Car Repair Saga

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Car went in for an annual service and that was included as part of the deal. I had previously been using an independent garage that were reasonable price wise but also good. Never had any issues with the work they did (the exhaust saga was a series of faulty parts).

Never owning a diesel engine car before and also the Duster's engine isn't the quietest I wasn't really sure what they sounded like. Isobel noticed that there was a ticking noise and also a chuffing that wasn't there originally. Because you get used to things if they appear gradually you don't notice them the way you do if there is a knocking sound from the suspension.

With my fecked knees I am not able to walk more the about 30 meters without a lot of pain. We do have buses up here but the distance to the stops would take be about 30 minutes to walk to. The garage I have been using had a large supermarket nearby with a café that I could camp in whilst waiting. The Dacia dealers are not that accessible by public transport.

The local dealer didn't have a courtesy car available but offered same day collect/drop which was fine. The service should have been straight forward but the noise seemed to be harder to diagnose. It eventually seems found to be a belt tensioner. The part is out of stock in the dealer. The part is out of stock in the UK!!! Seems to be on back-order so who knows where it is coming from. Back-order can mean 5-10 days before it is in stock. Apparently if a part is they will get you a hire car for the duration of the wait which also helps them speed things up.

So at this moment I am waiting to hear what is happening. Been stuck here for 4 days now. I could get a taxi to go to the shops but that would cost about £30. May be easier to just hire a car at this point.

As for the car, I still really like it. As for main dealers, it has just reinforced my opinions of them as beign general not great.

Dacia should change their commercial "Another one drives the Duster" to the original Queen lyrics... Seriously tho, sorry to hear about that; it's not acceptable. I read somewhere that one should avoid buying Samsung washing machines here as there are few doing service and repair and spare parts is a headache too.

Bad "post-sales service" in modern lingo?

Yes, main dealer, and the whole of UK doesn't have the spare part. If they don't supply a replacement we will have to hire a car as Isobel is working tomorrow and the first bus is about 08:50 and she has to be at work at 09:00!

I do understand that there can be part shortages for all sorts of reasons. But I was put through to the service department but it sounded like the phone was picked up and put on the desk. I hung up and tried again and I wasn't happy at that point to say the least. I was polite but forceful (whilst inwardly wanting to let rip with a full Falling Down you are too late to order breakfast!

I could get groceries delivered. But there are somethings I have to go out for and for me the car is essential now. I have a blue badge and have to walk with a stick. Standing hurts a lot as does walking. Yes I can do it but it is a very painful experience. Can't get a new knee because I'm not old enough!!!

Me at the moment: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
ohh this is really a pain in the ass...or knees...

i really don´t know the rights inthe UK but here in germany i would make them a good fire under there ass. lol

- think your car is still at the "newcar warranty" so you don´t have to pay for this broken part and repair?!? if they can´t repair it now or the part is not available...ok stick it back together and call me if the missing part have arrived. not possible, ok, than i need a courtesy vehicle for the time my car is camping in your shop. :)

also would sent a mail to dacia uk and "ask" if this is the normal dacia service you can expect in future. in most caes you get a really fast response from the company and "coincidentally" also from the shop. :D

Think the car will get banned for camping!!

Rental car not authorised yet but I have rented one anyway as I really need to get to the shops and stuff and also drop Isobel into work tomorrow. The public transport here is really awful. They have said that they should be able to contribute to the cost of the rental but not holding my breath on that. Could be a Fiat 500 which will be fun!

Warranty is borderline but as they don't expect these parts to break (ever) they are covering the cost.

Feel slightly calmer now but I wouldn't push my buttons too far! :D

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that, Glen.
In my opinion it’s totally understandable when your mood keeps on swinging - anyone’s patience would wear thin in such a situation.
I do hope that things will work out for you as soon as possible!

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that, Glen.
In my opinion it’s totally understandable when your mood keeps on swinging - anyone’s patience would wear thin in such a situation.
I do hope that things will work out for you as soon as possible!

Thank you. If it was a case of having a local car hire firm that you could get one easily when we needed it wouldn't be too bad. What really annoys me is when someone says they will phone you at 14:00 and they don't. I have been in that situation and even if you don't have any good news or any news you still phone when you say you are going to. Whilst there are usually rules there are also times when discretion can be used if a system is obviously failing to do what it is supposed to.

It took me a while to apply for a blue badge for parking. After seeing other people who appeared more able I applied, got assessed and got the badge. It does make things easier and less painful. I have never really thought of being disabled before and thought you needed to be more like someone in a wheelchair or a more obvious physical disability. With a car I hadn't really noticed how it was almost essential.

Anyway, it is Saturday and the football season has started!! :)

Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER
Current rental car! It is, er, quite small. Good job it has a glass roof as it gives a bit more headroom. To be honest the Fiat 500 is quite nice.seems well finished and is doing about 50mpg. Only issue is that I cannot see traffic lights as I sit quite far back.

IMG 3282

Reactions: lakaelo
Just be careful, don't hit any volvo cars, older brother of fiat didn't have good experience
volvo-571f717753ce7.jpg

Just be careful, don't hit any volvo cars, older brother of fiat didn't have good experience
volvo-571f717753ce7.jpg

A small car v a larger car will usually only have one winner. Cars, like all other products are generally made to meet requirements and standards but at a minimum cost. Bumps that would just need a bit of polish to repair now cost £££s/€€€s to repair. Designs now don't seem to be how strong or good can we make this but how cheap. The quality v cost v value - you can have two of these but rarely all three. Quality costs more.

Drove the missus into Edinburgh yesterday. A woman driver lane drifted nearly into me! I beeped (and may have given an internationally recognised hand gesture) at which point see went postal and tried to side-swipe us about three times plus a few other manoeuvres that were stupid and dangerous. If I had a dashcam and got her registration I would have reported it.

I'm not a perfect driver but do try to be (the boy racer in me left ages ago) but there are so many stupid drivers about nowadays. It is no longer a gender or age thing, all groups seem capable of having utterly stupid and irresponsible drivers. Though Lada Riva drivers (judging by YouTube evidence) seem to have a whole different set of skills (or lack of). :)
--- Post updated ---
would be nice it would have a sunroof to open. so you could stuck your head out to see the traffic lights :D

Yes! The Alfa Romeo GTV used to be like that. The only way I could drive it was with the sun roof open with my head sticking out. Italians must have a weird arm/leg length ratio! Either that or someone really mucked up the standards for human sizes!

Apparently the parts are in and should get it back late today or tomorrow which is a bit of a relief. Ignoring the lack of parts I'm far from impressed with their customer service. As the parts had been delivered, and the person on the phone knew without asking, why didn't they phone to say so?

Apparently the parts are in and should get it back late today or tomorrow which is a bit of a relief. Ignoring the lack of parts I'm far from impressed with their customer service. As the parts had been delivered, and the person on the phone knew without asking, why didn't they phone to say so?
to much work to call you twice. he also need to call you when the car is ready, so.....once is enough

to much work to call you twice. he also need to call you when the car is ready, so.....once is enough

After I lengthened the car hire for another two days though. <insert a varied selection of choice words here>

:mad::mad::mad:

Couldn't be without a car tomorrow as Isobel has her hospital appointment and she has enough worry without the how are we going to get there. £41 for one extra day or £49 for two days. Does that mean three days would have been £52? :)

After I lengthened the car hire for another two days though. <insert a varied selection of choice words here>

:mad::mad::mad:

Couldn't be without a car tomorrow as Isobel has her hospital appointment and she has enough worry without the how are we going to get there. £41 for one extra day or £49 for two days. Does that mean three days would have been £52? :)

WTF...you are paying the hire car?? lol i was thinking the dacia guys gave it to you. glen you are to good to this blokes.

As soon as the parts were on back-order there should have been a hire car or courtesy car available - that is Renault/Dacia policy. That should have happened on Thursday. No authorisation was received on Thursday and by Friday lunchtime still none. At that point we had to have a car for the weekend and definitely for tomorrow. They say we can claim it back so that will be the next battle.

Neither of the two local dealers are easy to get to by public transport. One is about 10 miles away and that requires three buses and a train the other one is about 3 miles away and doesn't have any buses without a lot of walking. When they offered a collect and drop that seemed the best option for just a service. When they collected the car there was only one bloke and he left the car he arrived in. That car has been parked in the road outside until about 30 minutes ago (they must have sneaked up and got it) for nearly 7 days.

I'm annoyed about the parts but can understand that happens. What I cannot forgive is the poor communications. They never phoned when they said they would. It was like pulling teeth to get information or updates and the smell of BS was strong.

I doubt that we will get it back today but hopefully will tomorrow.

Reactions: lakaelo
Now have the car back and it does sound a lot different. Obviously hard to compare to when I first got it but it now sounds like just a diesel car rather than a car/steam engine hybrid! Now just have the fun of trying to get a refund for the car hire from Renault.

Users who are viewing this thread