Amazon Echo Dot

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
OK, I got an Amazon Echo Dot. Yes, it does listen all the time blah blah blah (but at least it isn't Google).

I have an iPad that has Siri which does a lot of the same stuff but the Echo allows more timers and appears to be generally more flexible. It is good in the kitchen to set timers (note timers - Siri only allows one at any time) when cooking. You can set lights on or off. Play music or audiobooks and so on. The Dot was reduced for Black Friday and I thought worth a try.

Why? Well my Mum is getting on in age but is still quite active and seems to be mentally fine too. However, physically she has some trouble getting to switches, plugs etc. The Echo Dot will enable her to voice control a lot of her lights and switches by voice. For example, the front door light can be switched on if she has to answer it by just saying " Echo, turn on the front door light" and not have to worry about using an app or her phone. The front door light doesn't have a switch (it is an old house) so rather than have it on all the time it has a WeMo plug so it will switch on between sunset and 22:00 or if she is out it will be triggered by geolocation when she gets home. She is often out to pub quizzes and the theatre - has more of a life than we do!

It will be fun to see her argue with it when it goes silly or doesn't understand.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Obviously google mine ALL your data so would never have their hardware at all. Yes Amazon sell stuff but they don't have access top emails etc. like google does if you use them.

I think it will be useful for my Mum.

For some it may be a good substitute wife:
  1. You can talk to it for hours without a response.
  2. It will say "I don't understand you" (a lot)
  3. It will suddenly get turned off.
  4. You ask a question and it will misunderstand you and give you a completely different answer.
  5. It can read a bedtime story.
  6. It can predict the weather.
  7. Wakes you up at annoying times.
  8. Won't make you a coffee
  9. Looks OK
  10. Sounds OK
  11. It goes up to 11
  12. Goes red and look annoyed when you turn the mic off.

15. Will reply honestly to most answers, but has some easter eggs included
16. Just invest some bucks and it's yours
17. It will definately empty your pockets in amazon shopping madness

Reactions: glenwilson
20. As it gets older, it might need a bit of spanking to get it turned on :cautious::LOL:
21. Just before your birthday, if you moan persistently about how you really really need that new Makita Drillhammer and the latest GeForce Card, it'll make sure to get it for you but ends up paying with your credit card

20. As it gets older, it might need a bit of spanking to get it turned on :cautious::LOL:
21. Just before your birthday, if you moan persistently about how you really really need that new Makita Drillhammer and the latest GeForce Card, it'll make sure to get it for you but ends up paying with your credit card

With reference to #21, tried that once - didn't go well.

Subtle hints that I would like X for Christmas. Then unsubtle hints that I would like X for Christmas. That then escalated to REALLY unsubtle hints. Was asked "What would you like for Christmas?" Me: "X". Followed by more explicit hints. Apart from putting banners up around the house, lighting them with 200w flood lights it couldn't have been more clear that I would like X.

It was obvious that X had not entered the house so I purchased X and labelled it "from the cat" (she had a lot of cash saved up). Present opening on Christmas Day went OK until X was unwrapped. "You bought that for yourself" was unleashed. "No the cat bought it" was dismissed by silence.

Later it was the expected "I can't believe you did that" etc.

The killer was the "Why didn't you say you wanted that?" Me: :eek:

Can't even remember what X was now I am so scarred by it. It wasn't something expensive either so not like asking for a £3,000 camera or lens.

Reactions: tousledmonkey31

Users who are viewing this thread