Andys new setup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
One of the server rooms we run (I say we, it's actually one guy on the same floor as the room) is exactly like this:
View attachment 2879
(he also doesn't remove old cables but cuts the heads off and leaves them in, I have no idea why
but with about 50 more servers than in that but it's okay as I have to help him from now on :'(

...only the genius controlled the chaos. :D

Would be funny as hell if he were colour blind
It's the yellow cable mate
DOH! :joker:

To be honest for some situations leaving something in place is a safer option than removing cables as you never know what you may break by tugging on something. However, there does come a time when you have to bite the bullet and tidy things up!

When I worked as a mainframe operator for British Airways we used to have to cancel a batch that was running because it was looping or some other problem. Someone from Ops Support used to phone and say "cancel job number 5346". So Guy phones down and says Cancel job 8888, so I cancelled job 8888. He then says, nnnnoo, nnnnot 8888, 8476. I didn't know he had a stammer. Another place I was working I had to do an audit on servers and see what they were running. One server was really old (it was a faded beige colour) and was only there to do one job because the software was old and could only run on that machine and replacing it would cost about £10,000 for hardware and software. Was given the password for it and told DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN as we don't know if it will start again (it had been running probably for years). Signed in, was going through directory when the message "Windows is shutting down" appeared. Oh, crap! There was no way to stop it. Eventually had a blank screen. Pressed the on button and at that point wished I wasn't an atheist so I could pray! Fortunately it did start and I did admit what had happened even though I could have just carried on.

Another IT rule everyone should stick to - Never, EVER, EVER, make changes on a Friday afternoon!

Really was genuine. You are right though:

James Bond: "What is the code to disarm the nuclear bomb?"
Other Guy: "5555"
James Bond: "Entering code 5555 but you think they would have used something different"
Other guy: "Nnnn Nooo 5897, Oh f......."

THE END

Users who are viewing this thread