dog cam

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Colour can be a real problem so I use a Xrite Color Checker Passport when I'm doing car photos especially for red cars. Most cameras seem to hate large red areas and change the balance to something orange instead. You can use the Passport to take a couple of photos - one the colour grid and another a grey scale and then use them to get they correct colour balance. In Lightroom you can create a custom profile for where you were and then use that for all the photos in the batch. You can also use it to check your printer too. I would also recommend that if you are doing a lot of image editing that you profile your monitor too. It is surprising the difference it makes and many of the calibration devices read ambient light and adjust for that too.

Whilst that may be a bit of an expensive way of doing it as it cost a few € it is worth the effort and can save a lot of time if y u are processing a lot of photos. However, it should also work for video too. For colour balance anything a neutral (preferably grey) colour can be used to set the White (my iPad is racist as it keeps capitalising White) balance and I suspect premier should allow you to do that or have it auto white balance on import of the files. I've not used Pemiere for years so not sure how you select that. Even a simple piece of grey card at the beginning of a shot or a different area would help with the balance. My wife just thinks I'm stupid when I ask her to hold the Color checker but for inside photos or video it does make a big difference. We have a mixture of fluorescent and LEDs at the moment so if I get some time I will do some test shots and video.

For holiday video where I've used a selection of cameras and if you are videoing in doors under artificial light I get the same number of white balances! Fluorescent and LED lights are miles apart in terms of colour balance and you do need to tweek them.

I'm actually pretty impressed by the video for such an inexpensive camera. For the price you honestly wouldn't expect too much but where the light is quite good the images were good too. The GoPro struggles with decent images when you have high contrast areas and with the sun relatively low at this time of year you can get that a lot. I've still been a coward and have yet to submerge the GoPro!

Was going to ask what loudspeakers you had but then realised it was the cat toy/post!

The more I see the dog cam view the more I like the perspective it gives. Look forward to seeing some more hiking videos and the countryside views.

Also love it when you finished a post and it says submit "quick" reply and realise you have taken up half a screen with a response!

Last edited:
of course you can setup the color and brightness and so on with premiere too. but i normaly don´t like it. same as pics. i try to not use any software to change it. even more in making videos i like it simple.
today i tried the sony and i have to say its nearly the same color / colortemp as realy view also i think its a lot sharper. unfortunally today it was cloudy and yesterday sunny lol so you can not compare both video 1by1 but i guess you can see a big difference between them.
but most difference for me is the antishake sony have. its a big big difference in using it as a dog cam. without this antishake its often not viewable because it is shaking over the hole view/screen if the dog is running. with antishake its still a nice view and useable video. so i think i will sent back the SJ4000. its still a very nice cam even more for that money but for my use not really the right thing.

was looking around what loudspeaker you mean. lool yes it the cat tower with holes in.

Sony Cam:

[video=youtube;b2KXn851NC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2KXn851NC8[/video]

SJ4000 Cam :

[video=youtube;zlMW_4mcrVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMW_4mcrVI[/video]

Colour temp at different times of day and year will also affect the empfindung and appearance of the light. Landscape photogs are usually out at the golden hour before sunset when the light is at it's warmest. First thing in the morning the light is much cooler and bluer.

Definitely smoother with the Sony despite the movement of the dog.

Nice video. Still not got my GoPros wet (other than our rain of course). The picture in picture is nice too. Not tried that so will need to have a go.

Users who are viewing this thread