Can't run Win 8

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Spliffy33

Spliffy33

21 Sep 2013
Bordeaux, FR
Hi all,

I'm definitively a noob and will seriously think about my application !

Since last week, I'm hardly trying to install Win 8 on another SSD for my former computer.
I've finally succeed this afternoon, using my new computer to install from a USB drive with UEFI settings.
And when I install the SSD in the old computer, it boots from the SSD but black screen and white flashing cursor.

WTF !?

If you install win8 on system A, it also installs the drivers needed for the components on system A. If you then transfer it to system B it will try to load drivers for components it knew from system A, but dont exist on B. Furthermore Win8 will not resolve this while booting, so installing should always be done on the system where it is supposed to be used as well.

Er not strictly true, we do this at work quite a bit, it can be done but is a pain but normally should be boot in safe mode. I agree it would be a lot easier to do on the actual pc it's used in though.

My experience is when the originating system has a different type of setup, it can be done, but it's difficult to get it stable afterwards. As i understood from Spliffy's previous post about upgrading those two are fairly different by now.. So do agree, can be done but....

In the meanwhile: don't know the install-routine of win8 by head, but maybe a solution can be found in exchanging the disks after the file copy is completed (problem is, I dont know if the system requires a restart after the copy process).

Er not strictly true, we do this at work quite a bit, it can be done but is a pain but normally should be boot in safe mode. I agree it would be a lot easier to do on the actual pc it's used in though.

you must have some german ancestors. :D

how realistic is it for a home pc to going that way? even if waxxer said if you swap the system from a actual pc to a outdates system. and in that case i would say "its not possible". :D

Re : Can't run Win 8

@samoz : I can't boot in safe mode :
- Pressing F8 while booting from the SSD doesn't work,
- msconfig.exe in Win 7 from the HDD doesn't show Win 8.

@waxxzer :
I had to replace the motherboard (and new RAM too !) of my former PC and the system had correctly booted Win 7 from the HDD at first use...

Now I'm trying to install from the former PC but booting from the USB drive I've used yesterday gives the black screen too !
No more recovery blue screen which I have something to try with cmd.exe.

Isn't there something wrong with the BIOS !?

Real noob story : in fact, yesterday, I have first succeed to install another Win 8 on my new computer's SSD !
I don't know how because I was installing on disk 2 and not disk 0 !
A lot of programs lost, can't play BF4 Premium anymore (have to deal with register keys again I guess !) and had to remove the other Win 8 !
Then, I've unplugged my SSD and installed Win 8 on the right SSD !

What about the partition size for Win 8 ?
Yesterday, I've made a 40Gb partition but there are 15Gb free.
Isn't this partition made to protect the OS files, I mean, not using the OS partition to install other programs even if the 'Program Files' folder is already created, installing them on other partitions or drives ?
Using the other SSD partition only for big programs and not to save any documents ?
So, shouldn't the OS partition size better be 26Gb !?

All the programs want to be installed on 'C:/Program Files/...', all browsers download documents on 'C:/Users/Documents/Downloads' which you can easily get on Windows Explorer (in the tree view !) with the library shortcuts (with customized icons not a simple folder icon !).
But C: is the OS partition !
So, can you assign a different letter (B: for example) for the OS partition ? Will it run correctly then ?

Last edited:
Spliffy, when you change Mobo&processor on working system, it will no longer work most of times (the system A+B story), without some extra work (and that is trying to start in safe mode). For win8: hold shift and press F8 at the right time!

For the disk: if used before it was probably pre-partitioned. Win8 makes an extra partition for system files, but this is a rather small one. Normally when I install, files will be moved safely to an external disk first and then do the advanced option in setup and clear existing partitions and create new ones.

If you use the upgrade-edition, it will keep an windows.old folder, check on that. If it's there let me know, just dont delete it as it will fail.

I wonder why you would partition you SSD? You didnt have kept your old one to use as a second (D) disk?

Renaming the station letter shouldn't be a problem, except some links between programs, registry and such might fail. Advice is to do not.

Then the last advice: use SSD only for programs with high demands (like BF4). Sad thing is that Origin doesn't allow you to use more than one folder (Steam does!), so if you choose to install on C:, all origin-games you have and download will go there. For less demanding programs: install them to D:, at least that's what i did.

For downloads: normally you browser allows you to set a default location, or change it in explorer (treeview LOL) see pic below. Does also work for docs,music,pics and such!

2014 10 30 15 20 21

Attachments

• 2014-10-30 15_04_24-D (D_).jpg
    2014-10-30 15_04_24-D (D_).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Another thing to check is the BIOS settings for the SATA channels. If they are set to IDE mode and the SSD was set-up with the other option you will get boot disk missing and stuff like that.

Swapping the SSD with Windows can work but there are some caveats. Because of the hardware changes between the two PCs Widows will probably mump about it but it should be able to boot unless some of the chipsets are radically different.

Try formatting your SSD on a different PC and deleting the Primary partition as well or all partitions then try again...
No looked at all above threads but is it a new PC or old

Re : Re: Can't run Win 8

Cheers all !... And me !

I've finaly succeed in installing Win 8 on my daughter's computer !!!
I had to format the USB driver to NTFS file system and not as FAT32 as I could read with a MBR partition type for BIOS or UEFI computer !

@waxxzer : partitioning the SSD to isolate OS files from anything else !
So I did a 27Gb partition and there are still 5,3Gb free now !
That's what she has :
captur12.jpg

And that's what I have :
captur11.jpg

with a Windows.old folder and a Removed Apps.html file on the desktop !
I used the same installer !

Sad thing is that Origin doesn't allow you to use more than one folder (Steam does!), so if you choose to install on C:, all origin-games you have and download will go there.

Wrong ! My Origin is on C: and the Origin Games on B:, the other SSD partition ! You can set it in Advanced Parameters !

OK for donwloads, shortcut and icons changings !

Re: Re : Re: Can't run Win 8

Nicely done!

For windows.old removal: Comment supprimer le dossier Windows.old ? (in french!)
Removed Apps.html will list apps that where deleted, compared to: windows live account (if ever used), or if you upgraded from 8 to 8.1. You can safely delete it.

The setting in origing you mentioned can give problems, and you have to change before each time you want to install a game. I think Steam has a more friendly solution!

Re: Re : Re: Can't run Win 8

Cheers all !... And me !

I've finaly succeed in installing Win 8 on my daughter's computer !!!
I had to format the USB driver to NTFS file system and not as FAT32 as I could read with a MBR partition type for BIOS or UEFI computer !

@waxxzer : partitioning the SSD to isolate OS files from anything else !
So I did a 27Gb partition and there are still 5,3Gb free now !
That's what she has :
captur12.jpg

And that's what I have :
captur11.jpg

with a Windows.old folder and a Removed Apps.html file on the desktop !
I used the same installer !

Sad thing is that Origin doesn't allow you to use more than one folder (Steam does!), so if you choose to install on C:, all origin-games you have and download will go there.

Wrong ! My Origin is on C: and the Origin Games on B:, the other SSD partition ! You can set it in Advanced Parameters !

OK for donwloads, shortcut and icons changings !

New I was right Partition related ive had problems like that before
If you do a fresh install always delete the primary partition trust me im a doctor :D
Well MBR as you said

Re : Can't run Win 8

For now, no problem with Origin.
Be sure I deleted all the partitions before installing.

I've only installed Pre-Activated Win 8.1 Pro, no upgrade.
By mistake, I've installed it twice on the same SSD.
I was asked for from one I'd like to boot !

But it's not totally good yet !
While I was installing drivers from an online drivers detector, after having installed those from my MB's CD, I've lost my Windows Activation ! Finaly back !
But drivers are still missing if I believe my devices manager !

I'll try another online drivers detector.

Also, I have to deplore XMP overclocking failures, appeared even before my mistake...

Last edited:
i don´t like or use the online driver detectors. mostly they are crap and installing useless crap or spam also.

your main software like chipset, motherboard should updatet manualy and good programs will give you an info if there is a new update.

Users who are viewing this thread