Coffee (espresso)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Just a quick video of making some espresso. Had this machine for a few years now. This is my second one as the first one stopped working three or so years ago. At the time, decent espresso machines were significantly more expensive than this one. It is fussy about the coffee grind though with Illy being the only one I have found gives consistent results. Both the machines I got cost about £50 so for me they are good value.

When this one breaks then I would like to invest in something that has more pressure than this one. Also bean to cup would be nice. The capsule machines are nice and convenient but for the amount of coffee I get through they would probably not be good value for me. I only drink espresso so having all the flavours would also be a waste. That said the capsule machines do produce a great coffee.

For larger coffees I have a stove top moka pot (12 cup)!

Anyway, the video shows an espresso being made and as usual there are some gratuitous slo-mo scenes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quick update. Captured using a GoPro and iPhone 5S. I actually had two GoPro cameras for the actual espresso shot but the light has been so bad and I was getting all sorts of reflections. In the end I used an LED cluster to fill in what natural light there was. The Slo-Mo on the iPhone gives good enough results that even running the GoPro at 120fps and slowing it down doesn't give as good results.

Last edited:
Nice video Glen ill have to do a video of me Dolce Gusto :LOL:
It will not be as intensive as a nespresso machine but never the less.
Americano is a great early Morning drink but im going to get some espresso cartridges and gonna give those a try (y)

Last edited:
Nice video Glen ill have to do a video of me Dolce Gusto :LOL:
It will not be as intensive as a nespresso machine but never the less.
Americano is a great early Morning drink but im going to get some espresso cartridges and gonna give those a try (y)
ahh quality defines quality xD if Thers one thing i adore its a good espresso, i for one happen to have a dolce gusto too mate :) it may not be as flattering but damn it makes a great coffee :)

Reactions: AndyS40
I usually have an double espresso or two first thing in the morning (dark roast Illy). Then have several filter coffees (fresh ground Starbucks beans) during the day. Prefer Starbucks to the likes of Costa not for any other reason plus Costco do a big bag of beans for about £6.

I've tried other blends including Jamaican Blue Mountain (which I thought was very overrated given buying drugs would be cheaper - think it was about £30 for 100gms). Probably like beer, nice to try new styles and brews but still have my favourites.

I would drink tea, if there was nothing else and a gun to my head but I don't enjoy it as much as coffee. Even an instant coffee would be preferable. Do enjoy green tea though and have that occasionally.

I probably should have a look at the Capsule machines and work out cost per drink to get an idea of how they weigh up against each other. Certainly the convenience of capsules is a factor.

Have to say that I hate Greek and Turkish coffee. Always try it but always hate it. Never take sugar in coffee so I guess that doesn't help.

Reactions: FortunaMagica
indeed :) i happen to find coffee very diversatile :-3 its quite impressive how many styles there are out there

In Italy they say: “An espresso should be as hot as hell, as black as the devil, as pure as an angel and as sweet as love."
That’s how I drink mine in the early morning.
Delicious! :)

Well a box of Dolce gusto capsules is £4 you get 8 servings from that if its latte etc or straight coffee 16 servings, so latte £0.50 cup and straight coffee £0.25 cup
not bad.

@Glen you have to balance things out so one cup of green tea every now and then is good :rolleyes:

Andy, though price of machine and the capsules/coffee is a small factor it is the same as anything it should be about what you enjoy. It is the same with beer. If I could only had say £10 for beer I would rather have three bottles of something I enjoy rather than a box of something really cheap. When we have been in France getting beer we gave been asked what is a good beer, the person looks at the price and just buys the cheapest they can see! That isn't wrong but get things you enjoy.

Capsules on Amazon work out even cheaper per cup/drink. I actually need to weigh the coffee I use and see how much it works out at. Not expecting my machine to break but will be worth knowing for comparison. I like the process of making an espresso and getting the coffee everywhere etc. But if I just want a quick coffee then I just reply "yes please" when Isobel asks if I want one. :D

Well a box of Dolce gusto capsules is £4 you get 8 servings from that if its latte etc or straight coffee 16 servings, so latte £0.50 cup and straight coffee £0.25 cup
not bad.

@Glen you have to balance things out so one cup of green tea every now and then is good :rolleyes:
not at all mate :) whats your favorite then ? XD

mines Espresso Caramel :-3
well that and Ristretto Ardenza :-3

Was at my Mum for the last week and she had got fed up with the espresso machine that she had and wanted to get a capsule machine. After some investigation the dolce gusto seemed to give the best balance compared to Tassimo machines.

Tesco had a Mini Me machine for £38 and mum had a £6 off voucher so it was only £32! Seems to do exactly what she wants. The cappuccino and latte I thought were very good. However, the sample espresso and Americano were a bit weak for my liking. I see that you can get stronger capsules which may be more to my taste. For what she wants it is ideal. There was also a £10 token for their online shop so it was possible to order 4 boxes for about £5.

I've inherited her old machine which is the bigger brother to mine. It is less fussy about which coffee you use but I'll probably stick with Illy. Occasionally make a latte for the Mrs but I tend to stick to espresso so overall the advantages of a capsule machine would probably be wasted on me.

For the price though I was pretty impressed as to how easy they are to use and you don't have to deal with coffee grounds afterwards.

i can recommend Espresso Ristretto mate :-3 the americano is to my liking when i feel like a relaxed cup of coffee :-3 still havent disappointed :p check the zoegas series theyre usually somewhat strong compared to americano :)

Users who are viewing this thread