Dakota

RIZLOID

EL Gringo
NRU Member
Thats going to be fun removing the cotton wool fibers from the paint :unsure:

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Was going to use sponge to block the holes but couldn't find any (that I could use without incurring the wrath of Mrs W). The cotton actually came out quite easy. It has been sprayed aluminium and looks OK. There are a couple of spots that have gone a bit orange peeley which was due to too much paint. The aluminium lacquer paint is quite fussy about what pressure it needs. The bottle says 12psi but at that nothing comes out so ended up with about 20psi. With some weathering it should be OK. As a first attempt I am happy with the results so far.

969D5E9C-F7DB-44A5-AB08-DD6C0ACCEF83.jpegE10B922A-1136-441B-AFBC-F2ED4B75320C.jpeg

Last edited:

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Thanks! I have some DIY stuff to do but I am enjoying building the model. Able to dip in and out of it. Though this painting phase has required a bit more time.

RIZLOID

EL Gringo
NRU Member
Its looking really nice (y)
The lights on the leading edge of the wing if they are clear plastic and you are going to paint them, paint them on the inside very lightly only before fitting for a more realistic effect. (y)

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Its looking really nice (y)
The lights on the leading edge of the wing if they are clear plastic and you are going to paint them, paint them on the inside very lightly only before fitting for a more realistic effect. (y)
I have been wondering how to do them. I had thought of some foil behind them but some light paint was another thought I had - will go with that I think.

I know it isn't perfect but so far I am really happy with the look and result.

RIZLOID

EL Gringo
NRU Member
You cant beat the end result of painting with the airbrush compared with a normal brush. It always looks like the model is wearing a paint jacket as the paint is far too thick out of them little pots.
You've done a great job so far and should be very pleased with the result :love:
Does the kit come with transfers ? badges, numbers etc

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Transfers? Apparently they are decals now. They were always called transfers when I used to make them when I was a kid. Yes, there are four different versions US, British, French and Italian. The planes we have seen recently were plain aluminium which is why I went for this scheme. I have added a few of he transfers from the US just to give a bit of colour so not ‘correct’ but I like the look. There are still some small pieces to go on and the props plus other tiny transfers.

You are right about the airbrush it does give a proper look to it and you still retain all the detail of the panels. You can get additives for paint that when brushed helps remove the brushed look. Not a thinner though.

The airbrush kit I got is below and I am really pleased with it. I will get some extra bottles so i can keep paint ready as that seems to be a much easier brush to keep clean compared to the gravity feed one. The only thing extra I have bought for it was a quick release connector which makes it easier to swap brushes and clean them. The compressor doesn’t have a tank but it is quiet and has a moisture trap.

36546EDE-F6BD-4550-B358-0653F4CD4A95.jpeg

glenwilson

NRU Heed
OK. Final instalment. There were a few small parts to be added plus the props. Put a light coat of yellow acrylic paint on the inside of the wing lights and it looked fine. Fitted the first on and it was a nice tight fit. Did the second one and that was a good fit but needed a bit of help to sit flush but the little bas***d when right inside the wing. So ended up having to fill and sand the hole and repaint a section of the wing.

Did a little weathering around the engines just to dirty them up a bit and then a final gloss clear cote to protect everything and call it finished. I know that there are things wrong but I am really pleased with the overall result and it is better than I hoped.

Definitely want to do another one now but just don’t know what yet.

3853A757-FA95-45EE-BC1E-E269B2709622.jpeg

lakaelo

NRU Heed
Website
www.mayfieldgarden.de
this is a bargain :D

but something like that is also nice.
but i guess with my chubby fingers, i would smash it into even more pieces after some minutes lol

glenwilson

NRU Heed
😂 I was thinking of something a bit less expensive! At least until my skills have improved. I might do some more small tanks as you can get the kits for around £6/€6 and they would be good to practice painting on.

As for chubby fingers…. Tweezers are your friend. Also a magnifying headset thing. I don’t need specs/contacts which is probably good for my age but having a x1.5 or x2 magnifier does help for small parts.

Raiding the Pound shop has saved a lot too. Plastic shot glasses are great for mixing up paint 25 for £1 but if you buy the same thing from a model shop a £1 each or more! Pigments for weathering can be a lot of £s but a box of pastel colours is about £3 for 12 colours that work just great for exhaust dust.

edgarsmelderis12

NRU Member
OK. Final instalment. There were a few small parts to be added plus the props. Put a light coat of yellow acrylic paint on the inside of the wing lights and it looked fine. Fitted the first on and it was a nice tight fit. Did the second one and that was a good fit but needed a bit of help to sit flush but the little bas***d when right inside the wing. So ended up having to fill and sand the hole and repaint a section of the wing.

Did a little weathering around the engines just to dirty them up a bit and then a final gloss clear cote to protect everything and call it finished. I know that there are things wrong but I am really pleased with the overall result and it is better than I hoped.

View attachment 5333
Small NRU stickers missing :)