Dashcams

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Been using a GoPro as a dash cam for quite a while now. Whilst the video quality is very good it isn't automatic - you have to manually power-up the camera and start it and it often runs out of battery despite being hard-wired. The looping function does work but isn't great.

Spotted a cam on offer and went with that. Has HD front facing and an SD rear facing camera. GPS was a £10 add on. Recently been finding that there are more drivers who are just plain stupid/careless/idiotic/etc and just wanted to have some evidence should something happen. One recent incident was just down the road where some twat nearly hit me head-on then stopped, gave me the finger, and then said "I don't stop fur nay f***ing c***s'. Definite Darwin Award candidate! Probably plays CoD too! :)

Had a quick look on YouTube for some fitting instructions and got distracted by the usual dashcam compilations. Here are some observations...

1. Russians - funny how often the same words are spoken when an incident happens - I'm guessing in means the same elsewhere too.
  2. Russians - you have a prang or road rage incident. Someone gets out of the car with an automatic pistol, fires a few rounds and leaves. The driver with the dash cam just laughs and drives off!!
  3. Russians - snow and ice? Makes no difference to car physics and then seem shocked when the car goes straight on instead of around the corner!! Or the car is suddenly fishtailing along the road. Us in the UK may have a bit of an excuse as we don't get huge amounts of snow dumped on us that often but if it is something you get each year surely you would get practiced at driving slower on it?
  4. Russians - Car breaking/slowing just means that you still overtake and then wonder why there is a head-on/tram there/motor bike/etc
  5. US - red lights seem to be something other people stop at
  6. US - road rage seems to escalate really quickly for a minor indiscretion
  7. US - muscle cars seem to go sideways quite easily when going around any sort of corner
  8. UK - Makes all the above look hardcore. Someone not indicating is a major offence
  9. UK - quite a lot of stupidity but there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of actual accidents
  10. UK - 'Shitting Peugeot' seems to be used quite a lot after someone does something!!
My insurance company gives a discount if you have a dashcam fitted which should cover the cost over two years. They also offer a black box too. My driving isn't perfect but I do try to be (must be getting to THAT age) but I wonder how accurate the box is and if insurance costs could go up if it thinks you are being stupid even if you are not.

:)

Russians - funny how often the same words are spoken when an incident happens - I'm guessing in means the same elsewhere too.

....BLYAT.... ;)

i think i had show dozents of this russian dashcam videos but i have still to shake my head about see them driving.
also worth to look is china,japan, asian drivers. sometimes worst than the russian ones lol

Reactions: glenwilson
Here is an example from last week...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

....BLYAT.... ;)

i think i had show dozents of this russian dashcam videos but i have still to shake my head about see them driving.
also worth to look is china,japan, asian drivers. sometimes worst than the russian ones lol

I've driven in most western European countries and would say Malta and Belgium were the most interesting. My wife usually describes less than perfect drivers as 'Belgian" (sorry) as we had a few instances of less than, er, perfect driving. :) In the USA it seems to be a casual activity where there not enough attention is paid to actually driving. Even in Africa (Kenya and Mauritius) it was fine. I don't really get scared driving - as long as you worry about doing things properly first you can then be aware of what others are doing. However, I don't think I would drive in Russia - seems to be too many big accidents. Is it true you get a driving licence on the bottom of a vodka bottle? :) Only joking!

In the UK the one thing I really don't understand are the MLCs (Middle Lane C****). They join the motorway and go straight to the middle lane. Nothing can get them out of there. They won't overtake. They will do a constant 60mph but if a car in front is doing 50mph they slow down and won't overtake. They probably cause more frustration than anything else on the road apart from the traffic cone wombles. When you overtake them though they speed up. Oh for some C4 or an RPG!! What is surprising is how inclusive MLCs are. They are all ages, all races, all religions, all genders, not group is excluded! They also drive anything too (except BMW and Audi as they are usually in the outside lane tailgating someone).

I often wonder how they get off the motorway if they are so scared of moving out of that lane. There must be a whole tribe of them circling London on the M25 only being 'rescued' when the need for fuel causes an intervention. They get really confused as to which lane to get in on a four lane road.

Even when you do circuits around them they don't get it!!!

This one made me cry. I imagine the pain of having a smelly cat in the car!

Reactions: General_Misery
Mother Russia -> CYKA BLYAT & KURWA they are aka the worst drivers in the world, especially those with the old lada riva...but those with newer cars, they are like fuck the spare tire I'll carry a gun

Reactions: glenwilson
Mother Russia -> CYKA BLYAT & KURWA they are aka the worst drivers in the world, especially those with the old lada riva...but those with newer cars, they are like fuck the spare tire I'll carry a gun

Surely there cannot be many of those Lada Rivas left given how many seem to die in dashcam video compilations? :)

There is only 1 left on the road in the UK and 8 others are 'off the road' and probably being used as spares for the other 1. :eek: Looks like the last time a Riva died was in 2003 - so hopefully the last one cannot reproduce now! :)

IMG 0169

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
Also in modern countries like Germany there isn't soo many Golf 2 / Golf 1, but here in Bosnia there's more Golfs mk2 than any other cars lol There one in my neighbourhood, he drives 10-20km/h under the limit, that guy is purely pain in the ass, speed limit 50, he goes 30, bloody hell I would like to kick his ass in his Skoda Fabia hahaa.... idk but I think people like him cause more accidents than those who drive fast :/

There are only 87 RS2000s in the UK. That is something I always wanted and now they are going for £25k. I would love an RS1800 too but I need about £300k+ for one of them.

I wish I still had my Mk2 Golf! :(

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
You can buy golf 2 here for around £700 in a nice condition without rust and which was serviced :D Anything cheaper isn't really without shortcomings, the floor is mostly bad, but ofc everything can be fixed heh :D I would really like to build one day a nice Golf 2, put a big engine in it and use it for shows and stuff, I wish I had 1mil € to make all my dreams come true hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread