GTX560Ti Upgrade

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Some tough luck there but great it got sorted in the end. Temps look great and i bet it's the best in the long run. Tried any other games with the new setup yet?

Finally finished the build including that moment where you press the on button and nothing happens. Then took about 90 minutes getting the cables tidy. Pleased so far and appears to have about a 20% increase in frame rate. Glitchy graphics driver replace and it seems to be pretty stable. It isn't silent but about 20db quieter than the old PC when at full tilt. When on the web it is pretty quiet.

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 26
How many case fans do you need?? Lol

That is very neat, good work fella & you can never have too many case fans, only problem is cleaning the dust out of them.

nice pic glen. cheers for sharing. That tower looks very space efficient. everything just about fits where it should.
case fans should take care of the airflow nicely like that. will be stable and great in the hot summer too.

helluva upgrade from shuttle :p

hell no. glen you must have some german forfathers. lol such tidily cable managment. :D mine is more like "oh press it in that corner there is space" lmao

Well actually there is a relative we think was from Germany at some point (also Scotland and Wales unfortunately). Have to admit that none my other PCs have ever looked like this!

tbh if you want it quiet try it with 2 intake fans at the front, 1 out-take fan at the back. I'm guessing the temps wopn;t change dramatically and you've saved some noise :D

- - - Updated - - -

I got the fractal R3 btw... bloody nice cases.

lets see i have a 200mm fan on top a 120mm red LED fan out back a 200mm rEd LED fan in front and 2 120mm Red Led fans on the side oh and that doesnt count my cpu fan lol

usually the casefans can be noisy. a good case and they're fine. but a bottom and top fan are good when the components reach high temps. if they are mobo controlled then the speed fo the fans will be set by the need of it and frankly the most noisy ones are usually 1. mobo southbridge fan 2. cpu fan 3. graphics card fan 4. psu fan. 5. case fan.

the extra airflow is imo a good thing to consider for warm days since the tower is a medium one not full tower. the parts fit nicely but with not much free space. as long as it's dustfree it'll do the job nicely.

A quick update...

Running the CPU at stock speed results in the temp being about an average of 52. Over clocking the CPU to 4.2ghz (from 3.4) and the temp averaged 53 with a max of 55. Altered the fan speeds on the H80i to max and then quiet and both settings got very similar results so at the moment I'm going to go with quiet. I would recommend the H80i.

With regard to the case, the temps also seem pretty stable with an average of about 37. That is about 17 above ambient. Case has two 120mm front fans, one 120mm input on the bottom and a 140mm exhaust fan on the roof (plus the two push/pull exhaust fans of the H80i).

Noise is significantly lower than the Shuttle though the GTX560Ti contributes to it once it starts getting busy.

BF3 in ultra settings is playable in some of the larger maps but does get choppy occasionally. TDM stutters too much. High settings work fine with about 60fps under most circumstances. Using the GeForce optimised settings is ok but I'll stick with high for now. Not noticed that blurring that I was getting (not the suppressive fire blur).

Was tempted to get a 670 as that would be a straight swap for my 560. 680 would mean removing one of the disk trays. However, after re-reading all your initial comments with regard to swapping the 560 I'll stick with that until BF4 comes out.

Thanks for all the comments though, if I went by the reviews I would have got a new card but from what you have said it may not be worth it at this time.

The nvidia high end cards have recently gone up in price. Very expensive. One question. Are you sure the fans at top and bottom blow up and front and rear onea blow backwards? That's the ultimate airflow direction. I'd compromise the sound to get a cool inside temp and better airflow. Cpu at least would be better in long run with max flow especially when it gets warmer in the summer.

Airflow and temps are pretty stable with CPU running at about 35 at idle and 50 playing BF3.

Somehow a GTX 670 got fitted.

Unigine benchmark went from: 763 & 30.3fps with the 560 to 1819 & 72fps with the 670. BF3 is generally in the 75-85fps (using FRAPS) in TDM and mid 90s for conquest maps using ultra settings was roughly 55/60fps before with high settings.

eBay sales of Shuttle motherboard, power supplies and i7 covered the case, new power supply and i5 so only real outlay was for the GTX 670.

Really pleased with new system, feels faster, is quieter, is cooler . Thanks again for comments and advice - all been useful.

Last edited:
Final part of the jigsaw in place - 2560x1080. Rather pleased! Crappy photo but couldn't be bothered editing it.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 20
Great for BF3 but it really doesn't like Lightroom 5! Can get about 80fps on ultra settings. It really is weird though when using some progs.

Users who are viewing this thread