Christmas Cake

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
These are the two Christmas cakes that I helped bring into the world (by doing some stirring and not much else). Iz did everything else. Took about 3.5 hours to bake. No naked flames near them as the amount of brandy that was used was a lot! And they get a daily dose of brandy to keep them moist until icing.

I have an incentive to get the mixer repaired as preparing the icing can take a fair bit of whisking.

Why 2? 1 for us and 1 for my mum.

4792F5A0 9144 438C 9422 14F404C29801

Burnt out food mixer parts. All replaced and it is working again. A little bit fiddly to do but relatively easy and a very satisfying result.

5F666091 627F 4E4C 835F 30820EEDA3E8 EB344BB1 58EA 4D31 87FA 00C898906E8E

Reactions: lakaelo
There are many German variations I think,

my mother from Franconia does it slightly different than the Dresdner Christstollen... but i have no clue about different countries :)

Are there other types of Stollen cake? Like French, Belgian? (Genuine question)
There are neither French nor Belgian Stollen, I’m afraid, it is a traditional German Christmas cake since centuries. It first came up in Dresden / Saxony.
It’s a rich yeast dough with raisins, chopped candied fruit, nuts and spices (sometimes marzipan is added as well); the top is always dusted with icing sugar.
The characteristic oval shape of the Stollen is supposed to symbolize the baby in the cradle - wrapped in white linen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread