Any advice for audio gear

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
The_Hellr1der

The_Hellr1der

Badmin deluxe
NRU Member
6 Nov 2020
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
HI Gents,

after being happy enough for a while with my bluetooth headset (sony wh-1000mx1) for game audio and some discord I am looking into upgrading that part of the battlestation a bit. What are you guys running around with and any tips?

Also secretly way to curious to your setups ;)

hi mate i use a beyerdynamic TYGR300R and a Samson meteor mic with a mic stand and iam quite pleased with that, if you want to improve your sound quality a separate mic and headphones setup works really good in my opinion

Reactions: The_Hellr1der
I'm running with a Yamaha MG12XU mixer, Rode NT-1 XLR mic, Antlion modmic as backup and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones.

I have beyerdynamic dt 990 pro and a modmic ^^

To be honest the modmic doesnt like my creative soundblaster Z soundcard. The microphone has very low signal and I cant make it louder digitally as far as I can see.
Creative is also not my best friend. Every time I reinstall windows I need at least one hour to get it running again

Just because beyerdinamic headset would have been EVEN more expensive.
Was a part of my last loan of a student job nothing I would have bought any day.

But the beyerdinamic headphone is the best investement ever. So nice listening to music with them at least rock and metal i assume if you are on the technoside its pretty boring.

I have beyerdynamic dt 990 pro and a modmic ^^

To be honest the modmic doesnt like my creative soundblaster Z soundcard. The microphone has very low signal and I cant make it louder digitally as far as I can see.
Creative is also not my best friend. Every time I reinstall windows I need at least one hour to get it running again

Just because beyerdinamic headset would have been EVEN more expensive.
Was a part of my last loan of a student job nothing I would have bought any day.

But the beyerdinamic headphone is the best investement ever. So nice listening to music with them at least rock and metal i assume if you are on the technoside its pretty boring.
i encountered similar issues with the modmic uintil i bought the XLR adapter and hooked it up to my mixer as well so i could control the sound levels better.

I have a Fiio external DAC and would like to get a dedicated headphone amp. Have Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones with Brainwavz angled memory foam earpads as the originals hurt my larger delicate ears. Also have a padded headband which helps for longer sessions. Definitely worth trying headphones if you can as, like any audio component they affect the final sound and remember they do a little while to run in.

My favourite earphones were Eers (cannot remember the model number) that moulded themselves to your ears) which had good sound isolation and good sound too. Quite spendy but very comfortable. Not sure if you can still get them and mine must be around somewhere.

Microphone is in the replacement cable which for me is adequate. Worth investing in a mic boom with proper isolation supports if you want to avoid noise transmission and also a pop filter.

Last edited:
Hi all and thanks for your setups ^^ and sorry for my late response.
Will be looking around now for some new goodies, also found my old ATH-M50x headphones, only to find that the earpads and headband are gone bad over time. @glenwilson How did you replace the earpads??

I have a "Gaming headset with boom mic" which work but are heavy and make my ears sweat after a while, in short they are shit ! and dont use them.
Then I have a set of "Bose noise cancelling wired headphones" that I use most of the time.
The Bose was a present from my kids some years back, but no mic ( has mic and vol+/- for the iphone use). The sound is really good and the noise cancelling out of this world.
Not tried the wireless ones (not available when I got mine)

Pros:
Light, superb sound, when n/c is on you hear nothing from the outside including wife moaning, just the music/game.

Cons:
A bit pricey, takes a AAA battery so if you forget to sw/off n/c battery is dead in 2 days. You'll miss phone calls, doorbells and deliveries at the door.
Even though it cancels the wifes moaning, you can still see the lips moving. :ROFLMAO:

If you get the chance to test them at a store, try turning the noise/cancel on with no music/sound for the strangest and weird sensation of your ear drums being sucked out very gently but in a nice way :giggle:

• Haha
Only if you bother to acknowledge their presence. Lips moving also doesn't mean anything is being said that warrants your attention more than t-bagging someone.

I have a Fiio external DAC and would like to get a dedicated headphone amp. Have Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones with Brainwavz angled memory foam earpads as the originals hurt my larger delicate ears. Also have a padded headband which helps for longer sessions. Definitely worth trying headphones if you can as, like any audio component they affect the final sound and remember they do a little while to run in.

My favourite earphones were Eers (cannot remember the model number) that moulded themselves to your ears) which had good sound isolation and good sound too. Quite spendy but very comfortable. Not sure if you can still get them and mine must be around somewhere.

Microphone is in the replacement cable which for me is adequate. Worth investing in a mic boom with proper isolation supports if you want to avoid noise transmission and also a pop filter.
Glen, how did you manage to replace the earpads, not looking that easy to be honest?

Getting them off is easy - they just pull off. Putting the replacments on is getting the seam in and then working around the pad. Once started it is easyish, just need to hold the initial bit in place as you work your way around. Then just rotate so they are the right way around. Some of the reviews said that the sound is compromised but I didn't notice any difference. The originals I found hurt my ears but the previous ones I had worn near continuously on long flights (10 hours) and these memory foam ones for 6+ hours. The headband also started to breakdown so got that too - that just zips on.

Not noise cancelling but the memory foam does help a lot with that.

Have got some Sure in-ear phones which were (and still are) great. But the leads have gone brittle and have started cracking so don't use them. Should really see if I can replace the leads.

272AD7A4 6C93 4C55 8688 9E26E058F0FA D4AFFE61 4483 486D 98B3 7606C683F64C 8207C22D 660B 4EE5 8BE2 E99AE55239E9 E60E6CB5 C7A0 4CB7 9D51 042A94743148

Getting them off is easy - they just pull off. Putting the replacments on is getting the seam in and then working around the pad. Once started it is easyish, just need to hold the initial bit in place as you work your way around. Then just rotate so they are the right way around. Some of the reviews said that the sound is compromised but I didn't notice any difference. The originals I found hurt my ears but the previous ones I had worn near continuously on long flights (10 hours) and these memory foam ones for 6+ hours. The headband also started to breakdown so got that too - that just zips on.

Not noise cancelling but the memory foam does help a lot with that.

Have got some Sure in-ear phones which were (and still are) great. But the leads have gone brittle and have started cracking so don't use them. Should really see if I can replace the leads.

View attachment 9200View attachment 9199View attachment 9201View attachment 9202
It looks like my m50x'es are gonna get upgraded on a short term, thank you so much Glen. Will take some patience but they still sound good, so worth the effort.

• Love
Reactions: glenwilson
Switched the pad on my headphones too after wondering why my ears always hurt.
Well I wear my headphones for more than 8h hours per day with university from home.

First only switched one to have a comparrison:

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 8
  • Wow

Users who are viewing this thread