Bread machine bread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
For routine bread we the machibe.

550gm flour
350ml water/milk
5gm salt
10gm sugar
5gm yeast

put the flour, milk and salt in the bowl. Add the sugar to the live yeast and mix together, it will gradually form a slurry. Add the yeast to the bowl.

for most breads where the majority of the flour is white the basic loaf setting is fine. Ifusing live yeast I give it an hour waiting time to enable it to get going. Dried yeast doesn’t seem to beed it.

5 hours later a loaf.

Had this machine for ages and is good for mixing dough, fruit loaves and even some cakes. Cost per loaf is about €0.5 including the cost of the machine. Usually make at least one loaf a week.

DCC619FE 0314 4FFA B3D9 B91A57830D9F 996A6628 DE1C 406A 9290 129B7AF8CC22 86753816 135E 419C 8DBF B5D10EAA3F44

the recept is equal to our basic bread. i am trying some new ingredients to bring some new flavours in the bred and i am very pleased with this one.

each of them in a bred. no quantity because you can´t say how many you like. so its a bit of tryout.

• raisins
  • some curry spice
  • some rose pepper spice
  • fried onions
  • pumpkin seeds and/or pumkin seed oil

Part of using the machine is a bit of an experiment. I found that if you use the same flour each time you get much more consistent results. I know this isn’t the same as hand making bread and I really want to try sourdough once we can get some rye flour but it is much more enjoyable than the bland sliced white loaf the supermarket sells. The other advantage of doing your own bread, in a machine or the oven is the smell. That fresh baked bread smell is so much better than an air freshener.

Hadn’t thought of some of those things but will try some. 👍🏼 First on my list to try is beetroot (Rote Beete) - I will grate the beetroot and add that but will definitely need reduce the liquid slightly.

Recipe was 100gm wholegrain flour, 450gm white flour, 350ml water (this included the 2 grated beetroots that were about 4cm in size), 10gm sugar, 5gm salt and 5gm dried yeast. Tastes better this morning though the beetroot is subtle. Dried yeast was still in date despite not using it for over a year!! Going to try a brioche next as we plan to have burgers later in the week (or not if the rolls are not successful). 🙃

Recipe was 100gm wholegrain flour, 450gm white flour, 350ml water (this included the 2 grated beetroots that were about 4cm in size), 10gm sugar, 5gm salt and 5gm dried yeast. Tastes better this morning though the beetroot is subtle. Dried yeast was still in date despite not using it for over a year!! Going to try a brioche next as we plan to have burgers later in the week (or not if the rolls are not successful). 🙃

I think dry yeast only has an expiring date because of regulations. It is said to get weaker but it will still work.

That looks superb. .
looks very nive and similar to some good bread from the bakery.

We find that the bread is sometimes tastier the next day.
for us it is totally the oposite. normaly we making the bread just in time so its ready in the evening and we lay it just on a wooden deck. so it can stay and cool down over the night and it stays crusty at the outsite. one day later the crust is more softer and lost a lot of this "crustiness". :D

That looks superb. We find that the bread is sometimes tastier the next day.

I only make bread for 2 people so I shifted to making 2breads (with 1.5 times the mass each) and take 1.5 into the fridge. That way we always have fresh bread.

And with your opinion you seem to represent bakeries tradition.

looks very nive and similar to some good bread from the bakery.

Thats why started making bread in the first place. I dont like the bread in Cologne. Its all soft and boring. Once I bought a bread with the words that I wanted the darkest bread they have and they gave me something I undeliberately punched a whole in with a finger while cutting it. That was the moment I searched the internet for baking sourdough :D

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
We really discoverred what we call German bread and looks exactly like your soughdough in a bakery near Winterberg. We have got bread from the Christmas market in Edinburgh which is pretty expensive but freezes well. Lidl France does a bread that is close but not quite the same. Cannot find anywhere over here that does that sort of bread so will need to try once flour (other than white) is available.

We normally feed the garden birds sunflower seeds! 😬 That looks really tasty though. The smell of fresh bread baking is better than any air freshener.

For years I've been saying I'll get a bread maker but never have, maybe I'll give it a bash one of these days. Never made bread just remember my granny doing it and standing the dough in a bowl covered with a cloth for it to rise or whatever it was it was doing :unsure:

For years I've been saying I'll get a bread maker but never have, maybe I'll give it a bash one of these days. Never made bread just remember my granny doing it and standing the dough in a bowl covered with a cloth for it to rise or whatever it was it was doing :unsure:

We have a Panasonic one for about 5 years now and it is great. Think the one before that was a Kenwood and was shite. Bread is definitely nicer and it is easy to do.

holy crap. they are expensive in uk. just had a look at amazon uk :unsure: we have a very "cheap" one from medion for around 60 €. this one had very good reviews and i am also still fine with the results.

Last edited:
Ours was about £100 4 or 5 years ago. After seeing the comment above went had a look at prices. 😳

Most of them all look the same and seem to use the same pan design if not the same pan. Only difference now seems to be a choice of colours. Hopefully ours will continue to work but if I had to pay that (£150 for the current model of ours) for a new machine I would. New version has a sourdough paddle which costs £20 if purchased separately though not sure how that makes a difference - need to investigate.

Actually was able to get live yeast today but still no flour of any kind, no bread packet mixes or dried yeast. That said, they did have a 10kg bag of chappati flour which was whole wheat but we just don’t have the space for it. Really want to get some rye flour.

Users who are viewing this thread