Fiio E10k

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Raven

Raven

NRU Member
3 Apr 2019
Hi guys but I think this is aimed at Glen (as I think you have the E10k)

I have been using an Asus Xonar DX to power my Hyper X Revolvers and they have been fine.

I have just got hold of a Fiio E10K DAC as I thought this might prove to be a better option.

The volume and bass on it sound terrific but there is a lot of hiss on it when there is no sound, ie working on the internet.

This is really bugging and I don't know if this is normal or whether it could be a fault as there is no background hiss on my Xonar at all.

I'm not sure if there is something I could try to get rid of it before I return it?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Voice 001.mp3
    136.9 KB
if it's high frequency hiss like white noise, you could have something screwing up with the signal, try to move your dac a bit further from the computer and see if it helps. Tighten connections and see.

I have tried moving it to different USB ports and also away from the PC to different places but nothing seems to alter it.
Altering the volume does not affect the volume of the background noise which is strange.

It sounds like interference but the idea behind the DAC is to have less interference than an internal card.

I have attached a recording of the background noise but I'm not sure if it does it justice

Hmmm that's all ideas I have, hopefully someone will chime in with an idea... or you could try warranty?

Fortunately I have just bought it so I still have some time to send it back.

I dont know whether to bother with a replacement or just go back to my old soundcard

Hmmm googled quickly, you're not quite the only one with the same problem - some people suggest using ferrite core cables... that's all i found...you should google though. perhaps someone has a solution.

Dont know about the exaxt product but this happens probably when Condensators are faulty or the Engineer picked the wrong one.

Would recommend to send it back but maybe wait for Glen he knows the tricks ;) Probably you have to paint it in army green first.

Don't look for the source of the his in the digital part of the system the usb cable is digital so it won't cause interference. A his mostly develops if 2 analog audio devices don't have a common ground.

Also if the hum sound like a 50-60hz sound maybe it's the interference from your power lines.

I will check mine as soon as I can. At this momemnt I cannot say I have noticed anything but I usually have something playing, either a game, music or YT. Trawled through a lot of reviews and couldn't find anyone mentioning that issue but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Is it there when no apps/programs are running or if volume is set to zero? Just wondering if Windows itself is the cause for when it plays sounds for new email or something like that. When I use it I tend to have the individual Windows app/prog volumes highish and the FIIO volume lowish.

I will have a play with it and report back in a few hours.

Might be worth trying different USB ports, mine is on a USB hub from a USB 3 port but I will try from a USB 2 port.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

just for reference

USB should not be able to make a hiss in your DAC unless there is something wrong with your DAC, which i doubt because its not a cheap DAC. so its probably like glen said either e program making a hiss? because windows sould be compleetly silent. my headphone/preamp has no hiss if i use the inbuild DAC but does when i use my pc's

On my PC I only get a slight hiss when the volume is set to near 100%. For most listening the volume is at about 20%.

Agree with Cap that the USB port shouldn't matter unless there was a fault with the port or a component that was introducing some noise. Have you tried it in another device/laptop/phone? That may help to see if it is the device that is faulty.

Don't wanna be a pain in the ass but yes USB can cause interference to an analog signal when the design isn't properly. Knowing Fiio a bit, don't expect that, so either it is a fault in the device itself or in the host....

Hi guys,

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

I have tried loads of different things including different usb ports, different cables and even different computers with different OS. The noise is always there (although the volume does differ slightly).
The strange thing about is that altering the volume does not affect the volume of the hiss. It is there at the same volume no matter what, which leads me to think it may be a possible fault.
Nothing seems to remove it to a degree that I am comfortable with (especially as my Asus Xonar has no hiss whatsoever).

Rather than persist with it and spend time and effort on it I have decided to return it and stick with what I have for the time at least.

Thanks everyone

Ray

If you tried various stuff and it is still there, then a faulty unit does seem to be the problem. Tried mine on a different PC (used as a server) and that was fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread