Cooling Issue

• Thread starter DarkByD3sign
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
sry. saw that threat too late.
i had nearly the same issues 2 years ago with my i5. but the pc went off and a blue screen told me that the cpu is way too hot. sth between 90 and 100 degrees.
although many friends told me that the contact paste couldn't be the problem i renewed it and everything was fine again.

already heard a lot of problems with that stuff especially with laptops :D

Sometimes it starts floating as it still is a liquid and under certain circumstances it seems to be possible to just flow away :D

Argh! So we installed the new fan but the computer is now in a permanent boot loop and resets itself after 5 or so seconds. :-(

Argh! So we installed the new fan but the computer is now in a permanent boot loop and resets itself after 5 or so seconds. :-(

descripe it more precise ? you only see bios screen or what ?

So the computer gets turned on, fans spool up. Everything comes to life then bam it turns off. All within 5-10 seconds

There is nothing ffrom the monitor it remains blank.

Ican do a video if required.

So the new fan is connected to the cpu fan socket or 3 pin cpu fan connect on the main board, and this problem only has risen since the installation of the fan.
The thermal paste which was applied should only be a very very thin layer like 0.3 microns thick, yes I know you cannot measure it but it needs to be a thin layer....
This paste is conductive so if you get this on some small parts on the board or else where you could short your board out be careful.
Maybe the cpu is not seated right or theres some dirt causing this problem

Other problems could be?
To me it sounds like something on the board is not seated correctly cpu - Ram - Graphics card as well, check all

I would be tempted to start from scratch.

Remove ram, all leads, and so on and rebuild the PC one bit at a time. I know that is a pain but it can allow you to find something that is going wrong. If the MB has onboard graphics use that first then progress to GPU. Use only one RAM stick and if it boots OK replace that with the other(s) to check they are all OK. Then gradually add stuff on to it. If it doesn't boot initially, try booting from a CD only using a Linux OS or a USB stick. Should start to help narrow down the problem. Also check leads SATA and so on if you have spares as they can lead to issues with booting too if a drive has an intermittent connection.

Also, try resetting the BIOS. That may of got corrupted resulting in the reboot cycle.

Do you get beeps as they can be telling. No speaker? Maybe worth seeing if you can add one to get some diagnostic info.

If it boots OK with a minimum of hardware installed, gradually add components one at a time to see if that makes any difference. This should help you to determine if there is a faulty component (it starts failing when you add an extra one). If possible leave the GPU to last. If the same issue occurs at that point you either have a faulty GPU or the power supply is failing under load. The power supply is harder to just replace for testing which is why I would do it that way unless you have one you can use without installing it on the PC itself.

Last edited:
Right, my brain is fried with this issue now..

Ive just taken it all apart to test stuff and still no joy.

I suspect its the PSU or CPU.

Tested:

Both graphics cards out, DVI plugged into the motherboard.
Soundcard out
Reviewed the paste, cleaned and reapplied
Ram taken out and cleaned
Fan headers taken out and checked.
Switching round of graphics cards.

One thing I did notice when I reopened it up is that one of the ram sticks were slightly unclipped, and a power cable for the main SSD was unconnected. Sorted that out and still no joy.

When looking at the CPU I noticed that my brother had managed to get what looked like a trace of paste on the business end of the CPU ut I cleaned this best I could, looks to have disappeared.

Could really do with a spare PSU just dont have one :-(

Any advice?

Maybe worth trying an Ubuntu live CD without a HDD/SSD in place and try the CD/DVD drive through different SATA ports. That would eliminate another possible source of the problem.

But you are probably at that point where you either have to replace the power supply or the CPU or motherboard. The cheapest option would be to buy a really cheap power supply to see if the PC boots with a minimum amount of hardware - £15 would get one. If it proves the power supply is faulty you have only spent a few £ and could then get a more suitable one. If it doesn't boot you then have the issue of it potentially being a motherboard or CPU issue. Given the temp issue, it could be that the CPU went faulty causing the high temps. I'd probably be tempted to get a new CPU/motherboard combo rather than risk the existing pair but obviously depends on the budget after testing power supply.

Found this which may help. May be a little old as when was the last time you used a floppy disk?

Symptom Check

When I turn it on...

It makes no sound and there are no lights
•Check the Power Supply
•Check the Motherboard
•Check the CPU

When I turn it on...

It just beeps
•Check the Beep Codes List
•Check the Keyboard
•Check the Video Card
•Check the Memory
•Check the Motherboard

When I turn it on...

It sounds normal but the screen is blank
•Make sure the monitor has power
•Check the connection to the video card
• Check the Video Card

When I turn it on...

It starts up but never loads the operating system
•Check the HDD/SSD
•Check the Memory
•Check the Motherboard
•Check the CPU

When I turn it on...

It freezes BEFORE the operating system starts loading
•Check the Keyboard
•Check the Video Card
•Check the Memory
•Check the Power Supply
•Check the Motherboard
•Check the CPU

When I turn it on...

It freezes WHILE the operating system is loading
This is probably a software problem. If you are using Windows, try booting into safe mode by holding down the "F8" key or in some cases the "CONTROL" key.

While it is on...

It makes a screeching or other loud noise
•Check the Power Supply, CPU, Case or other Internal Fans
•Check the CD-ROM
•Check the Hard Disk
•Check the Floppy Drive :)

While it is on...

It shuts itself off
•Check the power features in the BIOS
•Check the power features in the Windows Control Panel
•Check the Power Supply
•Check that all fans are working
•Check for the accumulation of dust

Last edited:
Here is great solution to your heating problems... :rolleyes:

Trollolololol. :welsh: :tbag:

Attachments

• 79485c68_redneck_engineering_15.jpg
    79485c68_redneck_engineering_15.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 18
:

Makes sense with it being an HP 'puter. My HP laptop CPU runs at about 80 constantly and the fans are always on. Tried cleaning/blowing out the dust but hasn't helped. Now I just accept that is what it does and also out up with the smell of my nads being toasted because it is so hot.

:

Makes sense with it being an HP 'puter. My HP laptop CPU runs at about 80 constantly and the fans are always on. Tried cleaning/blowing out the dust but hasn't helped. Now I just accept that is what it does and also out up with the smell of my nads being toasted because it is so hot.

at last you can say that it is doing a hot blowjob. :nofeed: :)

:

Lmao HP roasted nuts :p

So just to give you guys an update...

Ive found a Corsair TX850W on Ebay for £60 as well as an I7 2600k which I suspect I will win for £80 which can both be testers.

So just to give you guys an update...

Ive found a Corsair TX850W on Ebay for £60 as well as an I7 2600k which I suspect I will win for £80 which can both be testers.

oh thats a lot of investement... sounds bit selfish but if you sell those components if you dont need em anymore ;) post it on the forum sounds interesting ^^

Of course, but they will have to come with some price tag.

Lmao HP roasted nuts :p

Have had to resort to Nomex underwear to protect the jewels. I like roasted nuts but just not my own! Probably explains why the battery only lasts for about an hour as most of the power turns to heat. If it got hot on the other side of the laptop I could use the DVD drive as a coffee cup holder/heater.

The Hx850w has arrived! I'll be fitting it after work, god I hope it fixes it.

Look forward to seeing if the Hx850w fixes the problem. Keep us updated.

By the way, I measured my HP laptop bottom surface by the fan exhaust and the temperature was 43C! 48C can cause scolding. Had a look to see if I could get the CPU temp below 80 but there wasn't any easy way check the heatsink and thermal paste!

The PSU hasn't fixed it *sigh*

Have to wait for the CPU from ebay to be delivered now.

Something tells me it is going to be his motherboard, which would seriously piss us both off!

Last edited:
If it were the CPU would it even boot or turn on?

Users who are viewing this thread