corona panic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I'm doing more sourdough Bread. Until now I only had one out of Rye. Until last week I had no problem with flour since I grind the whole grain on my own... Now the local shop is out of both flour and grains...

What are people doing though? I dont even get yeast anymore... Whyyyyy I dont believe in people randomly generatingbaking skills sorry for being so pessimistic.

Maybe the old flour bags will stand in front of the houses as a gift whilest having rainy weather in a year or so(thats what they do with electronics in cologne).

Reactions: lakaelo
We actually found 2 small bags of white bread flour today. The first we have seen for about 6 weeks. There were two small bread mixes too.
Shops had no pasta either apart from some gluten free. Most other things were in stock.

How do you grind your flour and do your sourdough? I have given up on sourdough as I cannot get the bread to do anything. The starters I have made look healthy and active but just don’t seem to do much when used to make bread.

Will now be standing on the street corner dealing. £/€10 a roll seem fair?

39AE6370 6298 47A1 9467 05E1ADAB65EC

i guess actual is it easier to buy a package kokain as a package flour.
Actually closed borders make getting of drugs more difficult and addicts are more desperate than ever. Smugglers need to find new ways, for example hide their stuff in other shippings or use little boats pretending to be fishing or carry their stuff in backpacks through forests pretending they are just making outdoors trip. But that can take time and rising demand leads to rising prices and that leads to shitload of burglaries and armed robberies when junkies are trying to get money or drugs from pharmacy stores. Here we can already see rise of violent robberies when reading news and looks like local police is worried about that. Also regular people can become a threat in future after some time. Lots of people lost their jobs and some of them cant pay their rent and buy food. Having unemployment support money from government is slow even during normal time, now there is dozens times more applications coming than normally and some workers can can be sick or quarantined. If governments cant increase their staff and get that jammed benefit system work its just matter of time when poor people starts looting and rioting. Police is here already stretched very thin becouse our leaders are morons who cuts all time costs from important functions of society and still acts like our little country is damn global welfare office... :facepalm: If governments dont soon get corona situation under control and economy dont start work again this can lead to devastating mess what makes great depression of 1930s look like good old days. Creating money out of thin air and trying to stimulate economy can work only short time, after that it leads to massive inflation and then even people who now have money are screwed. I dont want be fear mongering but i think its good to understand how bad this situation is and prepare for total chaos where you maybe need defend yourself against drug addict robbers, hungry looters or opportunistic psychos who uses situation as excuse to their violent actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife: What are you doing?
Me: Just ordering some model glues (Ok maybe about 5 just in case this goes on for longer - no not panic buying just because some are sold out)
Wife: What is that then? (points at screen)
Me: Oh, just a Sopwith Camel model 1/72 scale and about £4 (something different to do)
Wife: Why don't you get something better?
Me: :oops: (presses continue shopping)

<ten minutes later>

Me: :love:
My shop basket: :eek: 1/16 German Pz.Kpfw. VI Ausf.E Tiger I Model Kit

Wife's reaction: Unknown at this point!

LOL :D Looks like im legendary hero like Simo Häyhä of this generation. 😂😂😂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Love
Reactions: glenwilson
Seeing that cat picture reminds me of my original thoughts that the virus was man made and it all went horribly wrong :unsure:

How do you grind your flour and do your sourdough? I have given up on sourdough as I cannot get the bread to do anything. The starters I have made look healthy and active but just don’t seem to do much when used to make bread.
Sorry I missed that comment
How do you grind your flour:

I have a kitchenmachine where you can put a grinder on. Its from the 80s or 90s. Indeed you only will get whole grain flour that way. There should be plenty of options but i already had this one. Its "only" a conical metal mill and no stone but it works and is no mess at all. I only grind what i need because its just better for everything (just like coffee beans stay best ungrinded).

How do you do your sourdough:

1st Day:
You just mix 50g full grain flour with 40°C hot water.

2nd day to infinity:
take 50g of the old starter and mix it with the ingredients above.

It should bubble after a week or so. If it doesnt it will probably have mold(is that the right word?) on it and you start again.

Easiest is rye actually. If you mastered rye Starter you can change to wheat with feeding a part of your sourdough with different wheat, because you can use the yeast and bacteria from the old starter.

If you dont need it put it in the fridge.
Its good for 3 weeks without feeding - just take it out feed it like above.
If its active it should only take 12h to double in volume, and then you can take of what you need for your bread and take it back in the fridge.

Reactions: glenwilson
I have 2 rye starters and a wheat starter in the fridge my wife hates me for it:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
Thanks for that. Will research grinders and getting flour.

Have tried various starters but will have a go a that version. They are a bit like having a Tamagotchi/pet when it come to looking after them.

What recipe for the bread?

I may have to translate it for you ;) he uses a lot of special words for techniques.
If you want a translation i can pm it to you.
In my opinion he is the chief of german sourdough bakery - even bakers only use dead sourdough aromatics and enzymes it really is horrible in my opinion and in cologne i dont get the bread i want anyways.

I may have to translate it for you ;) he uses a lot of special words for techniques.
If you want a translation i can pm it to you.
In my opinion he is the chief of german sourdough bakery - even bakers only use dead sourdough aromatics and enzymes it really is horrible in my opinion and in cologne i dont get the bread i want anyways.

Thanks will have a look and I will try to translate it but if I have any problems I will ask.

1. Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks.
The other half with a drinking problem

2. I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune, now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe

3. I need to practice social distancing with the refrigerator

4. Every few days, try your jeans on just to make sure they still fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

5. I don't think anyone expected when we changed the clocks, we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

6. This morning, I saw my neighbour talking to her cat again. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her.
When I got back into the house, I told my dog and we both laughed.

7. My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee, it cleans the toilet.

8. I'm so excited it's time to take out the garbage.
What should I wear?

9. I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to "Puerto Backyarda" cos I'm getting real tired of "Los Livingroom"

10. Classified ad:
Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun

Stay healthy :cool:

To be honest, we have not noticed a huge difference as we are both retired. We have been doing a lot of the usual routine without the going out for a day trip or some time at a loch side. Yes, bin day is quite exciting for us too. Our council has just reintroduced the glass collection which is tomorrow. Tempted to not put the box out until I can hear them coming just for that little bit extra fun. Two of our neighbours are still having people visit - getting really tempted to grass them.

Must go, have to start on the weekly shopping list. Easter eggs should be cheaper now!!

Users who are viewing this thread