corona panic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
We have been trying to get things in for my mum so she doesn’t have to go out if possible. It looks like nearly everything Is being stockpiled which is just stupid. I am not saying don’t have sufficient stuff in but people need to use common sense. Not sure us in Britain has exactly been blessed with people with common sense over the recent few years.

This is little off topic but i think there is maybe one good thing in this emergency situation: Recent times we are seen how nations get more divided than ever in peace time. Everybody are fighting against everybody. Left vs right, liberals vs conservatives, natives vs minorities, religions vs atheism and list goes on... This can be uniting people becouse we have to stop fighting about everything and try work together to minimize deaths, health problems, financial and social damages etc fallout of this mess. For example Finland had civil war 1918 when people were divided to White and Red factions. White faction was government, supported by Germany and foreign volunteers. Red faction was local commies supported by Soviets. White faction won that civil war and people of red faction were treated like criminals after that. Lots of reds got executed or died in prison camps to starvation or diseases. Later 1939 Soviet union started demand land from Finland to get "safe zone" against Germany. That fighting together against attack of common enemy kinda healed that White vs Red division and united Finland as nation. Rest of the story is damn legendary and big reason of national pride: Little Finland managed to stop attack of much bigger Soviet union, save its independence and lost only 11% of its territory. Winter war was well known even outside of Finland becouse of that glorious miracle of winter war. Even nowadays 80 years later people says we need now that similar "spirit of winter war" and "Sisu". It means something like "having guts" or rock solid persistence in hard times. So i kinda think this is "winter war of our time" and hopefully same healing of division/polarisation happens now too, here and everywhere when we deal with this biggest shit storm since WWII.

We had even cool elite soldiers like in BF V. Most well known is propably Simo Häyhä. He is believed to have killed over 500 men of Soviet army with his M/28-30 rifle and Suomi Kp/-31 submachine gun during winter war. Simo Häyhä is unique and interesting also becouse he used iron sights of his rifle instead of scope. Propably becouse that scope glint could give away his location or scope can get frost becouse of cold circumstances. One reason was also that he was very good shooter and hunter so he was already used to iron sights of his rifle. Häyhä got injured after russian sniper shot him to left jaw but still survived alive from war. He died 2002 in a war veterans nursing home at age of 96. After Winter war we had Continuation war when Finland supported Germany with Operation Barbarossa, attack to Soviet union. Here is some links to Wikipedia if somebody is like me and likes read about interesting stories of history:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: General_Misery
Asking, for a friend some, self isolation advice:
  • With many washing detergents being in short supply, what would be considered to be a reasonable length of time to wear clothes. Should you change them every week or month or longer? Not at all is an answer but going shopping may be a bit embarrassing.
  • Obviously we are washing our hands regularly but how often should we do the rest of ourselves? Do we wait until the dirt is crusty or is it like every couple of days?

Mum gives us a shopping list for us to try and get on Monday. Has things like:
  • Milk - there is already 3l of the stuff she likes in the fridge plus a box of UHT milks
  • Powdered Milk - see above (plus it is about €10 for a tin)
  • Microwaveable rice - how often do you use it? About once a week. Well you have about 20 weeks worth already plus 1kg of ordinary rice.
  • Toilet roll - 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Cleaning stuff - see above
  • Meals - wtf does that mean? Anything you can see. Still no clearer.
Then it was if Tesco doesn’t have it try ALDI, Lidl, Sainsbury’s, Asda…. so no social isolation and staying in for us then. 😁

lol To be honest I would get that because she is being an obnoxious racist cow at the moment. I just cannot wait to get home and away from the constant iPad tapping and the “look at this (fake photoshopped Facebook photo)”, moaning about food I have cooked (too salty (I don’t cook with salt), too spicy (something she had bought), etc, etc,), and back home to sniffing glue. 😬

Sounded a bit harsh above but not kidding. Wife said can we go tomorrow. Thought going on Mother’s Day may not be quite the done thing!!

Not sure how true it is as I haven’t seen it in more than one place but fuel pumps may be a source of virus transfer because the number of people that use them. Article suggesting using one-use gloves and anti-bac afterwards. As I said cannot find more than one source but may be worth considering.

My brother mentioned the same thing. I have a diesel car and no matter how careful you are, you always get diesel on your hand when fueling so I carry a handful of black rubber gloves in the door pocket all the time,
because you then get it on the steering wheel and its there for ages. The plastic gloves dispenser at the petrol stations are always empty. You can wash your hands for hours but the smell still remains, same goes for petrol too. Old fishermans trick NEVER REFUEL ON YOUR WAY FISHING, if you do I guarantee you will catch 0 fish.

Diesel smell seems to get on you no matter what or how careful you are. We do have some gloves with us so should be OK. The pay at pump ones help to keep away from people but there is still the keyboard to touch as the contactless payment limit restriction isn’t helpful.

This link should work and you don’t have to have the Periscope app or join.

A US doctor who has worked to develop ebola cures explains some of the recent news and other questions. Might be worth a watch if you have some time.

Who would have thought that a licking toilets challenge would end up with you being in hospital? Whilst it is hard not to wish the virus on to some people you just know that karma would come back to bite. But for idiots like this who not only have unnecessarily now put their own lives In danger but also those that have to care for them and anyone that had contact with them and those who are possibly being denied care because of their actions you can’t help but think let Darwinism ake its course.

They could have just worn some protective headgear instead.

8E6FD0F1 93D6 4543 AC12 28E69ECE9908 B9091587 4F2A 445A AAAE 0D9D2A25E79E D383DB8C 881D 4EE2 AE71 BA149D25FCBA

Users who are viewing this thread