Germany

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We have been to Germany many times before but mainly for long weekends and I had been a few times for work (visiting printer suppliers- when your spending £500,000+ on printers they like to treat you a bit :) ). So this time we wanted to stay for longer.

We have rented a house near Speyer for a week before moving on to Belgium. The house is rented out by a guy who owns a local winery. Nice place even if it has stairs that are proving a challenge for my knee. We like doing rentals for part of the holiday as it means you don't have to muck around with hotels, restaurants etc and have a bit more freedom - don't have to have breakfast by a certain time. Price wise it can be about the same as a hotel.

The town we are in looks as though some of the buildings are quite old and the place we are in looks like it has been converted from old farm buildings. It is nice to see small shops like bakeries that we have lost at home. The area seems to be quite agricultural.

We have so far been to Speyer cathedral and the baroque palace at Mannheim. Driving has been OK as I have tried to learn as many signs as possible. Parking has been more interesting as you are trying to read signs, know where you are going and not get in everybody's way.

Did spot the advert below. I could translate it but it is more fun thinking:
  1. He has terrible fart problem
  2. The doctor is trying to burn off his nads with the sun using a magnifying glass
:)

IMG 3430

Reactions: General_Misery
Had a look at the Technik museums at Speyer and the other one and it looks interesting. Had thought about it and the tour of Hockenheim but wanted this to be more for Isobel. So Bruschal and Ludwigsberg next couple of days.

Brückenhäuser Definitely looks worth a look - good suggestion, thanks.

Germany is one of those countries that we enjoy visiting without quite knowing exactly why.

Opinion changing slightly.

1. Normally wherever we go Iz acts as an insect magnet and I avoid getting bitten! Not here though, local insects seem to enjoy the taste of llama flesh as much as they like hers!
  2. Pigeons: why are they so noisy here? Never hear them at home but here they perch on the roof doing the pigeon ho hooo ho hoooo thing!
:)

Normally wherever we go Iz acts as an insect magnet and I avoid getting bitten! Not here though, local insects seem to enjoy the taste of llama flesh as much as they like hers!
lol its germany, we have a emanzipated democracy lol

Pigeons: why are they so noisy here? Never hear them at home but here they perch on the roof doing the pigeon ho hooo ho hoooo thing!
i don´t know i you have "german brieftauben" in scotland?? thats the town pigeons which making such noise because they are mating the hole year. the normal country pigeons are same quite as yours i think.

I think it's just Glen they make that annoying noise loudly down in the south :p

Reactions: Mr.X
Honestly, at home we have pigeons but you rarely hear them make any sound at all. Even when they are randy and wandering around the lawn they never make any noise.
--- Post updated ---
I guess speed "limits" are actually targets in Germany. Even when there are no limits you see sad little VW 1litre Polos trying to achieve warp speed.

Honestly, at home we have pigeons but you rarely hear them make any sound at all. Even when they are randy and wandering around the lawn they never make any noise.
--- Post updated ---
I guess speed "limits" are actually targets in Germany. Even when there are no limits you see sad little VW 1litre Polos trying to achieve warp speed.
same here at my country site but this town pigeons are loud sex maschines

--- Post updated ---

I was in Germany 20ish years ago and we rented a MBW 323is i think it was, cruising down the autobahn. Think we where doing about 160 and we got passed by a old school VW Bettle like we where standing still. Worst part of it was, it was pink with flowers on lol :D

I was in Germany 20ish years ago and we rented a MBW 323is i think it was, cruising down the autobahn. Think we where doing about 160 and we got passed by a old school VW Bettle like we where standing still. Worst part of it was, it was pink with flowers on lol :D

Didn't mistake a 911 for a beatle? Could have been John, Paul, George or Ringo on speed! :ROFLMAO:

Glen, I can recommend Ludwigsburg Palace – it’s an architectural jewel.
Just explore the Baroque Gallery, the Fashion Museum and the Royal Apartments – they’re really worth it. :)

Glen, I can recommend Ludwigsburg Palace – it’s an architectural jewel.
Just explore the Baroque Gallery, the Fashion Museum and the Royal Apartments – they’re really worth it. :)

Lol!!! Guess where we are going today! :)

When looking for places to visit near where we are based I normally use TripAdvisor as a starting point but the likes of Ludwigsburg and Bruchsal didn't appear or were not obvious. Not seen any other UK cars or from any other countries either yet this is a lovely area and well worth a visit.

Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER
IMG 3462 Made it there, eventually! Now had the joyful experience of sitting in traffic because of roadworks and who knows what. So got there too late to do a tour but did have a walk (or limp in my case) around the gardens. Then drove back a different way and had less roadworks but enjoyed a German rush hour!

Best bit of today was when we went to get bread and an elderly German gent realised we were Brits and was happy to see us in their village. Well I think that was what he was saying as despite saying we couldn't speak German. Lots of hand shaking went on. I didn't mention the war once! (((That last bit is a joke)))

I do hope that you both enjoyed your stay there. :)

I didn't mention the war once! (((That last bit is a joke)))

That was very kind of you. :happy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread