geek zone help required

Discussion in 'Game, Computer Support and Tech Chat' started by chip247, 18 December 2012.

1. chip247

NRU Member

I have my new system running with my o/s on the ssd but my new 500gb h/d that i have installed shows up in system properties as 100mb only!! any suggestions as to why & how i fix?

thanks

2. samoz83

NRU Heed

I don't have a lot of time to expand this atm but try using

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* [​IMG] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

Google how to add a new hard drive using Disk Management you should be able to expand or reformat the drive to the correct size there. If you can't find it say and I'll put you on the list of people to help out lol or maybe someone else can help in the mean time.

3. lakaelo

NRU Heed

lol looks like you have a wrong partition on your hd´s. normaly this 100mb partitions on hd is used for systemrelevant stuff and normaly on the system hd ( C: ) looks like you got it to put your system on C and the systempartition on your 500GB hD? no clue how you got such a mess in your partiotion manager. lol

undock the 500G and try if your system is working without them. if all runs fine you can format this one and it should sign as a 500GB again.

4. chip247

NRU Member

yeah been into disk management cant reformat or extend.. it shows the drive as 100mb fat32, would it be because i left this drive connected when i installed o/s onto ssd??
    is my easiest solution as laka suggests take the drive out format it on old pc then re-install?

no i see o/s needs the 100mb partition to boot, would i be better to just start over, before i get too far down the software install road

#4 chip247, 18 December 2012
    Last edited: 18 December 2012
  5. samoz83

NRU Heed

Strange you should be able to delete it and then remove it physically and add it in again, then find it in disk management.

6. chip247

NRU Member

ok by creating a new simple volume it now shows up the rest of the hdd as a different drive, dont know if that matters?? i can at least access the rest of the storage.

next question my ram is Corsair 1866mhz 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 Vengeance Memory, when i look at bios my ram shows optimum 1333 mhz, in speccy it states 8gb ddr3 @671mhz (9-9-9-24) is that right?

7. chip247

NRU Member

ok sam just been reading a thread on another site, would this be the way forward?

How to: Move system Reserve partition from secondary drive to the C: drive: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to hide)

1.Download EasyBCD. It is free for non-commercial use, just click the "Download free for limited, non-commercial use" link.
    2.After downloading, start EasyBCD. Select the Tool from the "toolbox" for "BCD Deployment."
    3.Make sure that your SSD is selected in the upper box (the partition on the SSD).
    4.Click the Radio button for "Install the Vista/Win7 bootloader to the MBR"
    5.Click "Write MBR". (This will make a copy of your current BCD onto your SSD.)
    6.Before exiting, click the "View settings" tool, and make sure the Entry shows drive C:\ as the default windows 7 entry. If it does, you're done.
    7.Shut windows down, reboot, and then in disk management youcan delete the 100mb partition from your HDD, and then extend the other partition on the drive to use the space.

8. samoz83

NRU Heed

I've never done it before as it normally creates on the same drive as Windows but it should technically work lol

And yes the RAM is correct it is double data rate so you multiple that by 2.

9. AndyS40

NRU Member

Samoz is right it's double data rate 671 x 2 = 1333 roughly. In your bios you should have ram settings or speed settings for Ram 1333 - 1600 - 1886 - 2133 and so on. You must find out what your cpu supports + Motherboard, so if your cpu supports 1600 do not set it any higher. But please please please be careful if you set it wrong you will lock or freeze you Mobo and if you dont know what your doing you will have major problems...

10. lakaelo

NRU Heed

and back to your HD. had you installed anything else on your ssd? if not do it again without the other one in your pc. so all systemrelevant parts going on your ssd even your little 100mb partition. after that you can plugin the 500er again and format it back to normal size.

this 100mb on the "normal" hd can reduce your speed advantage you got from the ssd because this always need to check over to your 500er.

i would do a new clear install to get a new nice running system.

sure you can try to "swap" this partition to your system drive i dont know if this can work. lol a free and decent programm you can find here.

http://www.disk-partition.com/product.html

11. chip247

NRU Member

yeah thnx laka think i'm gonna re-install over holidays when i've got more time, as for the ram mobo supports dual channel 1866 & the sticks i got are on the qvl list. just puzzled why it said 1333 in bios?

12. lakaelo

NRU Heed

look at bios if you have select fixed ram or auto identivication. think it fixed and thats why it says 1333.

13. ninjafoetus

ninjafoetus New Member

I found out originally the clock speed of your CPU can limit your RAM if the RAM setting is on auto detect. If you just force the RAM up to the required 1866mhz in the bios it should increase your CPU clock speed to match the increase.

14. _MiNi_

_MiNi_ DOCH !
    Friend of the NRU

good to hear you are sorted now

15. chip247

NRU Member

ok nerds, we're making progress ram sorted, ssd sorted just got to start loading software.... so see you in the spring!

16. _MiNi_

_MiNi_ DOCH !
    Friend of the NRU

Till the spring

17. samoz83

NRU Heed

What's this inflate your post count day? :p

18. _MiNi_

_MiNi_ DOCH !
    Friend of the NRU

Sam, Sam, Sam...Would I ever ?

19. General_Misery

NRU Member

Good luck chip, I have had my share of PC probs too as you know - a royal pain...

20. chip247

NRU Member

its all good pix new rig is up & running, bf3 installed last night & test run succesfully so just need to remember what programmes i use!!! lol, still got a few tweaks then cable management & were done!

I just cannot believe how quiet this thing is tho, need to give it a serious run out to raise the db.

what software would you all recommend? the one piece of software that you couldnt do without? obviously dont want silly studio/film editing & mixing bollox & the like but general stuff for everyday use

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice