you need to take an HDMI lead, keyboard and mouse (or an all-in-one controller). Whilst that works it was more trouble than it was worth. Did test it and it worked fine but...

So after a bit of searching I found the WD My Passport Wireless. This device works just like an external drive but you can also connect to it wirelessly through an app on your phone, tablet or laptop. Useful for taking films and music with you and streaming to your device. I already have a Seagate drive that does all that.

But, this one also has an SD card slot. This enables you to back-up an SD card to the hard drive. It isn't the fastest copy process - took about 10 minutes to copy boy 40GB of video. I've set it up so it will automatically copy an SD card when inserted. The plan is to use SD cards and keep them but if I really need space then I can check that files have been copied and then delete them off the card. SD cards would have been cheaper but this is easier to keep safe than microSD cards.

Just a quick tip, the photo below was taken using foam board as a background. Useful as a background and you can also make a box out of them which also makes lighting easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
If i got that right 40 gB in 10 min means ~65 mB/s

thats pretty good for SD cards and ok in general ;)

edit: my sd cards for my nikon D7000 can only do 40mB/s

I've got a USB3 reader that is a lot faster at reading cards than this device but still happy that I can just bung a card in a know it will get backed-up. Car speeds seemed to be a bit vague. Class 10 SD cards are fine for HD video but for 4K you really need UHS class 3 (whatever that is). For my Pentax DSLRs the only thing card speeds affect is when in burst mode. On a slower card I can get about 8 shots before the buffer is full and it grinds to a halt. On one of the extreme cards I can fire off about 22 shots before it grinds to a halt.

Found some old cards the other day including a 256kb and 512kb :D

Even found a CF card too but don't even have a reader for that.

lol my sd cards are still sd hd class 3 ;) no 10 but doesnt matter my camera cant make photos faster anyways ;)

i would want to have a nikon d7100 but its not worth it for how often i use it... should rather get a new objective

Unless there is a feature that you really need and can use then a new lens is always a better option. I have two camera bodies just because I wanted a spare for work (otherwise you don't get paid if you can't take photos).

The 7000's specs look fine for most uses. Many pro photographers would have something like that as backup to D4 especially if they are paying for the camera equipment themselves.

Bit off topic but Lexar I think make the best SD HC and SD XC cards ive acquired 2 now both 32gb
If your taking photos only SD HC but if your into video then go SD XC, all XC cards are over 32gb in other words 64GB Plus usually with higher transfer speeds for video recording
So SD HC are 32GB and below

The My passport looks a really good choice for backing up photo's on holiday, Managed to by my daughter a laptop for college but made sure it had an I7 processor and 1TB hard drive with SD card reader so this may come in useful on holidays or photo trips :p

Last edited:
Unless there is a feature that you really need and can use then a new lens is always a better option. I have two camera bodies just because I wanted a spare for work (otherwise you don't get paid if you can't take photos).

The 7000's specs look fine for most uses. Many pro photographers would have something like that as backup to D4 especially if they are paying for the camera equipment themselves.

Off course for having a crop factor sensor the d7000 is very expensive and was a long time the camera getting the most out of that small sensor ;)

lately i havent been photographing a lot sadly most time loosing with playing cs go ;)

and @andy: i dont think its really off topic ;) since most of us are technique nerds we dont mind a bit extra info :)

Been backing up cards to the My Passport and it has worked fine. The app on iPad also isn't too bad, not great but not too rubbish either.

A slight aside is that my iPad is now curved! Don't know how that happened. Was OK in car and then noticed it was curved in the hotel room. :( Need a trip to the Apple Store to get it checked.

Users who are viewing this thread