Christmas Gift Ideas

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Christmas gifts can be a nightmare to choose. Usually I can get Iz a game or two and the associated walkthrough books, some alcholic beverages and some funny stuff. This year has been hard though as no games are being released and the question ‘Is there anything you want?’ was met with a shrug. She did mention that there were extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was astonished. How can you make them any longer? At least it would give me about 5 days of BF playing time because there is no way I need that much sleep.

So despite that bombshell I still managed to get a few things that I know she wanted.

Then I got the inevitable question. ‘What do you want?’

I suggested a Lamborghini Aventador SV (in yellow). A real one would be nice but a model would be OK. :)
Or the LEGO Saturn V kit. When I was younger (ok quite a few decades ago) I liked LEGO. There have been some of the kits that looked OK but nothing I would actually buy. Having been to Huntsville Alabama where they made the Saturn Vs and seen them it made be interested again and the LEGO kit looks good too. It was (just) within the nominal budget. But NO. :( Not being ungreatful but why ask?

In retaliation for that denial I have been searching for the short version of LotR. :D Preferably about 10 minutes long.

UPDATE: Found this, sat us down, pressed play. I said, just saved us about 10 hours.

UPDATE 2 (from accident and emergency): Good news, injuries are not life threatening and should be able to resume a normal life after a few operations. Some scars. :D

Being serious though, it isn’t what you get it is the thought behind the gift. Sometimes it doesn’t even have to cost anything - just giving your time can be valuable.

687AD089-BE59-4AE1-81BF-5F5166303089.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: lakaelo

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Before we were rudely interrupted by the server issue.....

I had ordered the LEGO kit as I found it for a normal price. That was sent out but on its travels got stuck at Stirling (about 8 miles away). It was there for a week so I phoned up the store and they agreed it was lost and sent out a replacement. Got an email with a tracking number and was able to follow its progress.

So yesterday I got a notification that it was out for delivery. Then I got a notification that it was out for delivery. Actually it was the replacement and the original and both got delivered at the same time! One is hoing back and the other will be the subject of one of my legendary time lapse build videos. Who can forget my garden bench build time lapse or the real time paint drying videos? :)

5CB3C931-07C8-4CDB-8D96-688F94C3C9B3.jpeg

RIZLOID

EL Claymortarer
NRU Member
10 Oct 2012
London
Before we were rudely interrupted by the server issue.....

I had ordered the LEGO kit as I found it for a normal price. That was sent out but on its travels got stuck at Stirling (about 8 miles away). It was there for a week so I phoned up the store and they agreed it was lost and sent out a replacement. Got an email with a tracking number and was able to follow its progress.

So yesterday I got a notification that it was out for delivery. Then I got a notification that it was out for delivery. Actually it was the replacement and the original and both got delivered at the same time! One is hoing back and the other will be the subject of one of my legendary time lapse build videos. Who can forget my garden bench build time lapse or the real time paint drying videos? :)

View attachment 4397
Was that the present you were going to send to the North Korea leader ?

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Here it is!!!!

So after receiving both kits (the original order and the replacement) I returned one of them. Today I received an acknowledgment email that they had received it. The email also said that the refund would be processed. OK, I could have done nothing but I couldn’t do that. Yes I would have got the money back but that is just wrong. So phoned them about it and will try and stop the refund.

Redd Tedd

NRU Member
26 Apr 2017
South West, UK
Here it is!!!!

So after receiving both kits (the original order and the replacement) I returned one of them. Today I received an acknowledgment email that they had received it. The email also said that the refund would be processed. OK, I could have done nothing but I couldn’t do that. Yes I would have got the money back but that is just wrong. So phoned them about it and will try and stop the refund.

:angelic: = Llama

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
If you wanted a decent display model of a Saturn V you could do a lot worse. Despite being LEGO there are few places externally where it is obviously made of bricks. There are few of the traditional brick peices used in the construction. It is very solid and you can still take the various stages apart. At £110 it is good value as the cost of the bricks are significantly more.

A model of the proposed Nova would be quite chunky! :D
1ECB182B-543B-4FD1-A23C-F8B0055BCB51.jpeg

Reactions: lakaelo

glenwilson

NRU Heed
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
So after phoning them to say I don’t need a refund, guess what? Yes, I got a refund for the full amount. Do they not listen. OK, I like something for nothing but £110 is different to £5 or where something would cost more to return than keep. I wouldn’t like it done to me so I don’t like doing it to others.

AFCBB72F-EF41-4589-9181-1C732EF6AED6.jpeg

The Saturn V has made it onto a shelfbut I think the support tower would look so much better. This can be purchased in separate brick form but it is also under review by LEGO for production as an official kit. :)

4C99F10E-D7A4-4448-93D4-D100F98D5C4E.png