corona panic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
1. Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks.
The other half with a drinking problem
Except here is one guy who dont drink and never learned how to cook something more difficult than oatmeal porridge. Lol one my friend always says im living like teenager whos parents are away from home. :D

Friend from school days (Freddie Mercury’s cousin) was very intelligent, did university etc. But when it came to life he was a thick as a brick. Cooking was opening a tin of beans and eating them out of the can. Washing up was showing a dirty dish the water and wiping it with the drying cloth. How he survived long enough to get married I will never know.

Well that was exciting. We put our black box out (recyclable glass) last night as they often come early to empty it. They have only just started collection again. This morning nobody else had theirs out.

Heard the truck and watched them empty the box! Exciting or what. Funny bit was watching some of the neighbours rushing out with theirs. Don’t know how to top that!,

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
Friend from school days (Freddie Mercury’s cousin) was very intelligent, did university etc. But when it came to life he was a thick as a brick. Cooking was opening a tin of beans and eating them out of the can. Washing up was showing a dirty dish the water and wiping it with the drying cloth. How he survived long enough to get married I will never know.
At least im not that hopeless but maybe i should try that. If i get lucky it can trigger nursing instincts of somebody nice and caring woman. :D Last year i saw very beautiful blind woman at local supermarket. Blond hair and not too fat but beautifully curvy body. I guess she was blind becouse she used sunglasses inside and moved around with white stick. Voice in my head says "Now is your chance, go talk to her!" but then i saw somebody guy came there and it looked like he was her husband or boyfriend. And i was like "DAMN IT!" :banghead: 😃

The thing about cooking is that if you assume from the beginning that you will create something truly awful anything that is even vaguely edible is a success. Choose something you like and try making it. Creme brûlée for me was a good example. It is pretty simple to make with only a few ingredients that are easy to get. I tried quite a few recipes and most of the first attempts ended up wit h the egg getting scrambled. They weren’t creamy but were just about edible so didn’t get wasted.so tried a different recipe and eventually found one that works every time.

Most of cooking is consistency. Use scales and measures for the ingredients and read and understand the recipe before starting. If the result looks like the picture it isa success as food photography is often dishonest and while not photoshopped they use a lot of tricks. If it is edible you have won.

Once you have mastered a recipe - as in it tastes OK but there are problems then you can work out why. Sometimes an oven can be set for 200°C but the actual temp is higher/lower. Some recipes may need less or more time in an oven.
The ingredients can vary in quality or size too. When it says an 🧅 it could mean a 🧅 or a 🧅.
Same for things like flour. Try and stick to a brand for consistency. For somethings you do need to use decent ingredients. Using a €1 bottle of wine in a sauce will probably not be a good idea. But you could use it in a stew.

We have a bread machine for convenience and consistently get some really nice loaves. But occasionally we still get a doorstop/brick which usually means we did something wrong.

so to recap, if you are starting out on a lockdown culinary course:

1️⃣ Choose something simple that you like to start with, something with inexpensive ingredients
2️⃣ Know that you will fail. Even if the first one is great
3️⃣ Don’t worry about it and be proud of your results. You will get better.
4️⃣ Gradually try more complex recipes, don’t jump in the deep end
5️⃣ YouTube is a good resource for techniques and advice.

As you may know Sweden is one of few countries not in lockdown and the jury is still out - sensible or not? Only time will tell and it seems a majority of people here are compliant with social distancing, hygiene and not visiting the elderly etc.

However, we still have x (insert derogatory term here) who cannot understand the simple and straightforward advice which no one can be unfamiliar with as it’s trumpeted out everywhere and constantly. The Darwin award committee will, sadly, have a tough job this year...

The major problem so far has been the mortality rates at residential homes (which of course is tragic) and it’s still unknown why this is the case.

Finally, there are obviously many lessons to be learned from this and let’s hope we are better prepared for the next pandemic. Needless to say, this includes getting rid of the imbecile toddler-in-chief in the White House.

Last edited:
Lockdown will be effective if people comply with it. In theory if nobody goes out then the virus will not be transmitted and should therefore die out. Had cockwombles followed the advice then it wouldn’t have had to be that extreme.

What is frustrating is that some governments (looks in the direction of London) had thought it was acceptable to carry on and hope nobody notices the corpses.

That was very social day, now i dont need see any other people in at least couple weeks. First delivery guys brought me supply drops from nearby supermarket. There was everything i ordered, looks like people are calming down with hoarding or maybe manufacturing is increased after demand of certain products went higher. Or then all stuff was reserved to me before it arrived to store becouse i made ordering so early couple weeks before delivery day. Little later when i was bringing trash bags and cardboard boxes out i met that lady of new neighbour couple who some time ago complained about that disturbing BF playing noise. When i saw her i was little time thinking if she says something about that should i go with good old classic "it was my brother" ban appeal excuse or call my lawyer. :oops: She was surprisingly nice becouse im been more quiet after getting that note so looks like im off the hook. 😀

• Haha
:D :D :D last time my new neighbours celebrated "what ever it was" we slapped each other faces few times at 4 am, becouse my kids could not sleep :D then that cock called police and when they arrived i told them : get that cock out of flat and ill hit him some more times :) they laughed and leaved :D

• Haha
Around here, the most annoying thing we have is the woman next door trying to sneeze louder than I can or the guy down the road starting up his Lotus Exige S 240 which isn’t the quietest of cars.

Not sure about what he is but yes the car is probably worth more than the house! His wife has some old 4x4 but that has a growly V8 in it. There are quite a few Range Rovers but people are swapping them out because they are unreliable. Seeing a few mid-life crisis Mustangs appearing too. Someone has something exotic, can hear it start occasionally and definitely seems to have a Modena ring to it. Have regularly seen a couple of Mclarens coming up here. Just a small village between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Reactions: Steffos666
Not sure about what he is but yes the car is probably worth more than the house! His wife has some old 4x4 but that has a growly V8 in it. There are quite a few Range Rovers but people are swapping them out because they are unreliable. Seeing a few mid-life crisis Mustangs appearing too. Someone has something exotic, can hear it start occasionally and definitely seems to have a Modena ring to it. Have regularly seen a couple of Mclarens coming up here. Just a small village between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Good god all those who have no personality and have to buy an overly expensive car they cant really afford...

Well no offense a nice car is always good and if it is well in line of the money you own its ok'ish but I love my Opel Corsa for being costunintensive and I have better places to spend my money than a big ball compensation(BBC???). Again said that a nice car stays a nice car - Im german after all.

We all have different priorities. Our house is quite modest but adequate for us though a man cave, library, workshop, study, home cinema would be nice additions. 🙂 Same for cars, our Duster is perfect for what we need. Yes, I would like something exotic though getting in and out would amuse the hell out of anybody watching!!

We have a considerable beverage collection which is our only vice. Would rather have something nice occasionally rather than some anonymous generic beer. We rarely have take out food because not really found any places we like and can probably cook something ourselves that is less expensive and more enjoyable. We tend to try and repair rather than replace if possible. We still enjoy our little luxuries like decent bread that we ar unable to (currently) make.

The one thing we miss at the moment is being able to go out and enjoy the views, scenery and historical places to visit. We will get that back and if it means staying in then that is what we will do. Some warm sunny days would be nice please.

🤔 OK, we are boring old farts!! 🙂

Around here, the most annoying thing we have is the woman next door trying to sneeze louder than I can or the guy down the road starting up his Lotus Exige S 240 which isn’t the quietest of cars.
Property maintenance workers with their leaf blowers under my window are most annoying noise here becouse its so loud and continues hours. Every time when they start doing that early at morning i want throw them with small iron weight plates or at least hope somebody climate chance hysteric person go punch them to face. :D

Yes. What happened to good old fashioned rakes and brooms?

Guess I need to get to Aldi to day given what they are selling…

B7101EC8 5515 4D0C BB63 B0037D1372FA

Reading all bad news during this week made me think we are starting to see first social results of this corona mess around world. Even here where we have quite good situation if compared to other countries. Still some people are already losing their minds becouse of fear and anxiety about future. Some becouse they are used to go work and be active with social hobbies, now they are getting bored in lockdown. Some people die undirectly to corona in their homes becouse they fear corona virus and dont go to hospital when they have symptoms of heart attack or stroke. Some are lost their jobs and financially screwed becouse burocracy is slow and employment agency and social insurance institution are buried under an avalanche of applications. People who have problems with mental health, alcohol, drugs etc are going worse becouse their services are closed and they have less ability to stay calm. If lots of companies are going down and people cant pay their debts that can lead to similar wave of suicides like we saw after big economic depression of 1990s. Violence inside homes is rising becouse line between week and weekends is blurred, drinking of regular people is increased and being inside months in row makes problems of relationships go worse. Like i predicted some time ago in this thread or that Take care of yourself thread earlier, we can already see increased crime here. Restrictions preventing people moving over borders is cutting down smuggling and that leads to rising prices of drugs. Junkies who get most of their moneys from welfare benefits also struggle to get their moneys in time becouse whole system is jammed becouse of mass corona unemployment. When drugs are more expensive and junkies have more difficulties get money that leads to increasing of crime. Its already 3 armed robberies during this week in city where i live.

All this makes me think how people can take this situation so heavily. I understand all this uncertainty can be stressful to people who are financially screwed or are worried about their loved ones who are more vulnerable to corona virus. But i dont understand that how some people can get so badly messed up becouse of this. Our grandfathers had to go to war and fight in snowy forests when there was -40C outside in worst times of Winter war. Now people are bitching about that they need to do some temporary changes to their normal behavior or stay home some time when we have more different entertainment than ever. Damn we would be screwed in actual war situation with all these people who cant handle even small changes to their way of living and dont have persistence to even start damn lawn mower if it takes more than couple pulls.... If we are in this situation anyway it doesnt get better if people worries about it 24/7. They should do what they can to minimize problems and then just try relax. There is good side in this situation people have now more free time, they should turn that quarantine time to quality time with your wifes and husbands, go fishing with your kids, focus to your hobbies etc. Learn something new or what ever floats your boat, just dont think 24/7 in your heads how screwed we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anxiety works in weird ways. Our routine isn’t that different from normal except for the not going out quite as much we would normally to places like libraries or different shops. Going to the shops is a lot different with people queuing fot about 30 minutes just to get in, once in you are trying to keep apart from everyone by 2m when some don’t bother. Then you get back to the car and use hand gel and work out what you touched before getting in and wiping that down and so on. In real terms nothing particularly weird but quite a distance away from normal. We are very lucky in that financially, we don’t have any worries. For many that is not the case.

My wife has been showing increased stress and anxiety as a result. Yes, things are a little different in practical terms but because of the things we are doing I believe the risk of catching the virus is quite small. Yet every cough, sneeze etc seems to wind her up.

The same for my Mum. We were down there just before the lockdown started. She was insisting that we come home rather than stay with her. We made sure that she had loads of food that will last and alsoenough meals and frozen/tinned food so it would only need an occasional top-up. She has really good neighbours that have been getting bits for her. Yet, she has been feeling sick. Not virus symptoms just ill. We speak to her often and use FaceTime so she can see us and that has helped. Again, it seems to be anxiety related symptoms.

During a war there are usually propaganda broadcasts designed to undermine governments. Both sides did it and in various ways. Radio broadcasts, leaflets and so on. Nowadays we have Facebook and Twitter spreading utter bollocks like COVID-19 being caused by 5G phone masts. Not suggesting that the 5G thing is propaganda but when it gets repeatedby well know people it has the same effect.

Then you get these government briefings. The ones we have are more like those from Saddam in Iraq, all the questions are carefully vetted and prepared for. There are lots of promises about next week, equipment will be next week, more testing next week etc. The questions never press them on this. The answers are always vague and waffle. There isn’t any leadership that is seen in other countries. Merkle for example, from here anyway, appears to present information in a way that gives you confidence that she actually understands what she is talking about. The briefings happen too often without any new information and there is little hope in them.

So there are various things that contribute to and increase normal anxiety. There is no news except for the 🦠 no sport, no pub to go to, no restaurants, or much else to distract from 🦠 At the moment there isn’t enough hope and signs of when things will change back towards things being a bit more normal.I can’t see things being “normal“ until next year and even then things will have changed significantly.

We try and avoid the news at the moment, not to be ignorant of what is going on but purely from a selfish wellbeing point of view. No point doing something that makes you feel down when you can do things that make you feel better.

Everybody is little different and someones are more sensitive but people who complain about these lockdowns should think how much worse everything could be. Sitting on your butt and trying spend time at home doing something you like is not so bad if compared to war or major nature disaster. Fox example think if big earthquake breaks down whole city. After that your house is just big pile of bricks and there is no more shelter, electricity or running water. Life after that would suck and be much more uncomfortable than now... Or if you cant go out at all becouse enemy artillery spammers and plane whores are hammering your city. That would be "little worse" than keeping social distance or washing your hands more... :D

I saw that same mental breaking under pressure thing happen in military, you can see strange shit when people reach their mental tipping point. Softest guys cracked mentally in couple first days just becouse of all that being there 24/7, losing of freedom, yelling towards your face, heavy/uncomfortable/annoying stuff you have to do etc. When we had first war training camp it was point when real "fun" started. It was something like end of january or early february of 2008. Weather was very cold, something like -25C outside and we had chance to sleep only couple hours per night. Sometimes you could not sleep at all becouse others are stepping on your legs when moving in tent or there is too much noise going on when you try sleep. Some nights you could not sleep at all becouse of stressing that you have to get sleep fast before you have to wake up again after couple hours or if "enemy attacks" defense drill happens during your turn to rest/sleep. These training camps were seriously very hard becouse of being week all time feeling cold and sleeping 0-2 hours per night. One guy collapsed mentally very badly during one of these camps. He tried first talking with chief doctor of the brigade but doctor downplayed his situation and sent him back to camp. Later that night he totally snapped and whacked his own knee with a hatchet just to get out. I think that same thing with mental stress happens now everywhere, we are all in same "training camp" except there is no way to quit and go back to normal life.

Lol its amazing how stupid people can be if they really believe these crazy rumours 5G is causing corona virus. There is maybe 1% of world in biggest cities where 5G is working but corona is everywhere. So either 5G dont cause corona or these 5G towers have very effective range lol. :D I would be more worried about that higher radiation level and how that effects health of people in long run.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is advice from Vito Corleone to all lockdown whiners who need to fix their attitude. 😃

Reactions: General_Misery

Users who are viewing this thread