Cooling Issue

• Thread starter DarkByD3sign
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
If it were the CPU would it even boot or turn on?

yes it does normally bios normally doesnt need the cpu to start i think

did you check the ram ? you said your bios still boots ? go into it and make a ram test how was that option called again ;)

should take a while according to how much ram you have ^^

Maybe worth removing everything from the motherboard and the battery too and leaving it for about an hour so all the components can fully empty of any power. Then reset the BIOS back to defaults using the jumper or if you can get into the BIOS through that. If you are not getting any video see if there is anyway of getting a speaker attached to the motherboard so you can hear the start up beeps as that will give you a big clue as to what is wrong.

I have played this game myself and it is really frustrating as you just don't know what the problem is. If you are getting a new CPU and motherboard I would try and not be tempted to test (if they are compatible) in the old setup as if there is something faulty it could fry the newly purchased component. I know you want to find out what the problem is but you may be better off not knowing. Where I used to work we had two £500,000 mainframe production printers. One wasn't working and the engineer who came to fix it started swapping parts between them. In the end we had two printers that didn't work because he fried components when he swapped them. After that we never allowed electronic part swapping unless. Mechanical parts was a bit different.

Can you still get to the Bios screen or not
Sounds like the problem is getting worse
I wonder if it's a Bios issue, corrupt we shall see

It's a funny one!

I turn it on and it switches itself of after 2 or so seconds.

It then restarts itself and stays on for approx 10 seconds and then does that in a cycle.

I have looked high and dry on the case and cannot find a speaker jumper so I cannot listen to what sound it is making.

Once I get a second and my brother is home I'll create a youtube Video for it, so you guys can see what's going on.

[video=youtube;RG0Z0qP_fjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0Z0qP_fjI[/video]

The computer isn't on long enough for it to reach the monitor to display anything.

My brother is just thinking of buying a brand new motherboard.. we are bothso pissed off. My hope is that the new CPU would fix it but I'm hesitant to get it inside when it could knacker that too.

*sigh*

Last edited:
Yes it is dual bios. There is only a reset button on the front of the case not on the motherboard.

Yes it is dual bios. There is only a reset button on the front of the case not on the motherboard.

Ok so if your brother still has the manual to the motherboard look how to reset the bios or download it.
It's really worth a try and will not do any harm at this point, the damage is already done
It only set's everything back to default

I thought you could only do that by being in bios when you push del on your keyboard.

What reset it? You can also do it with the little jumper near the BIOS chip

What reset it? You can also do it with the little jumper near the BIOS chip

Is it just a case of removing it and then putting it back on whilst the PSU is switched off?

@ Darky No it's not
Be very careful here you need to download the motherboard manual and read carefully on resetting the Bios
You normally move the little tiny motherboard jumper over for about 5 to 10 seconds then move it back with power turned off, but don't quote me on this with your motherboard

[video=youtube;-9RnIj-EcdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RnIj-EcdQ[/video]

Last edited:
So I looked for the header but it appears GIGABYTE are cheap and don't supply one. I removed the battery for 45 minutes.

When I turned it back on it changed something... rather than taking 2 seconds before it rebooted, it was on 15 or so.

A friend has a spare CR0032 new battery so I'm going to replace my brothers tomorrow.

On the motherboard case headers there are jumpers for wiring a speaker which should help to get some error messages. After resetting the BIOS it may take longer to fail as one of the first checks on start up is installed memory and this can be bypassed or shortened in the BIOS. I would remove all the memory and check it for any damage and clean the contacts with a dry cloth. Then add one stick to the motherboard and try to start the PC. If it doesn't start, try the RAM in the next slot and so on. If this doesn't work it could indicate a motherboard memory controller issue.

Picture shows speaker connections. That would be a massive help in diagnosing the problem. Amazon do them oft about £1.99 (just ordered one for me just in case I need one!).

1short beep :System normal
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error
1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error
1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error
Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2

Or

1 short beep :Memory Error
2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction .
5 short beep :CPU error
6 short beep:Keyboard error
7 short beep :CPU interruption error
8 short beep:Graphic card error
9 short beep :Memory error
10 short beep :CMOS error
11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
So the new battery and jumper was a negative. Glen can you copy what you've bought from Amazon please as our search is proving to be a fail.

I wemailed Gigabyte last night who were useless as always. :-(

This is what I ordered. There are a few on there and some have stupid postage costs - this one was £2.20 = 49p postage (from China).

20pcs Desktop Pc Computer Mainboard Case Internal Speaker Connector Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This one appears to be from the UK but postage is £4

PC Internal Mini Onboard Speaker: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Checked Maplin and PC World but they don't have anything (may have been easier to get hold of). There are some on eBay too. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• PC Speaker.jpg
    PC Speaker.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 24
Hope it helps. It surprises me that cases don't include them nowadays.

helped me a lot of times :D

otherwise i would have never get the idea that the RAM of a graphics card can die ;)

... happened with my last pc ^^

Maybe it is a ploy to make people just buy a new PC or mobo/cpu/RAM combo. Wonder how many people go through the process and just through £/$/Euro at the problem because of the lack of info?

Users who are viewing this thread