German Stereotypes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
With my newly discovered German ancestry it amuses me how countries are stereotyped. In many films and TV series if you need a baddie it is either someone English (in US productions) or a tattooed, mullet haired, German biker gang member for European productions.

Now the holiday companies are getting in on the act too. I now know why Herr lakaelo is always using a jet and parachute to get to flags - obviously practicing for this.... :unsure:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some holiday adverts that we get. Wonder if you can get the swim trunks as a thong or mankini?

All us "roast beefs" think our German friends have toothbrush moustaches and walk funny. The French all have striped shirts and ride cycles with onions on them. The Scots all have red hair, wear kilts and are drunk. Probably in the same way we (English) all dance with handkerchiefs and sticks with bells on and look like complete dicks.

The only stereotype about swedes I had was that you all drove sideways and were brilliant rally drivers like
Stig Blomqvist.

Well in bavarian tv you see something like the english dance ;) but they never invented sticks ^^

Pervs in tight leather! True, no sticks but lots of hand on leather covered thigh slapping. :unsure:

Before digital satellite TV we used get that over here and used to actually enjoy watching for the, er, music and nothing to do with dirndls at all! In all the times we have been to Germany never seen anyone wearing dirndl or lederhosen, absolutely ruins the experience.

Glen, if you visit a large city in Bavaria, you won’t see many dirndls and lederhosen at all, I'm afraid.
The chances to see these Bavarian folk costumes are much higher when taking a trip to the smaller villages in the Bavarian countryside, even more so on a Sunday or in times of a so-called ‘Volksfest’. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksfest
It is rather striking that within the last few years the popularity of traditional folk costumes has increased, evolving from purely regional (and often only rural) clothing into a mass phenomenon, a fact which scientists put down to a desire for more community spirit and cultural identity in an increasingly globalised world.

I once wore a dirndl... when I was about five years old. :)

Reactions: glenwilson
Up here in Scotland you tend to see kilts in Edinburgh mainly on pipers or in tourist spots. The kilt also tends to be wedding attire for many.

Being English I cannot really think of what the national costume would be. Obviously there is the suited and bowler hatted character and the other extreme of the string vested, hanky on the head man. There was a Miss World entrant (who had wear national dress) that wore a beefeater variant. That uniform dates back to Tudor times and is used by the "Yeomen Warders of Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress the Tower of London, and Members of the Sovereign's Body Guard of the Yeoman Guard Extraordinary, popularly known as the Beefeaters, are ceremonial guardians of the Tower of London. In principle they are responsible for looking after any prisoners in the Tower and safeguarding the British Crown Jewels."

Within England there are probably regional costumes but even then I struggled to find much. I think that is the trouble with England in that there isn't a national identity in the same way Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. If it was by popularity I think the shell suit would be in with a chance!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER

Users who are viewing this thread