Away For A Week (rant)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
OK, My presence has been requested by my Mum to help her clear out her garage. That isn't a big deal but it could wait as it doesn't appear to be an urgent requirement. I don't mind doing it but it is a real pain.

I could fly down from Edinburgh to Heathrow. Total cost would be about £450 (£420 for flight and about £30 for car park). Allowing for for start to finish travel time that would take about 6 hours.

Train would cost about £250 and take about 7 hours.

Driving will take about 7 hours and cost about £90. Times are one direction and costs are for the round trip.

So driving it is. My mum has a 14 year old VW Polo so getting rid of the rubbish in that would take a lot of time too so having a bigger car will help.

The main trouble is that Isobel doesn't drive so there is no point leaving the car for her. Iz cannot get the time off to come with me. She works in Edinburgh and gets the train in. However, though we are only 2.2 miles from the station there is only 1 bus in the morning that she can get to the station. That isn't too bad as there should be enough time to get to the station.

I drop her and pick her up from the station. The problem is getting home in the evening. The train gets to the station at 18:26. When is the bus to our village? 18:06. When is the next bus? 20:06!!! So that means getting a taxi which costs £6 to go 2.2 miles. Plus the taxi drivers around here don't seem to be the most skilled I have ever seen.

It isn't the time or even the cost for me it is the inconvenience for Iz. Don't you just love parents? :)

Reactions: lakaelo
The only good thing is that I can finally listen to the music I like on the drive rather than the comprise we usually have! AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Fabulous Poodles and so on.

If you calculate only the costs, isnt there any service you can order doing that for her ?
I mean there are movement- and clearing out companies...

I think often it´s only an agrument to request you at home and spend time...
In my opinion it was surly one reason to invent skype e.g. ;-]

Have the same situation with my parents.
But be lucky until you have them, alive and not ill.... cancer is a cunt...

Attachments

• cancer.jpg
    cancer.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread