Argyll

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Spent a few days in Argyll last week as we had never been over there. The area is better known for "Mull Of Kintyre" by Paul McCartney. We didn't bother going to the Mull Of Kintyre as most people said that it wasn't worth it. Travelling there and back we had good weather but the day we had there was a bit wet and overcast so it wasn't very photogenic. We spent a fair bit of time watching birds and the shore at an observatory. Wasn't that much to see but the guy there was pointing out birds (small dots in the distance) but it was still fun and interesting. Did take quite a lot of video though which if I can get into something shortish I'll let you see that.

If you are staying in that area then I really would recommend the Bed & Breakfast Campbeltown as a place to stay. Really spacious rooms and a great breakfast - better than many hotels we have stayed at.

Another place to visit is Fyne Ales ( Fyne Ales ). Apart from buying their beer you can also do a brewery tour. They have an old and new brewery and one of the brewers takes you around and explains the process. They have loads of enthusiasm and are patient enough to answer questions (I had a few) and give advice as many of them started as home brewers! We left with quite a few bottles of beer!

Photos can be found at the link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenwilson/sets/72157652231920661/

Breathtaking landscapes, remarkable ancient sites and quiet beaches along a fascinating coastline – that’s what I call a perfect place to stay, ‘far from the madding crowd’.

Glen, I am deeply impressed by your stunning pictures, as they capture the beauty and the vastness of the unspoilt scenery very well.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Admittedly, when it comes to landscapes like these, I always go into raptures. :)

Thanks but have to admit many of these were taken by Isobel! Especially the ones above ground as my knees make it very hard to climb stairs. She has always been good at photography but doesn't do it that much now as lugging a DSLR is harder than a film camera.

Landscapes can be done in any weather but it was very misty much of the full day we were there so much of the scenery away from the coast wasn't looking it's best and even after some tweaking just looked as though it was taken in a cloud!

There had been sightings of dolphins but we never saw any. The water was too cold to go swimming so no whale photos. Sorry. :(

Thanks but have to admit many of these were taken by Isobel! Especially the ones above ground as my knees make it very hard to climb stairs. She has always been good at photography but doesn't do it that much now as lugging a DSLR is harder than a film camera.

Landscapes can be done in any weather but it was very misty much of the full day we were there so much of the scenery away from the coast wasn't looking it's best and even after some tweaking just looked as though it was taken in a cloud!

So Isobel is an adroit photographer as well, her pictures are really amazing.

Speaking for myself, I think that a stunning scenery is beautiful in any weather.
There is so much diversity in photos taken on a windy, hazy or gloomy day, as it creates a totally different atmosphere and mood which in return stirs distinct emotional responses. :)

Isobel is a good photographer but she doesn't thinks so!

Agree about scenic photos and weather. It doesn't have to be all blue sky and fluffy clouds and the opposite is normally true up here. Cameras are weather proof so rain (or snow) wouldn't stop me taking an image. Some photos are just a snap to remind us of what it looked like rather than trying to create something more artful. It isn't about having a "good" camera either. It is always amazing what people I an do and capture with the cameras in their phones. Sometimes just capturing an event is the important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread