Dashcams

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
I have started to use a dashcam as I have had a few close calls from stupid drivers. The first one I had was £12 and the quality was what I would expect for that cost. For example, a gentleman in a 4x4 decided to overtake a parked car nearly resulting in a head-on crash with me. He then got out and had a go at me saying he saw me coming along and I should have stopped (despite having right of way etc.) His reaction was interesting when I said that what he did was on video and his current rant was also being recorded and that it would show he just pulled out in front of me and was abusive. The video quality wasn't great but it did show the event.

I've now got a Blacksys CW-100 which is easier to operate, more compact and also gives map of location and speed. The video is better than the cheap one but still a little disappointing. I was considering upgrading to the Blacksys CF-100 that has 1080 front and 720 rear cameras and video I have seen from it looks pretty good.

Just wondering if anybody else uses one and if you feel or have experience of video quality as a record of an event?

Hm in Germany it got forbidden and it seems that it will stay forbidden to install a dash cam

id like to have one sometimes too!

Too many stupid drivers that risk too much and in the end you are injured and you even have to pay everything cause you have no proof that the other did the harm to you and not the other way round...

Is that to do with privacy laws? Good to know as we do drive there sometimes and that isn't an obvious law. Is it the case you only get three chances to pass your driving test? Over here you see people who try the test 20 times before passing. That to me indicates that you are not really driving material.

For me it is for some protection against idiot drivers. See so many red light jumpers and those that seem to be just stupid. It used to be just young males that were the problem but now all ages and either sex seem to be capable of doing the most stupid of things. They don't seem to realise their responsibility to other drivers/road users or themselves and how potentially dangerous driving is.

How about a gopro second hand etc.

By us seems to be a large number of young female drivers with there heads always pointing down towards there mobile phones typing away not looking up :mad:
They look like prairie dogs sticking there heads up every now and then

Last edited:
Is that to do with privacy laws? Yes just decided last week or so its brand new decision
Good to know as we do drive there sometimes and that isn't an obvious law.

Is it the case you only get three chances to pass your driving test? Over here you see people who try the test 20 times before passing. That to me indicates that you are not really driving material.

As i know you can have as much tries as you need and normally driving test is pretty strict at least mine was ;)
For me it is for some protection against idiot drivers. See so many red light jumpers and those that seem to be just stupid. It used to be just young males that were the problem but now all ages and either sex seem to be capable of doing the most stupid of things. They don't seem to realise their responsibility to other drivers/road users or themselves and how potentially dangerous driving is.
Ture that!

when i was driving for a living i would sometimes use my phone if i knew there'd be a good chance of meeting numerous idiots. if memory serves you have an iphone? maybe it'll be of no use to you but i'm on android and this app works well and is able to record time/gps/your speed etc and embed it onto the video if needed (that's where they make their money) of course this also requires a phone holder that has a gap where the camera is on your phone. might be a cheap alternative if you don't do many miles.

Tried a few different cameras from action cams to a Sony Handycam but whilst the video quality is better they are harder to mount in an inconspicuous way so they won't get knicked. And you have to remember to format the card and so on whereas a purpose built dashcam switches on when you start the car and also the video rolls over when it gets full. On the one I have you can press a button to save the previous 10 seconds and next 10 seconds to an area that won't get over written and the G sensors also record an event on sudden braking and/or a jolt.

I agree that females appear to use phones more whilst driving. I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver but I drive as though there is a camera watching me and follow the rules of the road. I suppose it is like life in general there are folk that appear to be above the rules that everyone follow.

My pet hates are

1: The folk who use drop off spaces at supermarkets as parking spaces. There are often real spaces closer than those yet they still park there. Was at Sainsburys this morning and a bloke was parked there. Went up and ask if he would take me to the station. Got a funny look from him and then I said "Oh, this is for taxis so I thought you were a taxi and not a lazy git who couldn't be bothered to park properly". Wish we could have a couple of RPGs that we could use on cars parked.

2: Middle Lane Hogs who overtake air for miles and miles and miles and....

Didn't realise I was THAT grumpy today.

GoPro is great, my son has one and sound, video and portability is excellent.

Idiots in traffic? What a good topic :D In addition to the ones you mention what about these (all taken from my own personal experience):

Never use indicators when turning.

Sleep when traffic light turns green then take a-g-e-s to find first gear and move vehicle forward.

Parking skills: put vehicle in the middle of two parking lots, park in the "Families only" area outside supermarkets despite you're a 20 year old saphead and alone, park on two (!) lots for disabled, place you vehicle 5 cm from the adjacent car making entry the usual way impossible.

Always drive at 60 km/h regardless if its' a motorway or outside a nursery.

Overtake lorries driving at 90 km/h at 91 km/h speed.

Never ever stop at zebra crossings for pedestrians, why should you?

Rev up your engine every now and then especially if prams are nearby.

Use mobile continuously whilst driving e.g. checking your Facebook account every two minutes is essential.

In heavy snow, fog or rain of biblical proportions: do not, repeat, do not drive at a lower speed.

On the road, 10 cm is a sensible distance to the vehicle in front of you, on motorways make that 15 cm for safety reasons.

Two lanes at the traffic light and it turns green: don't let the bastard on your left/right reach the next intersection faster than you; show him/her you're a real man.

Etc. etc.

I think traffic is maybe one of best things/situations where you clearly see how selfish and morons some (too many) people are. Parking so poorly only motorbike slightly fits in to next parking square, high risk passing what causes dangerous situations but makes time between A and B places only 1% faster etc. It feels so wrong somebody innocent random guy (like one my friend years ago) gets seriously injured or dead becouse of somebody dumbass scorcher is trying stretch his small cock. :p

Im an ambulance controller and all our vehicles have a dash top camera fitted for insurance purposes. There is a driver operated button that records for 15 seconds and any impact will also save a record of 15 secs before and 15 secs after. The only problem is speed humps will also trigger the camera leaving hours of bumpety bump recordings.

Im an ambulance controller and all our vehicles have a dash top camera fitted for insurance purposes. There is a driver operated button that records for 15 seconds and any impact will also save a record of 15 secs before and 15 secs after. The only problem is speed humps will also trigger the camera leaving hours of bumpety bump recordings.

Sounds like mine does the same with bumps! Think I'll stick with the one I have for the time being and look to upgrade to an HD one later. Cheers for all the replies though.

Re : Dashcams

Russian people seem to be dashcam experts ! More than car or bike drivers, as we can see on Youtube !

Users who are viewing this thread